PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for Ravens CB Shaun Wade

Regardless of where we play wade, the fact is he is a rookie.

with a healthy Gilmore, this defense is lethal. Without him, there is a huge hole to fill.

neither slowjuan, mills or m Jackson is capable of starting opposite of c Jackson!
then how do you explain Williams shutting down DSmith last week? Is Smith the bust?

Could very well be. I'm not on any of these platforms, so I wouldn't know. Its just that after reading several pages of glowing reports on this kid. Great size, Great speed, Great arm length. (would love to see his 3 cone time) the fact he was considered a first round pick who dropped due to a bad year but fighting an injury and the general dislocation of playing college football in 2020. You'd have to say WOW, we got a real steal. What a prospect. And didn't I see a poster where they had him rated as one of the top 3 rookie CB's in man coverage this preseason. RIght?

Well you have to wonder why he's available. 6'1 CB's with 34" arms and with 4.4 speed don't grow on trees. I'm wondering who the hell are the 5 guys the Ravens think are better than him, So him having a bad attitude seems to ring true. Could be BS, but you have to wonder.

At any rate, I hardly think that the 6th best CB (we hope) on the Ravens is going to have much of an impact on the 2021 Pats outside of ST's and deep depth. We got a developmental player for the developmental player price and I hope he's a starter NEXT year.
Many players are cut or traded by one team and have success on another. Not really here to debate that, just wanted to point out that it’s silly to give any credence to some guy who is a fan of the team that traded him saying his friend told him
crap about the guy that is obviously fabricated.

I dunno, sounds kinda made up to me. If he sucked at outside corner and refused to play inside the right coaching move would be to bench him. It's not like Alabama is so low on talent that they couldn't replace him.
I heard that his lack of attendance at Alabama practices and games was a real show-stopper for them. It was almost like he thought he played for another team. ;)

Regardless of where we play wade, the fact is he is a rookie.

with a healthy Gilmore, this defense is lethal. Without him, there is a huge hole to fill.

neither slowjuan, mills or m Jackson is capable of starting opposite of c Jackson!
Maybe they should stop a run or two before we declare the defense lethal...

Maybe they should stop a run or two before we declare the defense lethal...
Maybe they should allow one or 2 before you assume they can’t.

So, he had a 0.00 Passer rating with an Interception on the 25 times the receiver he was covering was targeted. But, NO. He wasn't having a "productive" camp. *SMH*.
how can someone read this thread, see the pff ranking and then see that stat sheet and post that he wasn't having a productive camp.

how can someone read this thread, see the pff ranking and then see that stat sheet and post that he wasn't having a productive camp.
Perhaps that wasn't the right word. He wasn't beating out any of their current cbs to earn a roster spot, no matter how great those preseason stats appear. If he was such a clear cut stud they'd have found a way to keep their 2021 pick on their roster.

Perhaps that wasn't the right word. He wasn't beating out any of their current cbs to earn a roster spot, no matter how great those preseason stats appear. If he was such a clear cut stud they'd have found a way to keep their 2021 pick on their roster.

And another team would have offered more than a 2023 5th rounder for him.

Could very well be. I'm not on any of these platforms, so I wouldn't know. Its just that after reading several pages of glowing reports on this kid. Great size, Great speed, Great arm length. (would love to see his 3 cone time) the fact he was considered a first round pick who dropped due to a bad year but fighting an injury and the general dislocation of playing college football in 2020. You'd have to say WOW, we got a real steal. What a prospect. And didn't I see a poster where they had him rated as one of the top 3 rookie CB's in man coverage this preseason. RIght?

Well you have to wonder why he's available. 6'1 CB's with 34" arms and with 4.4 speed don't grow on trees. I'm wondering who the hell are the 5 guys the Ravens think are better than him, So him having a bad attitude seems to ring true. Could be BS, but you have to wonder.

At any rate, I hardly think that the 6th best CB (we hope) on the Ravens is going to have much of an impact on the 2021 Pats outside of ST's and deep depth. We got a developmental player for the developmental player price and I hope he's a starter NEXT year.

The Ravens CB group (in no particular order):
Marcus Peters, Marlon Humphrey, Chris Westry (6'4), Anthony Averrett, Nigel Warrior, Brandon Stephens (2021 - 3rd round),Tavon Young, Jimmy Smith.

Peters (1) and Humphrey(2) are the entrenched outside CBs. The Ravens are REALLY high on Westry(3) and Stephens(4). They have Jimmy Smith(5) who is still adequate in that secondary. Averett(6) played in about 1/3 of the defensive snaps last year. Warrior, Young, Averrett and Wade were basically battling for 1-2 spots

The following blurb was written before the Ravens cut Richards and before Jimmy Smith got carted off in practice with a low ankle sprain. The article mentions that they expect the Ravens to keep 6-7 CB.. And that they also put 2 corners on IR already.

Bubble Battle at Defensive Back

That's because the Ravens have so many CBs in front of him. They had 11CBs at one point in camp. They've IRed two of them. They have Peters, Humphrey, Smith, Westry, and Stephens (2021 - 3rd pick) ahead of him. They also had 2 vets that he was battling with in Averrett and Young. Stephens wasn't exactly lighting it up for the Ravens, but he was their 3rd round pick.

Did you stop to think that maybe they realized that short of other injuries, there was no real way to keep Wade? That trading him was better than losing him to waivers? Or did you stop and think that maybe the Patriots reached out about Wade specifically and they weren't interested in Warrior, Young or Averrett, so the Ravens felt that the Pats offer was the best one available?

Apparently he had a good enough attitude (or at least played well enough) to be considered a top-10 pick as recently as less than a year ago.
I’m not saying that the post is true or false….just throwing it out there. More likely, the truth is somewhere in the middle. He may have thought that he was “the man” coming into 2020 and knew that he could get away with acting up at the college level. I’m ok with arrogant at age 20 as long as he is smart, because a smart kid will realize that he is in a whole new world now and that being late to meetings or b*tching about his usage is a thing of the past. A smart kid will also realize that if he keeps his mouth shut and does what the GOAT head coach and his position coach want him to do, that he could be a rich man in a few years.

Imagine this scenario:

BB: Welcome, Shaun. We are looking forward to working with you. I know that you played multiple positions in college but we’re gonna start with you in the slot.

Wade: Thanks, coach, but I feel that I’m an outside guy, so I’d really prefer to work at that spot.

BB: Sure, Shaun. 1630060289573.gif

When you really break it down, the value the Patriots gave up is essentially the same as if they traded for the Ravens 5th round pick in the 2021 draft. So they gave up two future picks for one current one, which is pretty standard.

That's because the Ravens have so many CBs in front of him. They had 11CBs at one point in camp. They've IRed two of them. They have Peters, Humphrey, Smith, Westry, and Stephens (2021 - 3rd pick) ahead of him. They also had 2 vets that he was battling with in Averrett and Young. Stephens wasn't exactly lighting it up for the Ravens, but he was their 3rd round pick.

Did you stop to think that maybe they realized that short of other injuries, there was no real way to keep Wade? That trading him was better than losing him to waivers? Or did you stop and think that maybe the Patriots reached out about Wade specifically and they weren't interested in Warrior, Young or Averrett, so the Ravens felt that the Pats offer was the best one available?
Or did the Ravens realize they had two CBs and could only keep one so asked around if anybody would be interested in either of them and got the best offer from the Patriots for Wade? They could’ve been shopping one of the others and had the Pats say no interest for him but if you offer us Wade we can talk. Lots of possible scenarios. We will never know exactly how it went down, all we know is the outcome. Which looks like the Pats got a good prospect as a developmental project.

If it’s between Wade & Westry, we got the better player. Wade just had a rough 2019 due to injury.

and he had an up and down camp, but game time he played well. I put a lot more stock on how he looked game time than how he looked with the qb having 5 seconds in the pocket in 7 on 7 and the WR knowing he is not going to get hit.

I really think TC practices can be useful in judging players in the running game and pass rushing drills. But for DBs and wideouts when QBs have 5 seconds to throw and the qbs performance themselves I take with a grain of salt. Fine for studying technique and route running, but getting open and coverage, it is not very useful. I have seen stories during camp written on how a DB got beat or a wr broke free on plays that lasted as long as Manning to Tyree. Now if one of the the coaches called Wade out on his performance, that is something else, but beat reporters and fans not so much.

He is a developmental player, he got picked 160 for a reason.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back