PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Trade Deadline “Ideas”

I'd do it if the money can work out. Collins is a terrific athlete who would have a new DC to work with. If there's any bad blood with Patricia, that's not an issue.

Why would the Browns trade him, though? Their D has kept them in every game this year.

So Cleveland will pay him to play for the patriots? That’s stupid.

It's the Cleveland Browns.

Seriously though, I think this hypothetical trade makes no sense for the Patriots. I don't think Collins is done from a physical standpoint but mentally I don't think he has it anymore.

Doubt if Arizona trades him. But, I loved H. Reddick-LB coming out of a Temple a couple years ago. Supposedly, doesn’t fit their scheme??

Our ability to cover backs and TE's in the middle of the field is terrible. We need speed on the defense. Particularly at LB. Maybe there's a player out there. Marquis Flowers just got cut by Detroit, but we tried him there in the Super Bowl and he wasn't the answer.

Maybe a bigger safety that can cover a RB on a wheel route.

RBs maybe, but we just picked up Barner again and signed Farrow to the PS. Burkhead's injury in Detroit was to his neck. Is he a candidate to return after 8 weeks or does he need longer?

Maybe we are sellers too. We are up against the cap and there may be players on the roster that could help another team that we aren't playing a lot: Grissom, Davis, Karras, Rivers, Croston have been on the inactive list a lot. None of these guys makes a lot of money though.

I guess there's two sides to the equation. If we trade for a player... someone has to be released too.

With 1+ million in cap space. I don't see a lot of action. Maybe a few minor moves for situational players for the defense.

No cap space for Collins. Plus I've seen video of him this year where he looks like he's lethargic and playing touch football. What a waste of talent.

Another player who got his payday and lost his motivation.

I'd do it if the money can work out. Collins is a terrific athlete who would have a new DC to work with. If there's any bad blood with Patricia, that's not an issue.

I doubt that Patricia was the issue.

I'd be more interested in Reddick (if rumors are true). Buchanon only possible via a sign+trade with help from Arizona in exchange for a better pick. But I am not sure BB is in the business of giving out extensions to players before seeing how they do here.

Not sure what else is there.

Patrick Peterson anyone? He’s better than Cooks. We gave up a first for Cooks. We’d have Peterson for 2 1/2 years.

Patrick Peterson anyone? He’s better than Cooks. We gave up a first for Cooks. We’d have Peterson for 2 1/2 years.
DBs are not the Pats biggest need despite some awful plays. LBs who can cover and possibly DEs who can generate some pressure on QBs

I’d take the Pat Pete trade in a heartbeat with what he could offer us. Would be two legit shutdown corners. Issue is the cap and I have no idea how we’d work that out this year

I’d take the Pat Pete trade in a heartbeat with what he could offer us. Would be two legit shutdown corners. Issue is the cap and I have no idea how we’d work that out this year
It would be very hard to work it out for any year, especially with having paid Gilmore. There’s also the fact that McCourty is scheduled to have a 13.5m dollar hit too, next season.

It's the Cleveland Browns.

Seriously though, I think this hypothetical trade makes no sense for the Patriots. I don't think Collins is done from a physical standpoint but mentally I don't think he has it anymore.
The Pats didn’t keep him through his cheap rookie deal where he was making 500k in his final year. I highly doubt that they suddenly want him now for 12m, or about 24x the cost. As a matter of fact, I think it’s safe to say that we may as well put our time to better use by focusing on the Larry Fitzgeralds and Calvin Johnsons of the world.

It would be very hard to work it out for any year, especially with having paid Gilmore. There’s also the fact that McCourty is scheduled to have a 13.5m dollar hit too, next season.

McCourty will need to rework his deal or i imagine he will be cut. He’s not a 13.5m safety in my opinion. I can see a lot of restructures happening this season/off season.

DBs are not the Pats biggest need despite some awful plays. LBs who can cover and possibly DEs who can generate some pressure on QBs

LB coverage hasn't really been much of an issue so far:

Bentley .. 2 of 4 tgts, 16 yds, INT
KVN ...... 6 of 10 tgts, 36 yds, INT
HT ....... 7 of 12 tgts, 48 yds, INT
Roberts .. 5 of 7 tgts, 26 yds, 2 PBU

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST