PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Suspension and Boycott begins at my house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please take my advice and put him on Ignore like I did. Just click his name and options will come up. This guy will go on for eons making the same points and tit-for-tatting. You should see some threads about Kraft that he dragged out for many pages with childish antics. Icing on the cake here was his creepy request to watch me via a smart phone app while I am not watching the opener. Yeah, that's normal,

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. - Mark Twain

Lol.....says the whining 'watch me not watch football some of the time'

I'm now motivated... I feel I can actually keep myself from watching about 75% of the first four games...

closing-eyes-o.gif

Plus... my eye muscles will become SUPER strong. ;)

I think Illegal Contact makes some really interesting points in a humorous way. I like the discourse.

There is a phenomenon in society I've noticed I call Intelligent Mass Killer Phenomenon. It began with the advent of a global media that hyper focuses on personalities. What has happened is a lot of high profile killers and serial killers became incredibly famous, guys like Mark David Chapman and John Hinckley. Television shows and movies have portrayed serial killers as highly intelligent, much like Hannibal Lector. Because their impact is so great and their fame almost like a movie star, society typically assumes a mass killer is of highly intelligent nature, answering to some deranged value system that is meticulously crafted.

In reality, the overwhelming majority of serial killers and mass shooters are uneducated, with a below average IQ, with very simple motives, an urge to kill that they don't understand nor care too. Most are simpletons who are simply unable to express themselves, so they lash out on the grandest stage.

People tend to project their own assumptions as soon as they hear about a mass shooting or serial killer. They immediately interpret actions and words to be highly cryptic, containing riddles, a web spun by someone who knows something. In fact, most of those killers are just incredibly unsophisticated and rather stupid.

Are you sure you don't think Illegal Contact is more intelligent than he actually is, since he is often talked about and the subject of much scorn?

There is a phenomenon in society I've noticed I call Intelligent Mass Killer Phenomenon. It began with the advent of a global media that hyper focuses on personalities. What has happened is a lot of high profile killers and serial killers became incredibly famous, guys like Mark David Chapman and John Hinckley. Television shows and movies have portrayed serial killers as highly intelligent, much like Hannibal Lector. Because their impact is so great and their fame almost like a movie star, society typically assumes a mass killer is of highly intelligent nature, answering to some deranged value system that is meticulously crafted.

In reality, the overwhelming majority of serial killers and mass shooters are uneducated, with a below average IQ, with very simple motives, an urge to kill that they don't understand nor care too. Most are simpletons who are simply unable to express themselves, so they lash out on the grandest stage.

People tend to project their own assumptions as soon as they hear about a mass shooting or serial killer. They immediately interpret actions and words to be highly cryptic, containing riddles, a web spun by someone who knows something. In fact, most of those killers are just incredibly unsophisticated and rather stupid.

Are you sure you don't think Illegal Contact is more intelligent than he actually is, since he is often talked about and the subject of much scorn?
I never used the word "intelligent" but I suppose you're right... Illegal Contact does seem a bit obsessed with Jodie Foster.

I've been duped again!

prob gonna just watch this stupid sport called football that i enjoy for whatever reason and find other things to get this worked up over ie things that happen in my actual life

Way over the top IMO ...
but it's important to live life with a clear conscience and the path of a principled person is honorable.

Way over the top IMO ...
but it's important to live life with a clear conscience and the path of a principled person is honorable.

I feel this is warranted not based on a suspension to Tom Brady itself but flat out despicable way the whole thing was carried out. Let's keep in mind as Patriots fans, this
is the second "scandal" we have gone through. I didn't do a single thing about Spygate, even though we are all well aware of the league and media bias on that one.

Roger Goodell fed us horse excrement and told us it was chocolate for eighteen months. It began with fake numbers being leaked to the press and the league's refusal to correct them knowing they were wrong. The league gave the Patriots organization those same BS numbers and pretended they were real. They stabbed Stacey James in the back by telling him all the numbers will be corrected, which they were as a blurb when released on the same day as the Notwells Report. The report was basically criminal in its dishonesty. Goodell urinated on our faces when he flat out lied about Brady's testimony. He then had the league leak that Brady wanted the records sealed when the opposite was true. Everything the league and Goodell did was a dishonorable con job with he sole purpose of smearing the hero of an entire region of the country.

I just wanted to remind you a little bit about "over the top" and what exactly was done here. This wasn't a disagreement or different interpretation of facts here. I could go further by I think we've all discussed it enough. The more you understand Defamegate and its context, the more you realize how criminal it all was, and the more you realize that the NFL has been enabled, by passive indifference, to basically bend you over with a strap-on while you thank then with more viewership and loyalty.

I feel this is warranted not based on a suspension to Tom Brady itself but flat out despicable way the whole thing was carried out. Let's keep in mind as Patriots fans, this
is the second "scandal" we have gone through. I didn't do a single thing about Spygate, even though we are all well aware of the league and media bias on that one.

Roger Goodell fed us horse excrement and told us it was chocolate for eighteen months. It began with fake numbers being leaked to the press and the league's refusal to correct them knowing they were wrong. The league gave the Patriots organization those same BS numbers and pretended they were real. They stabbed Stacey James in the back by telling him all the numbers will be corrected, which they were as a blurb when released on the same day as the Notwells Report. The report was basically criminal in its dishonesty. Goodell urinated on our faces when he flat out lied about Brady's testimony. He then had the league leak that Brady wanted the records sealed when the opposite was true. Everything the league and Goodell did was a dishonorable con job with he sole purpose of smearing the hero of an entire region of the country.

I just wanted to remind you a little bit about "over the top" and what exactly was done here. This wasn't a disagreement or different interpretation of facts here. I could go further by I think we've all discussed it enough. The more you understand Defamegate and its context, the more you realize how criminal it all was, and the more you realize that the NFL has been enabled, by passive indifference, to basically bend you over with a strap-on while you thank then with more viewership and loyalty.

Are you still trying to convince yourself?

I'll bet you a dollar you'll be watching Sunday night

Scorn? Why? Because I call out the completely asinine?

Talk about ignorance.....you can't even not watch without the needed reaffirmation (I think you're going to watch)

I'm calling BS on you.....don't forget to live stream you not watching the game......otherwise blathering about this supposed principle is pointless

good job ignoring me though.....even though you can't stop talking about me

Last edited:
I've stopped watching and didn't get Sunday Ticket this year. I'm a Nielson family so that's 40,000 homes I count for. If you're not, do what you want.

That is awesome. I hope many people in this thread will read this and take note...particularly those who are skeptical that one individual is capable of making a dent. I don't look down on anyone who isn't joining a boycott, that's my own thing, but I think it's great that you've done this, especially since it makes a statement for so many people. Thanks.

I need to start watching less NFL Network.

OK, my two cents.

Few layers to this, some easy, some a little trickier. As to whether this is worthy of a thread, since some seem to think it’s not. Of course it is—have you seen some of the threads on this board? Plenty to choose from. Many are dopey/trivial. But discussing your response to the NFL’s conduct during the whole deflategate fiasco? Easy call—definitely worthy of a thread.

Are your actions reasonable?

Well, they won’t make any “difference,” in the sense of the NFL noticing or caring, the numbers you tallied up aside. But as others have said, that’s hardly the point, or at most a secondary one—if enough people did this, it could have an impact, I suppose. But any individual watching/not watching, making NFL purchases, etc., is essentially irrelevant. The analogy I would draw is to voting. For the purpose of deciding an election, your vote doesn’t matter, or at least there’s an infinitesimal chance it will matter. But you vote because you do your part. Because (to you, if you vote) it’s the right thing to do.

So in that sense, it’s not an unreasonable reaction. It’s on principle. But will I join you? No. Two reasons.

I love sports, particularly pro football. But it is, at its core, a fundamentally trivial thing. It’s an entertainment to me, and so something I have difficulty mustering your kind of righteous indignation about.

But the key issue to me is more that the NFL’s behavior, as egregious as it’s been, simply doesn’t rise to the level of the kind of evil that to me would justify this response. To use a ridiculous example, if it turned out that Roger Goodell ordered each NFL team to sacrifice a newborn before each home game (actually, I could envision this), then I would not hunker down in front of the TV on Sunday and say, “damn, I hate those baby sacrifices, but I really gotta see what Garoppolo’s got.”

The league has acted abominably, but within the bounds of what I would expect from a group of corrupt, shabby bureaucrats. Embarrassing and infuriating, but such is life. I can’t imagine the list of what I would have to boycott if I used this standard on every commercial entity I come in contact with.

So it’s not for me, but what you’re doing isn’t crazy and is to me worthy of a (way too long ;)) response. Now if you were a friend of mine, I would probably (affectionately) berate you for taking this so seriously and urge you to lighten up. But I would, and do, tip my cap to your principles and commitment.

The NFL and the talking head stuff is getting harder to watch to me. A million commercials, a million replays, practically every play gets reviewed by officials, rules that require a couple court justices to interpret due to over-legislation. My viewing of NFL media and playing in fantasy leagues is way down to near elimination just due to a general lack of interest in other teams. I've been watching a lot more English Premier League in my spare time actually.

Having said that, I'll probably be checking in and out of other games and watching the Pats games. If the Pats aren't playing, it's usually the redzone channel. If the Pats game is not on where I am, I will watch a pirated feed. You should do you. I am not being critical. But the way I see it is Goodell and the NFL will never know whether not not I watch. Why deprive myself of our culture?

Glossed over the 5 pages but have you considered, rather than the exceptions, just watching the game at a bar? You mentioned no ESPN unless the Pats are on it or something, no NFL unless Super Bowl...why not change those "unless" situations to your local sports bar? That way you get to watch it and you don't "break" by tuning in to ESPN or the Super Bowl at home

Glossed over the 5 pages but have you considered, rather than the exceptions, just watching the game at a bar? You mentioned no ESPN unless the Pats are on it or something, no NFL unless Super Bowl...why not change those "unless" situations to your local sports bar? That way you get to watch it and you don't "break" by tuning in to ESPN or the Super Bowl at home

I want to be clear that I'm not going to act silly about this. I won't put on a blindfold in protest of ESPN or an NFL game is on at a bar. I'm not going to treat this like its a religious ritual to avoid these things. I just in general will not watch ESPN.

Another form of protest, if you will, is that I'd like seeing Pats fans making it known, early and often, that this entire season is tainted, due to the Brady suspension and lost 1st round draft pick.

Other teams cannot be allowed to believe that they have emerged victorious when there was a finger on the scales helping them.

I looked at a rodent messageboard and they were discussing whether this is the year they could finally dethrone the Pats.

They point out that the Pats will be without Brady for four games, and take it as a given of the current state of affairs, like injuries or emerging rookies, without a mention of the fact that the Pats are being severely punished for an offense they did not commit, as the NFL* tries to forcibly inflict parity on the league.

These fans who ignore this need to be reminded early and often, that any success they have vs the Pats is tainted.

I want to be clear that I'm not going to act silly about this. I won't put on a blindfold in protest of ESPN or an NFL game is on at a bar. I'm not going to treat this like its a religious ritual to avoid these things. I just in general will not watch ESPN.
Right, I gotcha. Your main point, to me, it seems is that you want to give as little money to the NFL as possible. Rather than being one of the millions to tune into something like the SB, might as well watch it at someone else's place or the bar. You know what I mean? That way you don't cut off your nose to spite your face and give the NFL money on its biggest day of the year.

Another form of protest, if you will, is that I'd like seeing Pats fans making it known, early and often, that this entire season is tainted, due to the Brady suspension and lost 1st round draft pick.

Other teams cannot be allowed to believe that they have emerged victorious when there was a finger on the scales helping them.

I looked at a rodent messageboard and they were discussing whether this is the year they could finally dethrone the Pats.

They point out that the Pats will be without Brady for four games, and take it as a given of the current state of affairs, like injuries or emerging rookies, without a mention of the fact that the Pats are being severely punished for an offense they did not commit, as the NFL* tries to forcibly inflict parity on the league.

These fans who ignore this need to be reminded early and often, that any success they have vs the Pats is tainted.
Every remaining season of NYFL football is now irrevocably tainted. Every draft pick, every FA signing, every game, every championship, all now come with a huge asterisk.

We will never know how things would have played out if the league had not conspired to improperly deny the Patriots their first round draft pick, but we know for sure it wouldn't have played out how it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes