PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bears crumbling, paving way for Jimmy G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fine. Some will love it, and some will hate it, but it will point out the brutal offenders. Come on, @Ian....

star-trek-make-it-so.jpg

Nope. If I don't understand someone's post I simply ask them to clarify. It's not that difficult to do. Grammar Nazi's can suck my big bodacious ****. If you truly want to discuss something then do so but if you want to be an elitist grammar queen then GFY.

Some people do not have the same opportunity to learn "grammar" rules as everyone else but still may have a good thought.

Edit: I'll strike through what I should have not written. But leave it to own it. If that makes sense.

Last edited:
That's a pretty dim view of the possibility of JG going to Chicago.

First lets look at Cousins. There is no way that Washington is going to let him go after the kind of season they are having. They will either franchise him again, or pay him what he wants, much like Flacco had the Ravens over a barrel in his FA year. Mark my words, Cousins will never see true FA. Besides I'm not sure he's THAT great a QB, and is more valuable to Washington than to another team.

Tony Romo is another reasonable option, but again, what is going to be the price to trade for him, and is he the answer for a young team that is building a roster. Romo will be interesting to a team that feels they are just a decent QB away from being a contender, not to a team like Chicago.

As JG, he's perfect for them. He's got 3 full NFL years in the most complex passing offense in the league, and has shone on the field he can direct it effectively against good defenses. He's from the area and would be a real plus for their marketing department. Finally this QB class is reportedly not that good. Whatever QB they can get at #3 is likely to be long on potential and not ready to play in the NFL, or at least lead a team to the playoffs and superbowl contention.

Now maybe the #3 pick is too high to give up for a QB with only 2 games of actual playing time, not matter how good that time was. There are a lot of ways to get around that. They can give the Pats their 2nd rounder this year, with a first rounder in 2018 conditional on the Bears extending JG after the 2017 season. So if JG is a bust, the Bears losed the 35th pick in the 2017 draft and maybe a 5th in the 2018. If he's as good as advertized, the Pats will get the 35th pick in the 2017 draft and a first round pick that is likely to be in the middle teens in 2018

That would be fair value to both teams. Drafting QB's regardless of how high they are picked is still a monster crap shoot. Using that pick to mitigate that risk by a LOT is actually smart. JG in the 4th year of his rookie contract is probably a lot cheaper than picking a QB #3 and paying him. Top picks even under rookie contracts "get paid"

BTW- another way to lower the cost would be for the Bears to trade down from the #3 spot to somewhere in the top 1o and THEN trade the pick. That way they get their QB AND add picks in the future and/or lower rounds.

Whatever team may be interested will have to make the determination as to whether or not it makes sense to draft a guy and pay him 5-6m a year for up to five years, or to take Garoppolo in his final year, where he could command up to 18-20m like Osweiler did.

I think you make some fine points, but I just don't see anyone parting with a top 10 pick for Jimmy Garoppolo. I think that's highly unlikely although I respect your stance. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

JimmyG+White+Dola
<->
1st (top 3) + Akiem Hicks back + 3rd 2018 + conditional 3rd 2019 (original pick if Grop extended / comp pick if let go)

#SuckForGrop
#GarrettToGillette
WTF do you think this is? The NBA? ;)

Whatever team may be interested will have to make the determination as to whether or not it makes sense to draft a guy and pay him 5-6m a year for up to five years, or to take Garoppolo in his final year, where he could command up to 18-20m like Osweiler did.

I think you make some fine points, but I just don't see anyone parting with a top 10 pick for Jimmy Garoppolo. I think that's highly unlikely although I respect your stance. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
But the thing is, if your QB is good enough, it is worth paying him 18-20MM/yr. The thing is that whoever ever trades for Garapolo will have a full year to test the waters to see if he is worth the investment and confirm his level of play. THAT's why JG's value is so much higher after this season, than it would be after the 17 season.

Anyway I see Chicago as a good potential landing spot for JG because they will need a QB, JG is from the area and will be a great marketing tool for the franchise, and picking a rookie is just so risky and this class isn't highly thought of compared to other years.

The fit just seems too good.

Or we could keep him in case Toms magic stay young age elixir starts to wear off.

I Disagree. You can't wish for unity if you are willing to segregate someone because of a lack of grammar.

I absolutely do not wish anyone segregated. That was some snark because it is always funny to see that phrase thrown around, and people being angry about spelling; I didn't mean to come off as an actual snob! I do think it not too much to ask that someone spend a brief moment reviewing what they just typed to ensure that it makes sense before hitting Post. Reading someone's thoughts with respect is to be expected, and so then it stands to reason that one should show a little measure of respect to the reader by making sure one's thoughts are organized.

Mine is a stance with regards to posts that make no sense or are not clear due to the sloppiness of the writing. I'm not hung up on there/their/they're, because I know what's being conveyed. I seek not grammar so much as clarity.

I'd give up Jimmy G for a 1st without hesitation! If we can draft a true 1st round linebacker or even corner back I will feel a lot better about this team going forward on the defensive end.
We truly need playmakers, people that can get turnovers.

After Hightower we have a huge deficit in talent on that position and Hightower had a fair amount of injuries the last few years.
Look at what Mack has done with the raiders defense, we need another leader on our defense too that can get these guys riled up.

Last edited:
As others and I have said for months now there's just no QB worthy of lottery pick. I dont think I'll have a 1st round grade on any, not that means anything but it's a shared pov.

This only drives up the price but I highly doubt we get a lottery pick. I'm thinking somewhere in the 12-18 range is the best we'll get along with a 3rd-4th.

If a team like Chicago or San Fran wants Jimmy but wont give up a top 5 pick. They can trade down to a point where the Pats are comfortable. There's a ton of great players in the draft (defense heavy) and 2 first could improve our team immensely.

Nope. If I don't understand someone's post I simply ask them to clarify. It's not that difficult to do. Grammar Nazi's can suck my big bodacious ****. If you truly want to discuss something then do so but if you want to be an elitist grammar queen then GFY.

Some people do not have the same opportunity to learn "grammar" rules as everyone else but still may have a good thought.

Everyone who's able to get online has the opportunity to learn grammar rules and, if they have those good thoughts you mention, they should learn how to write them.

Everyone who's able to get online has the opportunity to learn grammar rules and, if they have those good thoughts you mention, they should learn how to write them.

Deus, I've been working on my grammar for well over twenty years and it still sucks. My brother's grammar is excellent. He has a knack for it. I do enjoy reading a well written piece and admire those who have the ability to create them. I personally won't criticize someone for their grammar because that would end up being a kettle pot situation and I'm more interested in the meaning of the post anyways. I will occasionally ask what a poster meant to write if I don't understand the first time around.

Deus, I've been working on my grammar for well over twenty years and it still sucks. My brother's grammar is excellent. He has a knack for it. I do enjoy reading a well written piece and admire those who have the ability to create them. I personally won't criticize someone for their grammar because that would end up being a kettle pot situation and I'm more interested in the meaning of the post anyways. I will occasionally ask what a poster meant to write if I don't understand the first time around.

Wow, i hope good grammar is not a prerequisite to posting in this forum. My french "grammaire" is more than good actually, but very few of you would realize how close to perfect it is.

Wow, i hope good grammar is not a prerequisite to posting in this forum. My french "grammaire" is more than good actually, but very few of you would realize how close to perfect it is.

My German grammar is horrible. Germans say I conjugate my sentences like an American. But it's not really a problem as long as I can successfully order my curry wurst and a beer. :D

My German grammar is horrible. Germans say I conjugate my sentences like an American. But it's not really a problem as long as I can successfully order my curry wurst and a beer. :D

German "grammatik" is a mess, it's insanely tricky, borderline sadomasochist. Any non-native german speaker not named Bill Belichick nor Stephen Hawking would struggle heavily to order a single Wurst or a beer in Münchner Oktoberfest with :
1- Zero grammar mistake
2- The appropriate "Bayrisch Akzent" ("mit dem BayrischEN Akzent", sorry)

Mein Gott...

Last edited:

I commend you on continuing your efforts to better yourself in an area that's become sadly neglected throughout the country.

Keep the G

If Jimmy is still a Patriot after the trade deadline next season then either Brady's retiring in '18 or getting traded in '18, unlikely but Jimmy signs extension/ new contract with us

He's gonna be traded this offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore