PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bears crumbling, paving way for Jimmy G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JimmyG+White+Dola
<->
1st (top 3) + Akiem Hicks back + 3rd 2018 + conditional 3rd 2019 (original pick if Grop extended / comp pick if let go)

#SuckForGrop
#GarrettToGillette

We need to get Ian to add some sort of "OMG, you've just butchered the English language/vocab!" button, to go along with the like/dislike/useful group.

Don't forget the rampant mispelings.

Well, you're not resigning JG to be a back up. It's either trade Brady or Jimmy. Who do you want?

If Jimmy is still a Patriot after the trade deadline next season then either Brady's retiring in '18 or getting traded in '18, unlikely but Jimmy signs extension/ new contract with us

Jimmy G with Jordan Howard at the RB position and Kevin White at WR immediately improves that offense. If they offer their 1st, I'd take it.

Kevin white has to stay on the field

There will be options, as there are every year. Free agents such as Kirk Cousins. Potential trades such as Tony Romo. Top incoming Hesiman-worthy QBs from the draft, and current backups with limited Cexperience such as Garoppolo.

I couldn't imagine any scenario that didn't include another one of our star players where CHI is going to part with a top 3 pick for a backup QB going into his last contract year and looking for a big payday. C'mon, now.
That's a pretty dim view of the possibility of JG going to Chicago.

First lets look at Cousins. There is no way that Washington is going to let him go after the kind of season they are having. They will either franchise him again, or pay him what he wants, much like Flacco had the Ravens over a barrel in his FA year. Mark my words, Cousins will never see true FA. Besides I'm not sure he's THAT great a QB, and is more valuable to Washington than to another team.

Tony Romo is another reasonable option, but again, what is going to be the price to trade for him, and is he the answer for a young team that is building a roster. Romo will be interesting to a team that feels they are just a decent QB away from being a contender, not to a team like Chicago.

As JG, he's perfect for them. He's got 3 full NFL years in the most complex passing offense in the league, and has shone on the field he can direct it effectively against good defenses. He's from the area and would be a real plus for their marketing department. Finally this QB class is reportedly not that good. Whatever QB they can get at #3 is likely to be long on potential and not ready to play in the NFL, or at least lead a team to the playoffs and superbowl contention.

Now maybe the #3 pick is too high to give up for a QB with only 2 games of actual playing time, not matter how good that time was. There are a lot of ways to get around that. They can give the Pats their 2nd rounder this year, with a first rounder in 2018 conditional on the Bears extending JG after the 2017 season. So if JG is a bust, the Bears losed the 35th pick in the 2017 draft and maybe a 5th in the 2018. If he's as good as advertized, the Pats will get the 35th pick in the 2017 draft and a first round pick that is likely to be in the middle teens in 2018

That would be fair value to both teams. Drafting QB's regardless of how high they are picked is still a monster crap shoot. Using that pick to mitigate that risk by a LOT is actually smart. JG in the 4th year of his rookie contract is probably a lot cheaper than picking a QB #3 and paying him. Top picks even under rookie contracts "get paid"

BTW- another way to lower the cost would be for the Bears to trade down from the #3 spot to somewhere in the top 1o and THEN trade the pick. That way they get their QB AND add picks in the future and/or lower rounds.

Last edited:
I don't think he's the long-term answer, either. Even when he wasn't injured, he wasn't playing at 2014 Garoppolo's level.

You're comparing a raw rookie who had only 3rd string practice opportunities to a guy with YEARS in the system and as the #2 PLUS he had EXTRA reps this summer because they know he'd start 4 games.

Don't agree re: 2014 level, nothing magical

I strongly doubt bb sells high on jimmy g this offseason. There is not a team in the nfl outside of us that runs an offense where jimmy is proven he can excel in,

I think osWeiler has killed the speculation market for young system qb's.

We need to get Ian to add some sort of "OMG, you've just butchered the English language/vocab!" button, to go along with the like/dislike/useful group.

I'm thinking a grammar nazi icon button.

clipart-grammar-nazi-symbol-ec54.png

I'm thinking a grammar nazi icon button.

clipart-grammar-nazi-symbol-ec54.png

You're right, it's definitely too much to ask that one be able to effectively communicate their ideas, via written word, on a forum that exists solely for that purpose. It is definitely on the reader to figure out what it is that the person who is bad at communication is trying to convey.

You're comparing a raw rookie who had only 3rd string practice opportunities to a guy with YEARS in the system and as the #2 PLUS he had EXTRA reps this summer because they know he'd start 4 games.

Don't agree re: 2014 level, nothing magical

First off, I'm not comparing him to 2016 Garoppolo.

Second, Garoppolo had five passing TDs in preseason as a rookie. No other rookie QB under Belichick—including Brissett and Brady—had more than one.

You're right, it's definitely too much to ask that one be able to effectively communicate their ideas, via written word, on a forum that exists solely for that purpose. It is definitely on the reader to figure out what it is that the person who is bad at communication is trying to convey.

Funny you mention clear communication here, because I made that mistake in my message myself. I agree with your sentiment. But over the years, I've heard the grammar nazi term so much that I've "embraced the hate" if you will, and have adopted it as a term of endearment. And I do think it's kind of a funny term. But of course, no one would know that since I didn't communicate it.

So anyhow, that icon is just my continuing to embrace the hate and having fun with the term, while still getting the point across to the offending poster.

Well, you're not resigning JG to be a back up. It's either trade Brady or Jimmy. Who do you want?
Brady....he has been great this year.
If he plays at a similar level next year, I don't see how Jimmy G beats him out as a stater.
I do like Jimmy G, but IF the Pats could get a top 3 pick, I don't see how Jimmy G doesn't get traded.
I doubt the Bears would part with a top 3 pick for Jimmy G (it would be a good place for him).

I strongly doubt bb sells high on jimmy g this offseason. There is not a team in the nfl outside of us that runs an offense where jimmy is proven he can excel in,

I think osWeiler has killed the speculation market for young system qb's.
Nah. The other choice is to spend more (in draft picks) on a rookie. Talk about speculation.

no one is giving up a top 5 Draft pick for 6 QT's of football but maybe 49ers browns or bears take a play maker high and offer there top 2th round pick to the pats, but like I said no one wants to give up money and picks to find out of they have the next brock osweiler or aaron Rodgers. at lest with a rookie you don't have to pay 20 plus million per year

I Disagree. You can't wish for unity if you are willing to segregate someone because of a lack of grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes