PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King -One on One with Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB wants a 1 year deal, Brady wants a 2-3 year deal. Patriots have negotiating power since Brady will be 43.
Agree, but that's why I think there is a possibility he goes somewhere else, if in fact he wants to play until he's 45.

Brady did so many things this season that were uncharacteristic starting with his very first public words after they signed the contract to his "I just work here" statements. He just seemed very frustrated this season beyond anything prior. I just don't see why he would want to do the exact same thing all over again.

I hope he stays, even on a 1 yr extension. I just think that from everything we know (there's way more we don't know), from Kraft, Brady, Brady's dad, etc., that he will insist on a multi-year deal to ensure his playing future with the Pats or someone else. I don't believe he just retires if he can't reach a deal with the team.

Agree, but that's why I think there is a possibility he goes somewhere else, if in fact he wants to play until he's 45.

Brady did so many things this season that were uncharacteristic starting with his very first public words after they signed the contract to his "I just work here" statements. He just seemed very frustrated this season beyond anything prior. I just don't see why he would want to do the exact same thing all over again.

I hope he stays, even on a 1 yr extension. I just think that from everything we know (there's way more we don't know), from Kraft, Brady, Brady's dad, etc., that he will insist on a multi-year deal to ensure his playing future with the Pats or someone else. I don't believe he just retires if he can't reach a deal with the team.
Insisting on a multi year deal will be the quickest way for him to be playing QB somewhere else.

Insisting on a multi year deal will be the quickest way for him to be playing QB somewhere else.
Not really.
Let’s say both sides feel 30 mill is fair. (You can change the number however you want it doesn’t matter)
The team would likely want to not take the while 30 this year. But it doesn’t really matter.

To take the whole 30 this year it’s a straight salary and future years are irrelevant because they go away at retired or cut.

If they want to reduce it then they give him 30 mill cash this year and choose how much they want to push into the future. If he is cut or retires the 30 mill cash is all that hits.

There is really no negative to a long term deal unless you guarantee salaries beyond year 1 which I don’t think anyone expects at 43.

I think a 2 year deal works better for all involved. You can get him for less. Maybe he accepts a 2 year 46mil deal with 1 year fully guaranteed and the second dependent on starts and easy incentives. Simple ones like games started, 20TDs, or whatever. One year deal you are looking at 25mil+ and he's still the best option for them. It's too soon for a rebuild they have a shot next year with a few changes.

But he has no more security in a long term deal unless it’s guaranteed and I don’t think you expect anyone to guarantee 2021 and beyond, do you?
Whether he signs a 1 year or 10 year contract 2021 won’t be guaranteed so he can be released. If that team wouldn’t have wanted to sign a second 1 year deal had they gone that route, they would just cut him after year 1.

I think a 2 year deal works better for all involved. You can get him for less. Maybe he accepts a 2 year 46mil deal with 1 year fully guaranteed and the second dependent on starts and easy incentives. Simple ones like games started, 20TDs, or whatever. One year deal you are looking at 25mil+ and he's still the best option for them. It's too soon for a rebuild they have a shot next year with a few changes.
It all depends on what the team wants to do with the cap. The length is just a way of spreading year 1s cash. There is really no negative to the team to a long term deal unless they crazily guarantee years when he will be 44 and older.

It all depends on what the team wants to do with the cap. The length is just a way of spreading year 1s cash. There is really no negative to the team to a long term deal unless they crazily guarantee years when he will be 44 and older.
I agree they can work out a format that works the cap just fine. Alot of people on here are confused about the fact that you won't win any championships anytime soon without him. Is it too late? Maybe, but maybe not. This year a few less injuries, Sanders instead of Sanu and a few other things and we would be looking at AFC Championship game again. It's not time to rebuild. TB12 looks motivated to not let this happen again. Sign him and deal with the cap later. We will have years and years of being back down to earth when he's gone. Why waste next year?

I want tom back but at what expense? He doesn’t wanna take a discount so then how can they make this team better around him? A team that needs a tight end, a good wr next to edelman. Also other pieces like a DL etc.

I want tom back but at what expense? He doesn’t wanna take a discount so then how can they make this team better around him? A team that needs a tight end, a good wr next to edelman. Also other pieces like a DL etc.
What's the difference? What does that mean 'at what expense'? They can work his contract to make it work for next year as far as cap hit. What I don't understand is alot of you seem to be of the believe that you can win without him because you have BB. You need both. This year, and last year are great examples. You needed Brady magic just to make the SB last year and this year you didn't get it. You can't win with just BB and some other QB. Ask other franchises who pray just to make it to a single superbowl. Give him his 2 year deal and suffer the cap later if need be. It will be during a rebuild. TB will not ask for 30 mil. He wants 2 years at a fair pay. Push the cap hit down the line and LFG.

What's the difference? What does that mean 'at what expense'? They can work his contract to make it work for next year as far as cap hit. What I don't understand is alot of you seem to be of the believe that you can win without him because you have BB. You need both. This year, and last year are great examples. You needed Brady magic just to make the SB last year and this year you didn't get it. You can't win with just BB and some other QB. Ask other franchises who pray just to make it to a single superbowl. Give him his 2 year deal and suffer the cap later if need be. It will be during a rebuild. TB will not ask for 30 mil. He wants 2 years at a fair pay. Push the cap hit down the line and LFG.

Well let me ask you this do they have enough money to resign brady get him a wideout and resign dmac? They’re gonna lose some players but that’s the part of the game. They really need a tight end as well.

I agree they can work out a format that works the cap just fine. Alot of people on here are confused about the fact that you won't win any championships anytime soon without him. Is it too late? Maybe, but maybe not. This year a few less injuries, Sanders instead of Sanu and a few other things and we would be looking at AFC Championship game again. It's not time to rebuild. TB12 looks motivated to not let this happen again. Sign him and deal with the cap later. We will have years and years of being back down to earth when he's gone. Why waste next year?
They were close this year. Had most of the wr moves worked out instead of all failing they be in the hunt to win it all.

Well let me ask you this do they have enough money to resign brady get him a wideout and resign dmac? They’re gonna lose some players but that’s the part of the game. They really need a tight end as well.
Way more than enough.

They can do all of it. People pay QBs. You guys act like no one has a 20+ cap hit on a QB. When TB leaves this whole dynasty is gone. There will be no more team friendly contracts. You will find out very quickly that just making the playoffs once in a while is a big thrill. Why care about these contracts you speak of? If he walks and you roll with Stidham it won't matter who else you have. You aren't winning the division especially with that schedule next year. If Brady were to ask for 35mil that would be one thing, but the same pay as this year in a 2 year deal? Brady has been reasonable for 20 years he won't change now. Just find a way to make it work and deal with the rest later. If it turns out TB sucks, you didn't lose much because you aren't winning without him this year anyway.

Signing a multi-year deal with zero guarantees is not going to work, because like Ring says, they can just cut him after year 1.

1. BB probably wants a 1-yr deal with no guarantees, and maybe a small raise ($25-27M);
2. Brady wants a 2-3 year deal with some declining guarantees (100% yr 1, 50% yr 2, etc, or whatever) and maybe a lower avg.

This is where they were last summer. They all agreed to a 1-yr deal with no guarantees, voidable years, and no franchise tag. Brady said of that deal "it is what it is." He was not thrilled about that "prove it" deal and seemed pouty all season.

I think this is the very last contract Brady signs with anyone. He probably knows that if he goes with 1-yr it will be his last. He also knows his best chance of winning (what he wants aside from playing till 45) is to stay.

He is in a predicament. His dad said it is up to Bill and the end would be ugly. Problem he has is no input or knowledge on what happens with rest of the team, same as this year. If they don't extend by March 18th, team takes a $13.5M dead cap hit, so team also has slight pressure to bring him back in.

Idk what will happen, but my guess Bill balks at multi-year w/ any guarantee, Brady gets an offer by another viable team for what he wants and takes it. In that scenario, they both lose.

Not really.
Let’s say both sides feel 30 mill is fair. (You can change the number however you want it doesn’t matter)
The team would likely want to not take the while 30 this year. But it doesn’t really matter.

To take the whole 30 this year it’s a straight salary and future years are irrelevant because they go away at retired or cut.

If they want to reduce it then they give him 30 mill cash this year and choose how much they want to push into the future. If he is cut or retires the 30 mill cash is all that hits.

There is really no negative to a long term deal unless you guarantee salaries beyond year 1 which I don’t think anyone expects at 43.
Cash is one thing. Dummy years, etc.

An actual firm commitment to Tom stating he will be the starter for multiple years won't happen. Regardless Tom isn't expecting the NEP to make that kind of commitment anyways so the point is moot

Cash is one thing. Dummy years, etc.

An actual firm commitment to Tom stating he will be the starter for multiple years won't happen. Regardless Tom isn't expecting the NEP to make that kind of commitment anyways so the point is moot
That won’t happen anywhere. Such a thing doesnt exist.

I'm the opposite I read that as a sign of him definitely coming back
IMHO it was intentionally written to be able to be read both ways; that way the statement covers whatever happens and he never has to ask why he changed his mind after issuing the statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes