PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2022 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

That's an actual honest take and I respect the position.

I agree with point 1, mostly agree with point 2 but I can see an argument for Bill Walsh.

Point 3 though I fully disagree.

No HC in the NFL or any other major professional sport has been successful in their 70s.

Greg Poppovich is possibly the greatest HC of all time in the NBA. He never had a losing season or missed the playoffs his entire career until he hit age 70. Since hitting 70 he has been under .500 and missed the playoffs every year.

70 is a real wall for coaching. You can't find any successful HC in a major professional sport at that age.

At least with professional athletes there is Randy Johnson pitching until 45 at a high level. While Randy Johnson didn't have to move in the pocket, the use of the arm of pitcher is at least equal to the stress of the arm of a QB.

Not saying Brady being this successful at 45 was a slam dunk, in fact it was fair to question if he could do it. Just like it's fair to question Bill at 70 and beyond
Well, that snuck on me. BB's 70 now, Marv Levy retired at 72... and that was in '97, a few years after the Bill's Runner Up Dynasty of the early 90s.

ON THE OTHER HAND... back in the day, Ronald Reagan (who legit slept through most of his reign) was 70 when first elected POTUS, and everybody's head exploded at a few things, one being how dang old he was. Both our last 2 presidents have been older, and that includes the most recent one, who actually was the choice of the majority of voters. Biden is 80 now.

So the point isn't to trigger anybody w politics, it's that functioning into old age is more doable now for those who succeed in middle age. I think a large part of it is that stuff that used to straight up kill you can now be managed... but half of it is it's no longer okay to shrug, say "too old," and then move on. I mean, when my dad was my age, he had a heart issue different from my quite ordinary one. My quite ordinary one is, to date, resolved by a pretty much painless stent procedure, and subsequent treatment with statins. But here's the thing, none of that even existed in his time. These things might have bought him more time, I don't know. They might now cure what killed him, I don't know. But I do know that people with plain old cardiac artery disease now remain alert and functional and alive... just an example.

Marv Levy really showed his age too. Back then there were jokes about how old he was... you'll notice most people aren't really doing that with BB, nationally at least (I am sure some local sports jocks do, but generally when you say "Bill Belichick" the reaction isn't AARP, it's W.)

So I guess that interestingly enough, this is exactly where his career begins to echo Brady's. He can either try to coach another 5 years, or say "better a year early than a year late." I am sure he doesn't think he sucks yet. :D

Time for the Prevagen jellyfish ice cream.

Well, that snuck on me. BB's 70 now, Marv Levy retired at 72... and that was in '97, a few years after the Bill's Runner Up Dynasty of the early 90s.

ON THE OTHER HAND... back in the day, Ronald Reagan (who legit slept through most of his reign) was 70 when first elected POTUS, and everybody's head exploded at a few things, one being how dang old he was. Both our last 2 presidents have been older, and that includes the most recent one, who actually was the choice of the majority of voters. Biden is 80 now.

So the point isn't to trigger anybody w politics, it's that functioning into old age is more doable now for those who succeed in middle age. I think a large part of it is that stuff that used to straight up kill you can now be managed... but half of it is it's no longer okay to shrug, say "too old," and then move on. I mean, when my dad was my age, he had a heart issue different from my quite ordinary one. My quite ordinary one is, to date, resolved by a pretty much painless stent procedure, and subsequent treatment with statins. But here's the thing, none of that even existed in his time. These things might have bought him more time, I don't know. They might now cure what killed him, I don't know. But I do know that people with plain old cardiac artery disease now remain alert and functional and alive... just an example.

Marv Levy really showed his age too. Back then there were jokes about how old he was... you'll notice most people aren't really doing that with BB, nationally at least (I am sure some local sports jocks do, but generally when you say "Bill Belichick" the reaction isn't AARP, it's W.)

So I guess that interestingly enough, this is exactly where his career begins to echo Brady's. He can either try to coach another 5 years, or say "better a year early than a year late." I am sure he doesn't think he sucks yet. :D

Time for the Prevagen jellyfish ice cream.
leonardo-dicaprio-what-are-you-talking-about.gif

Sure but why would you be happier that SF knocks out TB? I'm curious.
It would be cool to see the story: the SF boy who idolized Montana, then surpassed him, then became a Patriot and became synonymous with the Patriots, and replaced the 9ers for the rest of the nation with the Patriots, probably thinking his dream final act would be a year with the 9ers. I don't wish bad fortune on anybody, but after 7 rings, you can hardly call it a tough row to hoe. It's just so poetic to imagine Tom Brady, of all people, thinking "wish that were me...." especially about that innocent childhood sports loyalty dream... like he could get any grownup, pro honor, but that simple pleasure of making real the "I'm Joe Montana!" moment from the back yard 35 years ago eludes him.

It's a satisfying little story to imagine. I guess it would also be satisfying to imagine it the other way, where he did play that one season, and get that one ring, with SF. (That said, now that Yoko won't be in his ear, he's probably got til he's 50.)

I know he also lost 3 SBs, but he was with the Pats for those. I don't look at those and think "what a fitting comeuppance." So, if there's any satiisfying storyline in that, it's lost on me.

It would be cool to see the story: the SF boy who idolized Montana, then surpassed him, then became a Patriot and became synonymous with the Patriots, and replaced the 9ers for the rest of the nation with the Patriots, probably thinking his dream final act would be a year with the 9ers. I don't wish bad fortune on anybody, but after 7 rings, you can hardly call it a tough row to hoe. It's just so poetic to imagine Tom Brady, of all people, thinking "wish that were me...." especially about that innocent childhood sports loyalty dream... like he could get any grownup, pro honor, but that simple pleasure of making real the "I'm Joe Montana!" moment from the back yard 35 years ago eludes him.

It's a satisfying little story to imagine. I guess it would also be satisfying to imagine it the other way, where he did play that one season, and get that one ring, with SF. (That said, now that Yoko won't be in his ear, he's probably got til he's 50.)

I know he also lost 3 SBs, but he was with the Pats for those. I don't look at those and think "what a fitting comeuppance." So, if there's any satiisfying storyline in that, it's lost on me.
Or it would be more satisfying to those that continue to support the Greatest Player in Patriots history that:

1. TB faces SF in the NFCCG @SF and Brady disposes of the franchise that wasn't interested in signing him as a FA and his old collegue (that m'fer) that was supposed to be the Pats QBOF.
2. TB beats the Bills in a SB for the ages with a 4QGWD, breaking the hearts of all Bills fans once again.

That has a Patriot connection and should be satisfying to most loyal Pats fans except the butt hurt ones that would actually root for the Bills. Lol

Or it would be more satisfying to those that continue to support the Greatest Player in Patriots history that:

1. TB faces SF in the NFCCG @SF and Brady disposes of the franchise that wasn't interested in signing him as a FA and his old collegue (that m'fer) that was supposed to be the Pats QBOF.
2. TB beats the Bills in a SB for the ages with a 4QGWD, breaking the hearts of all Bills fans once again.

That has a Patriot connection and should be satisfying to most loyal Pats fans except the butt hurt ones that would actually root for the Bills. Lol
Eh.

Regardless, I'll take the New England Patriots over the TB Buccaneers (OR the SF 49ers) over all of those. The compelling element of Brady's tantalus-like encounter with the Team of Brady's Youth doesn't trump my loyalty to the New England Patriots.

But if the Pats aren't going to be in it, sure, someone can beat the Bills in the Super Bowl, not like that's a novel outcome.

You’re giving yourself too much credit. I’m genuinely confused by that post, and I’d expect most are. You’re not interesting enough to stalk.
There you go, you're quoted, there's your attention.

Seriously, you ever notice how much of your time is expended trying to dictate to me what I should post and not post?

I know it's threatening when somebody bats around a premise a little for woolgathering when you have no clue why or how people gather wool.

It's okay if people have larger worlds than yours. Have another drink and let it all just happen. You'll live a happier life.

Seriously, you ever notice how much of your time is expended trying to dictate to me what I should post and not post?

I know it's threatening when somebody bats around a premise a little for woolgathering when you have no clue why or how people gather wool.

It's okay if people have larger worlds than yours. Have another drink and let it all just happen. You'll live a happier life.
It’s not that serious.

Let’s not have a heart attack over it.

Eh.

Regardless, I'll take the New England Patriots over the TB Buccaneers (OR the SF 49ers) over all of those. The compelling element of Brady's tantalus-like encounter with the Team of Brady's Youth doesn't trump my loyalty to the New England Patriots.

But if the Pats aren't going to be in it, sure, someone can beat the Bills in the Super Bowl, not like that's a novel outcome.
I guess you're still holding out hope for the novel outcome of the Pats going 13-5 like the thread you started. I'm trying to be more realistic. Yet, there's a chance Pats make it to the SB.

20221123_115743.jpg

I guess you're still holding out hope for the novel outcome of the Pats going 13-5 like the thread you started. I'm trying to be more realistic. Yet, there's a chance Pats make it to the SB.

View attachment 47581
Very difficult to see us beating the Titans, Dolphins, Queefs, or Bills in the postseason. I can see us beating the Bengals just because they don’t match up well with us, given their OL. We own the Chargers until proven otherwise. The Ravens game earlier in the year was a toss-up even with how badly the offense played.

Very difficult to see us beating the Titans, Dolphins, Queefs, or Bills in the postseason. I can see us beating the Bengals just because they don’t match up well with us, given their OL. We own the Chargers until proven otherwise. The Ravens game earlier in the year was a toss-up even with how badly the offense played.
We'll see what happens in these last 7 games. If this D is for real, they have a chance to make it into the playoffs and maybe win a WC game despite the limitations of the offense. But we've seen this movie before since 2019: impressive D through first half of the season that ends badly in Dec-Jan.

Through 10 games, Brady has completed an NFL-high 282 passes and attempted an NFL-high 427. (Those numbers lead the league even though the Buccaneers have only played 10 games and some teams have already played 11.)

If Brady keeps up that pace through 17 games, he’ll finish this season with 479 completions and 726 pass attempts. That would come up just short of Brady’s own completions record from last year (485), and also just short of Matthew Stafford‘s record for most pass attempts in a season (727, set in 2012).

Tom Brady threatening NFL single-season records for attempts and completions - ProFootballTalk

What the hell happened to you?

What the hell happened to you?
I think he’s slipping a bit, cognitively. I also don’t get the feeling that he gets out of the house all that often, which could be worsening the first issue.

Is this writer brainless with fields at 7 "Erasing Fields, though, is something nobody's done in a month-plus."

So I had to look as it was news to me that Fields is a top 10 QB. Yeah he can run but can he throw, he is a QB not a running back after all.
TD # = 13 meh
TD/int = 13/8. Fail. A top QB is 3 to 1 plus.
Yard passing = 1642. Fail. On the low end.
Completion %= 59%. Fail. Horrible rate.
Fumbles =14. Fail. That's got to be the highest in the league
Sack=44. Fail. He's already passed his last year totals, also gotta be the highest in the league.
His win/loss record the last month = 0-4. Fail. Horrible record for a QB the writer says no one could stop lol. He should be ranked somewhere in the 20s. Being able to run around like a headless chicken better than anyone else doesn't make you a top QB.

Brady is fairly ranked 9th.

JG is moving up at 12. If he can continue to play at this level or better, BB is going to start getting wet dreams of Mr GQ in NE tights.

Looking down way below at 29 is Mac but above him at 28 is Mayfielf, ouch.

Last edited:

Is this writer brainless with fields at 7 "Erasing Fields, though, is something nobody's done in a month-plus."

So I had to look as it was news to me that Fields is a top 10 QB. Yeah he can run but can he throw, he is a QB not a running back after all.
TD # = 13 meh
TD/int = 13/8. Fail. A top QB is 3 to 1.
Sack=44. Fail. He's already passed his last year totals, also gotta be the highest in the league.
His win/loss record the last month = 0-4. Fail. Horrible record for a QB the writer says no one could stop lol. He should be ranked somewhere in the 20s. Being able to run around like a headless chicken better than anyone else doesn't make you a top QB.

JG is moving up at 12. If he can continue to play at this level or better, BB is going to start getting wet dreams of Mr GQ in NE tights.

They've been on Field's jock since before he was drafted, and they've been going crazy over running QBs since even before that, so it's not surprising that a couple of "Hey, I didn't completely suck, even as we lost yet another game and I haven't passed for more than 150 years in any of the past five outings!" games are being ridiculously overhyped.

TD # = 13 meh
TD/int = 13/8. Fail. A top QB is 3 to 1 plus.

Mahomes is #1 by any QB index. I still have Allen at #2 despite the recent struggles. Fields is too high on this list but he's in the midst of an incredible stretch running the ball which is likely to end now with the non-throwing shoulder injury. Fields also has no help whatsoever on that offense... it's basically all up to him. And the Bears front office gave up on the season too early when they traded away their defense. Mac Jones is where he belongs at #29 and two of the three QBs behind him just got benched. And the one just ahead.

Secret photo of Brady grooming his backup. Perhaps violating Bucs salary cap so do not forward out of this Forum.
1669234547378.png

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back