PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Official Unofficial 53-Man Roster: Pre-Season Edition

Wise did seem to be a bit of a mystery to some when he got his contract extended , however he does seem to be playing better this camp. He has been mentioned a few times in tweets etc.....maybe we can seem in in game action against the Panthers
He has a specific role and it’s one that doesn’t tend to standout. He’s a valuable player but goes unnoticed. Like of like a solid backup IOL.

Nobody is gonna claim asiasi. So we can elevate from PS if need be . Our receivers anyways block better than advertised . So should hold up for worst case scenario.

I wouldn't want to lose a potential 2023 playmaker ( sam roberts/Ray / Nixon) because we wanted to accommodate asiasi .

Asiasi would be picked up by multiple teams. There is a better chance of releasing and resigning a veteran like Hoyer or Guy or Anderson or Ferentz or Mitchell. The veteran will most likely pass waivers and then the Patriots can pay him later.

Asiasi is way closer to being needed on the field than those guys. TE3 is a necessity. Guys not ready to contribute who might in the future aren’t. Those 3 will or won’t make it on their merits but the reason early round picks stick and don’t play as rookies and later ones have to contribute now is that if they had vast upside they would be picked earlier. Many later picks or UDFAs have higher floors but lower ceilings than early picks which is why those guys can make the team but usually don’t progress a lot, with exceptions of players who were misevaluated like Butler or dropped for non talent reasons like JC.
Makes sense. Yet to see asiasi's Athleticism translate into something tangible. Can't we do what asiasi does with a 3rd string TE?

Makes sense. Yet to see asiasi's Athleticism translate into something tangible. Can't we do what asiasi does with a 3rd string TE?
Well I think the point is we need a TE3 whether it’s Asiasi or someone else. He seems to be the best we have right now.
He has only played 213 snaps, as a rookie, with a Legarmed QB and 12 last year, so it would be hard to see his potential translate yet. If it can/will.

Not sure about Davis versus Schooler, but do we need both?
Davis was one of our 3 top STer's last year. If Schooler is ready to be active and replace one our top 3, then he will make the 53. For me, NOT. If Davis is to not make the team, I think that it is more likely that Belichick signs a vet and pay even less than vet minimum.

3) I think that Davis is one our top three Ster and will make the 53, Davis is a good ST only player.
4) Losing both McGrone and Perkins would be a serious blow. Did I miss them being put on IR? Neither McGrone or Perkins have done much in camp...you may have missed that.
3) How many STO players did we keep last year? How many do we usually keep?
IMO having THREE,(Slater, Bethel AND Davis) is a very low number. I certainly am prepared to be shocked by Belichick goes with TWO, finally giving in the beliefs of many here that STO players are really not that importance.

4a) Again, I think that cutting a 3rd rounder who was injured is just NOT Belichick's history. I think that he will get another chance to develop,

4b) McGrone is a bit different. He wasn't expected to contribute at all until 2022. IMO, the issue for him is NOT performance in camp. The issue is a medical evaluation.

I have probably screwed up somewhere and missed something important out but hey its only a guess...lol

QB (3) M.Jones, B.Hoyer, B.Zappe
RB (5) R.Stevenson, P.Strong, K.Harris, T.Montgomery, D.Harris
WR (6) J.Meyers, D.Parker, K.Bourne, T.Thornton, N.Agholor, M.Slater
TE (2) H.Henry, J.Smith
C (2) D.Andrews, J.Ferentz
G (4) M.Onwenu, Y.Durant, A.Hambright, C.Strange
T (4) I.Wynn, T.Brown, Y.Cajuste, J.Herron
DE (1) D.Wise
DT (4) L.Guy, C.Barmore, L.Ray, D.Godchaux
ILB(4) J.Bentley, C.McGrone, M.Wilson, R.McMillan
OLB(3) M.Judon, J.Uche, A.Jennings
CB (6) M.Butler, Jo.Jones, J.Mills, Ja.Jones, T.Mitchell, M.Jones
SS (3) K.Dugger, A.Phillips, J.Bledsoe
FS (3) D.McCourty, J.Peppers, C.Davis
ST (3) N.Folk, J.Bailey, J.Cardona

Probably need a second DE but who .....anderson ??

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2021
OFFENSE
IMO, Durant and Hambright should be considered a placeholder for an OG to be acquired.
I don't think that there is much danger of someone else picking up Harris (the draftee).
So, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 53 without Hambright, Durant and Harris, with no replacements from our present squad.

DEFENSE
yes, Anderson for now until a better veteran is acquired.
I expect us to carry an additional LB (Perkins or McGrone). Realize that the day after the 53 is named, the player can be put on IR.
Obviously, Butler is gone. I expect us to keep Bethel.
For me, Bledsoe is a fine choice for PS.

3) How many STO players did we keep last year? How many do we usually keep?
IMO having THREE,(Slater, Bethel AND Davis) is a very low number. I certainly am prepared to be shocked by Belichick goes with TWO, finally giving in the beliefs of many here that STO players are really not that importance.

4a) Again, I think that cutting a 3rd rounder who was injured is just NOT Belichick's history. I think that he will get another chance to develop,

4b) McGrone is a bit different. He wasn't expected to contribute at all until 2022. IMO, the issue for him is NOT performance in camp. The issue is a medical evaluation.
I believe my response was before the 1st preseason game. Prior to that game...McGrone didn't do much. However he had a decent game with 6 solo tackles and 7 in total. Not sure if he will play tonight though.

1660941645504.png

I believe my response was before the 1st preseason game. Prior to that game...McGrone didn't do much. However he had a decent game with 6 solo tackles and 7 in total. Not sure if he will play tonight though.

View attachment 44628
I'm fine with McGrone over Perkins. I would be shocked if neither made the 53, After all, the player could be put on the IR the day after the 53 is named.

OFFENSE
IMO, Durant and Hambright should be considered a placeholder for an OG to be acquired.
I don't think that there is much danger of someone else picking up Harris (the draftee).
So, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 53 without Hambright, Durant and Harris, with no replacements from our present squad.

DEFENSE
yes, Anderson for now until a better veteran is acquired.
I expect us to carry an additional LB (Perkins or McGrone). Realize that the day after the 53 is named, the player can be put on IR.
Obviously, Butler is gone. I expect us to keep Bethel.
For me, Bledsoe is a fine choice for PS.
Not easy to pick Perkins or McGrone base don what we have seen or heard of to date ?

Davis was one of our 3 top STer's last year. If Schooler is ready to be active and replace one our top 3, then he will make the 53. For me, NOT. If Davis is to not make the team, I think that it is more likely that Belichick signs a vet and pay even less than vet minimum.
Davis was also directly responsible for 2 of, if not all 3, blocked punts last year.

Not easy to pick Perkins or McGrone based on what we have seen or heard of to date ?
Agreed.

However, Belichick doesn't often cut a 3rd rounder that was injured in his rookie year. I consider him in similar ways to a 2022 draft pick. IMO, he is a primary reason why we didn't draft a LB this year.

Some say that all draftees are equal once they are drafted. I don't think that this is true, Perkins was considered to have the skills to be an eventual starter opposite Judon. He is worth another season to develop.
=============
McGrone is in another category entirely. Belichick took a 5th round flyer on him. I expect that he is the odd man out. That's OK with me. That means that Uche and Jennings both beat him out for a roster spot.

It is quite possible that McGrone makes the Practice Squad.

Is Montgomery that much of a lock for the 53?

I’m not super impressed with him, never have been. He’s always seems awkwardly out of position. Give me Harris, Stevenson, Pierce and K Harris at RB. Go with youth.

I’m not super impressed with him, never have been. He’s always seems awkwardly out of position. Give me Harris, Stevenson, Pierce and K Harris at RB. Go with youth.
Pierce? You mean Strong? I prefer Ty over K. Harris as he is more a 3rd down back. We should have 2 of them on the 53.

QB (2) M.Jones, B.Hoyer [Zappe to PS]
RB (4) D.Harris, P.Strong, T.Montgomery, R.Stevenson [K Harris to PS and JJ Taylor cut which I disagree with, but there is no room]
WR (6) J.Meyers, D.Parker, T.Thornton, N.Agholor, M.Slater, L.Humphrey [Cant ignore Humphrey. Bourne out]
TE (3) H.Henry, J.Smith, D.Asiasi [Asiasi brings experience especially warming the bench]
G (4) M.Onwenu, Y.Durant, A.Hambright, C.Strange
T (4) Y.Cajuste, J.Herron, A.Stueber, T.Brown [Adios overated and overpaid Wynn]
DE (2) D.Wise, H.Anderson
DT (5) L.Guy, C.Barmore, S.Roberts, C.Davis, D.Godchaux
ILB(4) R.McMillan, C.McGrone, M.Wilson, J.Bentley
OLB(4) M.Judon, A.Jennings, R.Perkins, J.Uche
CB (5) J.Mills, Ja.Jones, T.Mitchell, M.Jones, Jo.Jones
SS (3) J.Bledsoe, A.Phillips, K.Dugger
FS (2) D.McCourty, J.Peppers
ST (3) N.Folk, J.Bailey, J.Cardona

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2021

It seems like Montgomery slides right into Boldens role.

Montgomery has fumbled 4 times in his 7 year career. The last fumble was in 2018. You know how much BB values ball security. Right now Montgomery is the NFL experienced NE RB with the lowest fumble ratio.

Stevenson 2 fumbles in 1 season = 200%
Harris 3 fumbles in 3 seasons - 100%
Montgomery 4 fumbles in 7 seasons = 55%

Bolden 1 fumble in 8 seasons = 12%
White 2 fumbles in 8 seasons = 25%

I have 4 roster spots open.

I see the team adding quality depth at G and T.

I think Bourne and Wynn are getting moved. Maybe Bethel as well because hes good.

They keep Zappe as they'd lose him.

QB (2) M.Jones, B. Hoyer, B.Zappe
RB (4) D.Harris, T.Montgomery, P.Strong, R.Stevenson
WR (6) J.Meyers, D.Parker, N.Agholor, T.Thornton, M.Slater, L.Humphrey
TE (2) H.Henry, J.Smith
G (3) M.Onwenu, A.Hambright, C.Strange
T (3) Y.Cajuste, J.Herron, T.Brown
DE (2) D.Wise, H.Anderson
DT (3) L.Guy, C.Barmore, D.Godchaux
ILB(3) M.Wilson, R.McMillan, J.Bentley
OLB(4) M.Judon, A.Jennings, J.Uche, R.Perkins