PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Texans beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is more that you have to assume that Bill will grade all 6 of them as first rounders. Doubtful and Bill doesn't like to overdraft. Let's say we pick 8th. That guarantees Lawrence, Field, and Lance are gone. Highly possible the other is. Now all of a sudden you have to worry about drafting Jones or Wilson higher than you want or give every single QB needy team a chance to get them before you have a shot again.

The league has changes over the last 20 years. We just watched the Cardinals draft Rosen and the Murray. People aren't screwing around when it comes to QB anymore. They are shooting their shot until it pays off. You know who isn't? Elway in Denver. He's also in the hot seat.
Exactly, that's why if Bill sees a guy he likes, and grades in the first to second, he needs to just say f'it and grab him.

5 QB's does seem high, but it all depends on where each team has that player on their board. Here's my dumbass opinion on which teams could use a QB.
-Jets
-Jags
-Cowboys *I agree that this isn't likely, but we don't know how negotiations are going with Dak, and I could see JJ falling in love with a guy like Zach or Lance and pulling the trigger.
-Washington
-Giants (WC)
-Falcons (WC)
-Panthers (WC)
-Lions (WC)
-S.F. (WC)
-Minn (WC)
-Chicago
-Indi
-N.O.

All of those teams just need to fall in love with the right guy, and the Pats are at risk of competing with them for their guy. Again, assuming they have one graded that high. If they have a guy that they grade in the 1st to high 2nd, I say you take him and not worry about value. All of those teams know the Pats need a QB, and they are a threat to move back up into late 1st early 2nd to get their players. I say get your guy and move on.

I hear you. But over half these teams, I would assume they're playing musical chairs too with the older QBs (Matt Ryan, Stafford, etc). I don't recall this being a bonanza QB draft. So 5 QBs in the first round would be surprising. I'm just not convinced a #8 pick for us is going to save the franchise while a #13 won't help us at all.

Pats best units are the DBs and OL, yet I don't think any passes were broken up and there was constantly an unblocked rusher chasing down Cam.
Any DC that isn't sending db's against Cam is a moron. He's inept at reading it presnap, and way too slow to figure it out post snap.

Any DC that isn't sending db's against Cam is a moron. He's inept at reading it presnap, and way too slow to figure it out post snap.
Good point, I specifically noticed that there were many issues today with that.

Aside from Lawrence why are you so insistent one of the QBs ranked #2-4 are the savior answer, with a pick between #6-10 ?? I'd rather the Pats not lose on purpose, go 7-9'ish, and let's put this roster through the grinder and find out which dudes we should keep after this year, who really has the potential and will to be a foundational future piece.
Sure. Lawrence can't be treated like a Goff or Mayfield level 1st overall. He's a trancedent once every 10 years QB. He's a Manning/Luck/Elway style prospect. That's rare. If we got him he wouldn't think about the QB position again for at least a decade. The further you get away from the high prospects the more it becomes a crapshoot.

This data is 4 years old but to give you an idea, this is the success rate in the draft.

1st-16th: 81% success rate.

17th-32nd: 65%

2nd round: 48%

3rd round: 25%

4th round: 13%

5th round: 6%

6th round: 16%

7th round: 6%

That's just the guy being good enough to be a solid starter for several years. Not even world class. Once you leave the first round it becomes worse than a coin flip. Really you are better drafting high 2 or 3 years in a row to get your guy than hoping a coin flip goes your way. The last two weeks vs the Jets and Ravens did not help the coaching staff identify who was good or not

Certainly didn’t last year on either point.
It may not have been easy, but they went 12-4. And borrowing the words from Aaron Rodgers, Brady's "bad year" is a career year for most QB's.

Please stop it with this nonsense.
Truth

You just need to see more losses. Rex Ryan used to say "look at our team and look at NEs" He was right. The Jets had 1st rounders everywhere and a great defense. But Rex had Sanchez and NE had Brady.

It may not have been easy, but they went 12-4. And borrowing the words from Aaron Rodgers, Brady's "bad year" is a career year for most QB's.
I thought not long ago these Patriots could make the playoffs if they kept Brady. Not so sure about that now.

First reaction to this game...

h0f6pas019sz.png

Second reaction to this game...

tenor.gif

He certainly did neither last season.
This team was 12-4 last season. This team we will likely not finish with a winning record this season and has lost to and nearly lost to some basement dweller teams

This team was 12-4 last season. This team we will likely not finish with a winning record this season and has lost to and nearly lost to some basement dweller teams
I’m no longer convinced the Patriots would have been a lock for the playoffs this year if they kept Brady. Probably wouldn’t be 4-6 but I doubt they’d be much better.

Also
2019 Texans 28 Patriots (with Brady) 22
2020 Texans 27 Patriots 20.

Heh.

I hear you. But over half these teams, I would assume they're playing musical chairs too with the older QBs (Matt Ryan, Stafford, etc). I don't recall this being a bonanza QB draft. So 5 QBs in the first round would be surprising. I'm just not convinced a #8 pick for us is going to save the franchise while a #13 won't help us at all.

Again it depends on who is in front of us and who is willing to trade. It also depends on what Bill does. Bill is historically a very conservative drafter. He knows where he values guys and he trades down if he doesn't want to pull the trigger. That's just how he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back