PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Texans beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that this is an issue as well. I also think Bill sometimes disgards injury history so he can get a player that he thinks is a steal if everything goes well

I'm with you on this. It's why he's the best ever at finding these undrafted Pro Bowlers or 6/7th round picks. But he needs to change his strategy in the first round. The guys he thinks are in the bottom of his tier1 are way worse than the top guys in tier1. So he waits and takes a bust 2nd rd DB or WR.

Right now even if we won out, we would be outside the top 10. There is a 0% chance we get ahead of the Jets/Jaguars or Bengals. 2 of those teams are definitley darfting QB's. The Giants will also struggle to win games the rest of the way and our two games behind us. They will draft a QB if someone is there. This is assuming we completely lose out or only win the Jets game.

Right now I have 4 QB's that should go in the first. We probably have no shot at 3 of them even if we lose out. Anybody else is a reach. And at this point you aren't getting your choice or have flexibilityHe doesn't need to be Peyton Manning. If he's Luck, you get Belichick to build a good team around him and we compete for years to come. Yes if when we were 2-5 we lost to the Jets and Ravens we'd be on our way to a horserace for him. And if we didn't get him then you get Lance or Fields as consolation prizes. We will get none of the three

I like trask from florida. Don’t know if he will be there though when we pick. His stock is going up.

Herbert might throw for 400 vs Duggar, everyone's all pro Jackson, and the should've opted out McCourty twins

1st Mangold
1st Faneca
1st Ferguson
1st Woody
1st Braylon Edwards
1st Thomas Jones
1st Calvin Pace
1st Lito Shepard
1st Shaun Ellis
1st Bryan Thomas
1st Mangold - Elite
1st Faneca - Elite
1st Ferguson - Good
1st Woody - Good
1st Braylon Edwards - Good enough, but not putting any fear in DB's.
1st Thomas Jones - Good for one year, then started to decline.
1st Calvin Pace - Sucked
1st Lito Shepard - Sucked
1st Shaun Ellis - Had his moments during the Ryan years, but was better during the Groh/Edwards years.
1st Bryan Thomas - Sucked
1st LaDanian Thomlinson - You forgot about him and he was on the back nine.

Their team as whole was nothing special. Pats were better.

Last edited:
Cam is not the long term answer. The best thing to do now is to tank and pick our qb in the draft, its not going to be Lawrence unfortunately but maybe someone else
For the 10,000,000,0000 billionth time, teams don’t tank. That’s a fan made phenomenon.

When the strengths of your team (OL & secondary) play like that it is what it is.

The offense has been serviceable since the Bills game. WR play has improved with Meyers & Byrd. Harris has been dynamic at RB as well. After about 20 games of a dysfunctional offense it’s good to see that side of the ball have some pieces.

Hopefully they land a draft pick in the 8-12 range. That gives them flexibility to draft a QB or a high end prospect at another position.

For the 10,000,000,0000 billionth time, teams don’t tank. That’s a fan made phenomenon.
I agree somewhat. Players don't tank, as they are playing for their jobs. However, teams can tank by trading away their talent and playing inferior players.

I’m no longer convinced the Patriots would have been a lock for the playoffs this year if they kept Brady. Probably wouldn’t be 4-6 but I doubt they’d be much better.

Also
2019 Texans 28 Patriots (with Brady) 22
2020 Texans 27 Patriots 20.

Heh.
They have more potential offensively this year than last year. Just with the fact that they have an OL and a running game this year which Brady hadn’t last year.

Brady would not be 0 for 4 with the ball at the opponent 30 at the end of games. That basically put you at least between 8-2 to 6-4 because I think would he would have converted at least 50%

I agree somewhat. Players don't tank, as they are playing for their jobs. However, teams can tank by trading away their talent and playing inferior players.
IMHO that's not tanking. That's saying we aren't going anywhere with what we've got, we gotta clean house with overpriced aging talent and see what the kids can do.

I think we were out coached ... Offensive play calling was at its lowest level..

The defense is getting shredded week after week. This might be the worst defense we have fielded in years..

Another 3 years of rebuilding and hoping we have a home run in 2 out of 3 drafts.. this team needs stars now because we don't have Brady to make stars out of mortals.. so we need a stud wr or defensive pass rusher to bring life to this team. Stop this nonsense if drafting defensive backs first.

My guess is we might miss the quarterbacks but should be able to get the best defensive rushed on board.

McCourt twins can retire after this year. No point paying them next year. I would be open to another year of sub par play if it means we can compete in 2022.

And let's play stidham.. he will allow us to either unearth a diamond in the rough or help us get into favorable draft position.

Can will pull us to 7-9 or 8-8 and out of top 10 .

For the people upset about the Patriots winning games, do you realize how stupid you sound? Patriots probably have below-average talent right now, but are no way a bottom-5 team. Do you honestly think a group of NFL players, who play in a league where the average career is 3 years, who are making a few hundred-thousand dollars this year, who are all potentially playing for a life-altering second NFL contract, are going to intentionally lose games so their employer has a higher chance at replacing them with a more talented individual? Do you realize how dumb that sounds?

To get the number 1 pick, you have to be incredibly bad, and the Patriots, for better or worse, aren’t near that.

Last edited:
Also, minor point, but I don’t fully understand Belichick’s use of timeouts at the end of the game and waiting until 3rd down to call it. What if a turnover were to happen on 3rd down? Then you still have a 1:10 and a time out left vs 30 secs and 2 timeouts.

IMHO that's not tanking. That's saying we aren't going anywhere with what we've got, we gotta clean house with overpriced aging talent and see what the kids can do.
Trading away the only talent you have will increase the odds of losing.

Repeat after me: “Cam can’t throw the ball anymore”.

We got faster on D. I don't think Hightower could do what Uche and Winovich are doing today...along with Duggar and Phillips out there.

Any DC that isn't sending db's against Cam is a moron. He's inept at reading it presnap, and way too slow to figure it out post snap.
He is too busy on his knee and and not scanning the D immediately. I really hate that habit he has.

I don't strongly disagree. But I'm not as convinced as you are that Trevor is the next Peyton Manning. When Trevor sat with covid it looks like the backup Clemson QB was awesome too. And this whole thing is moot because we're not talking about the #1 pick for the Pats. We're talking about the Pats hypothetically picking #8 as you prefer compared to say #13. I think it's a wash.

Pretty sure the backup QB was the number one HS prospect in the country. He is a stud

The loss is especially frustrating to me for the following reasons :
(1) they had a chance to get to .500
(2) coming off their best win of the season
(3) seems like a few 6-3 AFC teams are going to lose
(4) the up n down nature of the O, looking great at times and horrendous the next

He is too busy on his knee and and not scanning the D immediately. I really hate that habit he has.

Cam is more of a reactor than thinker. Let Cam go no Huddle with a faster pace and let him choose the plays and adjustments. You'll see better production. It worked at auburn and Carolina, when we did it.

I have no idea why you would throw the ball so much against a putrid run defense, todays gameplan was hilariously bad.

They focused on the run. It looks like it was a good game plan. Stop the Pat's run, force the pass and bring as much pressure as possible.

Their offensive line blocking worked too. Watson created way too much time with his mobility. I wish they had kept on blitzing or found a way to bring more pressure.

Our secondary, or any secondary, is incapable of covering for five seconds.

I agree that this is an issue as well. I also think Bill sometimes disgards injury history so he can get a player that he thinks is a steal if everything goes well

I'm with you on this. It's why he's the best ever at finding these undrafted Pro Bowlers or 6/7th round picks. But he needs to change his strategy in the first round. The guys he thinks are in the bottom of his tier1 are way worse than the top guys in tier1.
Pretty sure the backup QB was the number one HS prospect in the country. He is a stud

Right.
So here is some history. Brady played when Michigan was a powerhouse and Brian Griese was the champion QB before him.
Trevor is more like a Peyton in terms of hype. But the closest guys like a talent but underappreciated Brady, would be QBs who came after high profile guys like at Alamaba (Mac Jones after Tua) or this next Clemson kid after Trevor. I'm not convinced Trevor is a sure thing. It's a moot point because we aren't picking #1. But I think there's other guys out there who fit the profile of who could develop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back