PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bears crumbling, paving way for Jimmy G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
@BradBiggs
When it rains it pours. #Bears QB Jay Cutler suffered shoulder injury and team is exploring if it is season-ending.

@Rapsheet
As if the #Bears needed more bad news: LB Jerrell Freeman suspended for the team’s next four games for violating the NFL policy PED policy.

Looks like a road to 2-14 and a top 3 pick for the Bears at this point. Ryan Pace will be entering his 3rd year on the hot seat. He will have to make a choice between the worst QB class since 2013 or Jimmy G.

Take 2: What are Bears GM Ryan Pace's QB options this offseason?

Fishbain: "The Bears have to choose – trade picks to get a Jimmy Garoppolo, or trade up to get the best (or second-best) quarterback in the draft."

"Finley: Fox can’t afford to wait on a young quarterback. Go 6-10 or worse for the third-straight season next year, and the coach is in trouble. That’s the appeal of Garoppolo, or signing a stopgap: maybe the Bears can compete while developing a quarterback. That doesn’t seem likely, though – these days in the NFL, quarterbacks are drafted to play right away, damn the results."

It'll be a fun off season story to follow. Whether BB could get a top 3 pick from the Bears in a loaded draft class and also whether he decides to trade Garoppolo at all.

Jimmy G with Jordan Howard at the RB position and Kevin White at WR immediately improves that offense. If they offer their 1st, I'd take it.

Not if you want this team to go thru the dark ages post brady
If the team feels that Brady can play at an acceptable level for the next 3-4 years then Jimmy G will leave when his contract is up. He isn't gonna re-sign here to be a backup. Only way Jimmy G stays after next season is if the team feels Brady is done.

So if the plan is to keep Brady then we try to get as much as we can for Jimmy G. No need to keep him here and let him walk for nothing.

There will be options, as there are every year. Free agents such as Kirk Cousins. Potential trades such as Tony Romo. Top incoming Hesiman-worthy QBs from the draft, and current backups with limited experience such as Garoppolo.

I couldn't imagine any scenario that didn't include another one of our star players where CHI is going to part with a top 3 pick for a backup QB going into his last contract year and looking for a big payday. C'mon, now.

They have a lot of similarities to Dallas from last year. They have good skill position players and a good to great offensive line. They have a rebuilt defense that is very young and unpolished in a new system.

If they had even decent qb play this year, they should have been able to challenge for 8-8 record. Put jimmy G on that roster with Jeffrey re-signed, and they will challenge for a playoff spot.

Jimmy G with Jordan Howard at the RB position and Kevin White at WR immediately improves that offense. If they offer their 1st, I'd take it.

I'm still not convinced White is any good, or at least that he can be relied on to play more than 4 games a year. If Jeffery leaves in FA, Cameron Meredith will likely end up being their most proven receiver, but FWIW I like Meredith's potential. I think this helps the Pats in either case, since it'll be really hard for anyone in Chicago to think that they have the offensive talent to prop up a McCown-type QB well enough for them to keep their jobs. They've downgraded at every skill position in the last two years, and pretty dramatically for good measure (Marshall gone, Forte gone, Bennett gone, Jeffery about to be gone, Adam Gase gone). If they want the offense to be even functional next year, they're going to have to make a serious upgrade at QB, at hope he and Howard can will them to a passably good offense. If their goal is to keep their jobs, Garoppolo is a much better bet than any of the QBs they'll have a shot at drafting. And with so many big salaries coming off the books, franchising Garoppolo in 2018 should be an easy pill to swallow.

Either the Bears or the 49ers. Both need a talented QB for the future and Jimmy G is most likely going to be better than all of the QBs in this draft. Either one can trade their first round picks and maybe add in some third-round picks while we take their pick and grab Jonathan Allen.

Kirk Cousins, Tony Romo and Jimmy G make this an embarrassment of riches for QB hungry teams. I would worry it knocks the value down for all of them but QBs are too valuable.

The draft has no QB worth getting imo and a lot of teams feel that way.

Can we get Alshon Jeffrey and a high draft pick?

Kirk Cousins, Tony Romo and Jimmy G make this an embarrassment of riches for QB hungry teams. I would worry it knocks the value down for all of them but QBs are too valuable.
Washington won't let Cousins leave. Romo has to go to a good team at his age. The likes of Chicago, Cleveland, SF, etc, will provide plenty of trade competition.

The Bears looked somewhat functional with Brian Hoyer at QB, that's how bad Cutler is. JAG would be a nice addition and that would be a reasonable landing spot for him to build a career.

Last edited:

The draft has no QB worth getting imo and a lot of teams feel that way.

Unless he lays an egg between now and the end of the season, Cousins will get his deal with the Redskins.

Romo's now more brittle than Mr. Glass, and he's 36 years old, so the Bears would be crazy to make him their centerpiece.

JAG is a good option, if they're willing to gamble on 6 quarters of football.

Another QB who could make things at least a bit more interesting, depending upon what his comeback is looking like, is Bridgewater.

Outside of that, it's probably either gamble by calling up the Chiefs and seeing if you can spring Foles or Smith loose, or draft one of this year's puppies and pray you get lucky.

The Bears will be changing coaches i can't see Fox surviving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back