PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP ****** Official 2021 Training Camp Thread ******

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you can agree that this is absolutely NOT what a player like Stidham needs at this critical junction of his Patriots career, yes ?

Sure, he might be active a week from now, but while there is little actual football to discuss, it stands out iMO.
He could be active tomorrow was point, we just don’t know. Of course any player on the bubble has a better chance if they miss no time.

My top 5 players to watch:

1. Jones
2. Harry
3. Wynn
4. Michel
5. Winovich

Stidham ran a passing camp and then was very active in minicamp so the PUP designation day 1 seems very peculiar to me.

Otherwise good to see Gilmore did indeed report. It feels like things are on track for him to ultimately take the field in 2021 with a contract modification, but I'd be surprised if it was more than just a raise this year. I do hope they can keep him a few more years even if that means letting him field offers next year. But they've also gotta think about how they keep JC, so obviously there are a lot of moving parts.

1. Jones
2. Harry
3. Wynn
4. Michel
5. Winovich
Honestly, I don’t expect anything out of Harry. It’ll be status quo, bust city. I don’t expect the Pats NOT trading him to motivate him to be a good player all of a sudden. He is what he is.

Michel, I don’t think it matters. Them not signing his 5th year option speaks volumes.

IF Wynn can stay healthy, the Oline will be top 5 in the NFL.

Winovich, though I like him, probably won’t survive camp. Starting off on PUP puts him at a HUGE disadvantage, and now the team has Judon, Van Noy, Uche, Jennings & Perkins. As well as Wise, who basically does the same thing as Winovich. I think he’s going to be on another team week 1.

I think we will all be watching Jones very carefully. But I think we all need to give him time. May take a year or two to become who we want him to be.

Honestly, I don’t expect anything out of Harry. It’ll be status quo, bust city. I don’t expect the Pats NOT trading him to motivate him to be a good player all of a sudden. He is what he is.

Michel, I don’t think it matters. Them not signing his 5th year option speaks volumes.

Winovich, though I like him, probably won’t survive camp. Starting off on PUP puts him at a HUGE disadvantage, and now the team has Judon, Van Noy, Uche, Jennings & Perkins. As well as Wise, who basically does the same thing as Winovich. I think he’s going to be on another team week 1.

I think we will all be watching Jones very carefully. But I think we all need to give him time. May take a year or two to become who we want him to be.
Not signing 5th year option with Michel simply means he wasn't worth that much money. I imagine there is some number they would be willing to sign him to.

Gilmore going on PUP seems to serve dual purposes. Since he's a multi-year veteran of both the NFL and the Patriots, he can take his time coming back from injury and not fall behind, and it gives him and the team more time to come to a contract resolution without an official holdout potentially causing a distraction. It doesn't mean a resolution is necessarily imminent, but it does seem to indicate that the two sides are amicable at this point in time.

Probably but players with minor injuries go on pup also until they can take the field.
In his case they won’t push him into practice and off pup until he is 100%. I would have been shocked if he was 100% in July.
Yea being expected to be 100% 7 months for a quad injury which required surgery is a stretch

1. Jones
2. Harry
3. Wynn
4. Michel
5. Winovich
The season should be quite interesting. I don’t feel like these are the players I’m most interested in watching (other than Jones). Cam could start, Harry likely won’t be on the roster (not even likely to see the field very much if he makes it), I love Wynn but LT could be handled with Brown (moving Onwenu to RT), the RB situation wouldn’t be a disaster with Harris and friends, and the influx of LBs could make Wino expendable/an after thought. I’m not saying I’m advocating - just “it could happen” and they could be fine.

I’m much more interested in the newcomers : Judon-NA-Bourne-both TEs…

Last edited:
The season should be quite interesting. I don’t feel like these are the players I’m most interested in watching (other than Jones). Cam could start, Harry likely won’t be on the roster (not even likely to see the field very much if he makes it), I live Wynn but LT could be handled with Brown (moving Onwenu to RT), the RB situation wouldn’t be a disaster with Harris and friends, and the influx of LBs could make Wino expendable/an after thought. I’m not saying I’m advocating - just “it could happen” and they could be fine.

I’m much more interested in the newcomers : Judon-NA-Bourne-both TEs…

I agree, and I include rookies in that as well. As much as I want Jones to be the QB of the future (more near future than far future), the two rookies I want to have the biggest impact in 2021 are Barmore and Perkins. Unlikely both contribute regularly, just based on draft averages, but hitting on those two positions would bring the front seven up to match the strength of the secondary. Our best hope of contention in 2022 and beyond is Mac Jones. Our best hope of contention in 2021 is having a nasty defense.

With training camp comes my excitement for the start of the football season, as well as terrible anxiety every morning when I wake up to check the news/injury reports

1. Jones
2. Harry
3. Wynn
4. Michel
5. Winovich
I don't know what they do with Harry? Does he fully participate and risk getting hurt? He put himself in a strange situation with the timing of his trade request.

Winovich has Jets written all over him.

I don't know what they do with Harry? Does he fully participate and risk getting hurt? He put himself in a strange situation with the timing of his trade request.

I think you have him participate fully (or at least as much as you were planning on repping him already). His value right now is likely VERY low, which means if you play him and he gets hurt, you haven't lost all that much. But playing him has the (very) small chance that he surprises, or at least shows enough positive reports that he improves his trade value. In short, the chance that you get a 5th instead of a 6th is IMO worth the risk that you get nothing instead of a 6th.

I agree on Harry. I don't know what they do with him in camp but he is pretty much a dead man walking. I can't see any team giving up much more than a conditional 6th round pick for a guy who might just get released and become available via waivers.

I agree on Michel as well. He is what he is. Decent in a committee but not a bell cow. Run him into the ground and then let him walk.

Winovich is an interesting one to watch this year. Reading between the lines makes one think that the coaching staff isn't high on him with all the edge guys they brought in this year. There was also the report last year he was viewed as a bit of a "locker room lawyer" so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is cut or traded at some point in camp. Pretty disappointing considering how much potential he has shown at times.

Stidham on PUP.

An “injury” - quotes on purpose - to protect him before a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes