PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Peter King retires

His column was a good excuse to waste 10-15 minutes Monday mornings. He had excellent ability to write about the obvious. I took most of his takes with a grain of salt.

Man SI was IT growing up…the absolute best of the best and I always looked forward to it hitting the mailbox.

Now it’s totally irrelevant.

I love the options now and subscribe to BSJ, The Athletic, and a Georgia Bulldog site but do miss the days of SI and actual printed magazines.
The good old days of SI...

Last edited:
Columns became way too long of a read. On and on and on and on

Peter King is only 66 - awfully young for a bloviator to retire. I enjoyed his bloviating over the years and sometimes wondered if he was reading this board before firing up the old gasbag for a commentary on the Patriots. He's a local guy from Springfield, so he had that NY Giants/New England Patriots thing going. I doubt he'll be gone from the podcast scene where bloviators can bloviate into the ether about anything without a feather moving in the wind. Bye, Felicia!

I really enjoyed his Monday Morning column for about a decade or so, but I haven’t really paid much attention to him for a while. With social media news is getting out so much faster and you don’t need to pay as much attention to columns like his.

Kudos to King

Wow, mad respect to him for being so direct about his regret on this. So many reporters have gone back and pretended it never happened. (Mort, many others)

Wow, mad respect to him for being so direct about his regret on this. So many reporters have gone back and pretended it never happened. (Mort, many others)

Yeah, but he still doesn’t get it. He mentions Goodell was killing an ant with a sledgehammer. He then points out that Brady’s passer rating on the road was close to his rating at home.

Saying there was an ant suggests there was a minor violation. Wrong, there was no ant.

It was unnecessary to compare Brady’s home road splits.

The pressure of the balls changed exactly in line with the temperature and game conditions. The were dozens of science and engineering professors that pointed this out. An MIT professor even made an hour or so long video explaining it in detail.

King never understood that. He talked about it, but as though it was a possible theory. He is an idiot. This is middle school science and he never fully grasped it.

I don’t care that he reported the inflation levels inaccurately initially. NFL executives lied. That’s on them. I cared about reporters like him not believing or being skeptical of the ideal gas law. If he and others reported that with the same gusto they did the original report, the story would have ended and with Goodell looking like the liar and moron that he is.

Yeah, but he still doesn’t get it. He mentions Goodell was killing an ant with a sledgehammer. He then points out that Brady’s passer rating on the road was close to his rating at home.

Saying there was an ant suggests there was a minor violation. Wrong, there was no ant.

The pressure of the balls changed exactly in line with the temperature and game conditions. The were dozens of science and engineering professors that pointed this out. An MIT professor even made an hour or so long video explaining it in detail.

King never understood that. He talked about it, but as though it was a possible theory. He is an idiot. This is middle school science and he never fully grasped it.

I don’t care that he reported the inflation levels inaccurately initially. NFL executives lied. That’s on them. I cared about reporters like him not believing or being skeptical of the ideal gas law. If he and others reported that with the same gusto they did the original report, the story would have ended and with Goodell looking like the liar and moron that he is.
Sure, but eh. I'm not going into that now. Not going to beat people over the head about the minor details about everything now. it's been a decade.

There's another aspect of Peter King not getting it that stood out to me: King says it bothers him that he got the story wrong, but he was simply repeating what trusted sources told him. He didn't interview any Colts or Patriots personnel that evening. He didn't test the PSI in any footballs. What should upset him is who lied to him, why they did, and why he didn't do anything as a result.

King said "It doesn't matter who I talked to, it doesn't matter who told me anything. It's my rear end on the line when I say something, when I confirm a story. And I was wrong." It absolutely DOES matter who he talked to. It's logical to conclude that King's sources were higher-ups at NFL HQ. They would have been the only party that had access to the PSI data or been able to confirm it.

A highly decorated, multi-time Super Bowl champion and the most successful franchise this century being accused of cheating right after they earn a spot in another Super Bowl is a huge story. I can't fault King for reporting what he was told and then making the rounds on TV and radio to discuss it. When he found out that the story he was told was wrong his reaction was "Golly gee, I feel terrible about getting it wrong." How about this? The NFL feeding false information to journalists to make a team look guilty is also a huge story and King completely ignored it. He feels ashamed that he got it wrong? Then he could have written an article in 2015 asking why the NFL misled him and his audience.

The league knew Mortensen's report was wrong. By mid-week after the AFCCG, when everyone had calmed down a bit, they could have issued a statement saying the "11 out 12 balls" report was incorrect, but they'll conduct a full investigation. Instead, the league let that narrative gather momentum. Even when the Patriots legal department wrote a letter to the league, requesting they clear up the false reports, the NFL responded that they didn't see the need to do so. King had zero curiosity about why any of this happened, probably because if he made an issue of it, he wouldn't be able to have chili with Goodell, his sources may not return his calls, or his appearances on Sunday Night Football might disappear. Peter King regrets his deflategate reporting? Not as much as he should.

Kudos to King

Basically **** Peter King. That mother ****er did an embedded week with the refs a year before deflategate and part of the week included measuring and inflating the balls.

There used to be video where one of the refs was measuring the balls and one remarked "close enough". Asshat Peter King was one of the FEW who would have been privy to how little the NFL gave a **** about PSI until the next year! That asshat should have just brought up that video and said, why do you give a **** today and not last year about PSI?

In closing, **** Peter King.

I liked The Sporting News myself. Back when it was a newspaper format and they had team updates for EVERY team. It was fantastic. Once they went magazine format, it became focused more on 'emotional' stories. I hate that junk. Give me data and analysis!

If I'm not mistaken, @Palm Beach Pats Fan had email conversations during this whole fiasco known as Deflategate.
Yes, I discussed with him, in plain English, how the math shows that the pressure measurements were fully explained by the temperature changes. By email and by phone.

He thanked me and mentioned our discussions in his column. But he also waffled and went to the position that "SOMETHING probably happened, we will never know for sure, but it's not a big deal"

He seems to regret the waffling now

Yes, I discussed with him, in plain English, how the math shows that the pressure measurements were fully explained by the temperature changes. By email and by phone.

He thanked me and mentioned our discussions in his column. But he also waffled and went to the position that "SOMETHING probably happened, we will never know for sure, but it's not a big deal"

He seems to regret the waffling now

He was too tight with NFL executives and I feel that clouded his judgement for the last 20 years. Also, he probably heard Patriots and cheating and was like a shark with chum in the water.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back