PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots All-Time Best by Position

Yep; Derek Cullors was ****ing awful that day; Mario Grier was better but didn't get the ball as much for some reason... Meggett & even Byers should've been featured more in the running game.

End of 3 quarters, 14-10 Pats but ****tsdirt's just outside Pats 30 on 1st down thanks to a Bledsoe INT, a harbinger of things to come...

Stopped the game as ****tsdirt's about to convert 4th/7 with a minute-1/2 left and no time-outs... Yeah the defense collapses for the rest of the game, but this loss is So Not Their Fault: the running game was ****ing Incompetent; and Bledsoe was Bledsoe, which is Not a complement... Didn't help him that his QBC & OC were third-rate journeymen either, chosen after the good ones were already taken.

p.s.: Home Game Slade was Invisible Man that afternoon... NFW he should be on ANY best-of-Pats list.

Tippett - Nelson - Buoniconti - Hightower

Last edited:
You're incorrect. Faulk bobbled the ball and then fell back across the line after he had control... It was a horrible call on the field.
I would suggest watching the game again. He bobbled the ball when hit and pushed backwards regaining control inside the marker.

Corey Dillon! Obviously he was a great runner, but he was also the best in-the-pocket-protecting-the-qb blocker that I have ever seen. He did not just block pass rushers, he devastated them. Anyone who got past the line, would get blasted by him. Revenge I assume.

licensed-image

Corey Dillon! Obviously he was a great runner, but he was also the best in-the-pocket-protecting-the-qb blocker that I have ever seen. He did not just block pass rushers, he devastated them. Anyone who got past the line, would get blasted by him. Revenge I assume.

licensed-image
Since the Pats had a putrid run game after Edwards got injured, Dillon was one of my favorite backs. It was amazing when Antowain Smith went over 1,000 yards in 2001.

A player had to be with them for 5 years or more, so I'm not going to count Randy Moss or Curtis Martin.

EDITED FOR POPULAR DEMAND 5/22

QB Tom Brady
RB Sam Cunningham
UB Kevin Faulk or James White
TE Rob Gronkowski
TE Ben Coates or Russ Francis
WR Stanley Morgan
WR Julian Edelman
WR Wes Welker
T Bruce Armstrong
T Leon Gray
G John Hannah
G Joe Thuney
C Jon Morris

DE Julius Adams
DT Richard Seymour
DT Vince Wilfork
DE Willie McGinest
LB Steve Nelson
LB Andre Tippett
LB Donte Hightower
LB Mike Vrabel or Tedy Bruschi
S Devin McCourty
S Rodney Harrison
CB Mike Haynes
CB Ty Law
CB Ray Clayborn

KR Troy Brown
ST Matthew Slater
K Adam Vinatieri
P Ryan Allen

Failing to retain Russ Francis, Mike Haynes and Joe Thuney stand out as WARTS when it comes to talent retention.
I'd take Curtis Martin & Corey Dillon over Sam Bam Cunningham.

I'd take Sam Gash over Tatupu

They certainly could've used him, and Troy Brown, in the SB vs GB... Maybe one of them tackles Desmond Howard instead of Hassan Graham, who was Definitely NOT a member of the 'rasslin Graham Family...

Last edited:
The entire late 90's defense were front runners. They got beatdowns by the leagues best teams in the Packers and Broncos going 0-5 (including postseason) from 1996 to 1998. Lost a big home game in 1997 to the Steelers. They also had a hard time against the Flutie Bills, Parcells Jets, Jaguars, Dolphins, Colts in 1999, etc.
When you have a quarterback who is making the best decisions and doing the most to keep drives alive and control the game, it gives tremendous support and inspiration to the defense. as opposed to the opposite, when they're having to go out there to try and win games by themselves.
Yep, the Broncos just owned the Pats.*
*With Eason and Bledsoe starting.

During Elway's unbeaten stretch against us, he never started against Grogan or Flutie.

1985 baby - Holloway-Hannah-Brock-Wooten-Moore
Surprisingly, not undersized by all that much:

Brian Holloway - 6-7 / 294
John Hannah - 6-2 / 265
Pete Brock - 6-5 / 267
Ron Wooten - 6-4 / 274
Steve Moore - 6-4 / 293

The AFCCG>Super Bowl meltdown by Raymond Berry right after the players put him down from carrying him off the Orange Bowl field is one of the all time collapses in sports history.

Just to name a few, he

- Failed to name Grogan the Super Bowl starter the next morning

- Allowed an insanely ridiculous video to be made with and by local Boston media with several players participating, obviously in response to/intended competition with the idiotic Super Bowl Shuffle which is arguably the most embarrassing incident in the history of the franchise

- Devised a primary pass-first offensive strategy against the 4-6, apparently believing Eason was Dan Marino and the game was being played in the Orange Bowl on a Monday night (and we'd be wearing Dolphins uniforms?)

- Ignored most of what made the Patriots successful: Grogan; running the ball, controlling the line of scrimmage and the pace of the game; giving the defense the opportunity to do what they did well: containing the opposition's big playmakers and making big plays themselves, including turnovers: By having Eason in there, the pressure (above & beyond all that is intrinsically already there in any Super Bowl) to make a million turnovers

- Psychologically doing nothing to motivate/inspire/prepare the team for the biggest game of the season, the most challenging game and opponent of the season, the highest pressure environment on the world's biggest stage, playing a team that is better than us and rightfully heavily favored

In this way, Raymond

- Abandoned all the advantages the team enjoyed in their previous three playoff games to get there

- Had complete amnesia regarding his Colts team's attitude and preparation for multiple championship games in which he was a major contributor

Further, Berry and his staff had apparently no knowledge of what made the Bears superior that entire season, and were clueless to devise a game plan with any chance of success.

- Finally, since he didn't come here until 1978 he had no experience of 1976 which he could and should have utilized as motivation and bulletin board material. There were many critical veterans and leaders from that season who needed the opportunity set things right and instill in the team the knowledge that THAT was the determining, primary factor in the event - not some stupid bunch of idiots with a video, a past his prime great running back who even in his prime didn't win games all by himself, a very good pass rush and an inferior quarterback with a loser attitude.

Anyone interested in an all time draft head over draft forum.

A player had to be with them for 5 years or more, so I'm not going to count Randy Moss or Curtis Martin.

QB Tom Brady
RB Sam Cunningham
TE Rob Gronkowski
WR Stanley Morgan
WR Julian Edelman
WR Wes Welker
T Bruce Armstrong
T Leon Gray
G John Hannah
G Joe Thuney
C Jon Morris

DE Julius Adams
DT Richard Seymour
DT Vince Wilfork
DE Willie McGinest
LB Steve Nelson
LB Andre Tippett
LB Donte Hightower
S Devin McCourty
S Rodney Harrison
CB Mike Haynes
CB Ty Law
CB Ray Clayborn

KR Troy Brown
ST Matthew Slater
K Adam Vinatieri
P Ryan Allen

Failing to retain Russ Francis, Mike Haynes and Joe Thuney stand out as WARTS when it comes to talent retention.

Much as I like Thuney there is no way he was a better player than Logan Mankins, who is a borderline HOF player.

QB Tom Brady
RB Sam Cunningham
TE Rob Gronkowski
WR Stanley Morgan
WR Julian Edelman
WR Wes Welker
T Bruce Armstrong
T Leon Gray
G John Hannah
G Joe Thuney
C Jon Morris

DE Julius Adams
DT Richard Seymour
DT Vince Wilfork
DE Willie McGinest
LB Steve Nelson
LB Andre Tippett
LB Donte Hightower
S Devin McCourty
S Rodney Harrison
CB Mike Haynes
CB Ty Law
CB Ray Clayborn

KR Troy Brown
ST Matthew Slater
K Adam Vinatieri
P Ryan Allen

Overall a pretty good job, but Gronk is a first ballot HOF player, he is easily the best TE in their history.

Mankins is one of the biggest reasons 2 of our better teams went 0-2 in SBs vs Eli. I'm sure he's an amazing guy, but as a player, he is probably my least favorite former Pat. Don't care how good he was against bottom feeders in the regular season.

My feelings on this could very well be irrational, but, they're there anyway.

You are right, they are irrational. Mankins played the Giants on a torn ACL, which no one here would even walk on. He dominated his entire career in NE, and he belongs in Canton.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back