PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Suspension and Boycott begins at my house

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be watching the Patriots Sunday probably not other NFL games. I don't drink beer or soda so I am ok there.

You are a better man than I Gungadin. I have vowed not to watch, attend games, etc., but I am weak and already wavering. Still not watching opening night, and still deciding about Pats debut. I did not watch preseason except when Brady was playing, and that just made me sad. It was sad because he was so much better than every other player out there and he had to be treated like a back-up trying to make the team. It's hard to watch the injustice being perpetrated on him. I am an attorney, and while I know that right does not always win, in this scenario, it should have won.

I am a season ticket holder. I vowed not to attend any games where Brady is not playing but even that is fraught with personal conflict. My husband does not like to attend games any more, so for the last few years I have mostly taken one of my sons, who just left for college last week, albeit in Boston, and he could take the train to attend the games (so I could give the tickets to him and his roommate, who, as lowly college students will not be contributing further to the NFL's bottom line). I've also considered selling my tickets, something I have never done. However, with the absence of my son, my 13 year old daughter (a budding big Pats fan like Mom) has planned it all out that I will take her to the games. She keeps reminding me that she and I will have a lot of fun, and we could attend a friend's tailgate that happens every week, so we will not be adding to NFL coffers. Now I don't want to disappoint my awesome kid (who does like the Pats but frankly is asking for a day with Mom without any of the "boys" (her 3 brothers or dad) around). Sigh. Why do pledges and rhetoric have to be interrupted by reality?

I know others have talked about depriving yourself when nobody cares, but I believe that if enough people stop contributing to the NFL 's bottom line and advertising dollars, they will have to make a change. Also, why should I feed the machine that is screwing me and my team?

Just my $.02. The NFL has put Pats fans in a painful position. The only way we can hit back, even a little, is not to contribute to the bottom line.

See this team can compete and has a good chance to go back to the SB..no way i would miss a game in a SB season but that's just me

While it's true that Goodell and the NFL have added some misery to my life, I see no value in adding more misery by depriving myself of one of life's greatest pleasures, namely, watching the Patriots in particular and the NFL, in general. Just not giving it up. I admire those who can. I can't and won't.

Last year I said I was thinking about not watching NFL games anymore. When I said it, though, I knew it was BS and I love football too much, and I am too weak. So I knew when the time came I would give in and watch.

However, last season I found myself missing watching Pats games and not participating in the forums as much. Not watching the games was unintentional....I just simply wasn't interested/not in the mood. So I realized after the season that deflategate has deflated me for the season.

I haven't seen any preseason games and I don't know if I'll watch the opener. Perhaps I need more time to recover from deflategate. I do know that I feel the same as the beginning of last season.....not interested and not in the mood. Deflategate may have permanently ruined my love of football.

I'll probably get back to loving football again and continue to watch but it probably won't be for some time. As for this season, it will be like last year. It will be a week to week decision based on my mood.

You are a better man than I Gungadin. I have vowed not to watch, attend games, etc., but I am weak and already wavering. Still not watching opening night, and still deciding about Pats debut. I did not watch preseason except when Brady was playing, and that just made me sad. It was sad because he was so much better than every other player out there and he had to be treated like a back-up trying to make the team. It's hard to watch the injustice being perpetrated on him. I am an attorney, and while I know that right does not always win, in this scenario, it should have won.

I am a season ticket holder. I vowed not to attend any games where Brady is not playing but even that is fraught with personal conflict. My husband does not like to attend games any more, so for the last few years I have mostly taken one of my sons, who just left for college last week, albeit in Boston, and he could take the train to attend the games (so I could give the tickets to him and his roommate, who, as lowly college students will not be contributing further to the NFL's bottom line). I've also considered selling my tickets, something I have never done. However, with the absence of my son, my 13 year old daughter (a budding big Pats fan like Mom) has planned it all out that I will take her to the games. She keeps reminding me that she and I will have a lot of fun, and we could attend a friend's tailgate that happens every week, so we will not be adding to NFL coffers. Now I don't want to disappoint my awesome kid (who does like the Pats but frankly is asking for a day with Mom without any of the "boys" (her 3 brothers or dad) around). Sigh. Why do pledges and rhetoric have to be interrupted by reality?

I know others have talked about depriving yourself when nobody cares, but I believe that if enough people stop contributing to the NFL 's bottom line and advertising dollars, they will have to make a change. Also, why should I feed the machine that is screwing me and my team?

Just my $.02. The NFL has put Pats fans in a painful position. The only way we can hit back, even a little, is not to contribute to the bottom line.

It has so much more to do with pouting and sulking than being a good man

A good man would just stop 100% and not advertise with the 'look at me not do something some of the time' noise

I don't think you understood the gist of my post.

I'm stating a position in which my time and money is for sale based on the product on the field because I chose not to have the business practices and ethically-challenged NFL influence my buying decisions.

You've chosen to watch games and not spend a dime on NFL-related items and thats totally fine.

It's not the question of what you choose to do to me.

It's the manifesto and the idea that anyone actually gives a **** whether some other stranger watches or not.

I could have just avoided the topic, but avoiding topics is not why we are here

It sounds like we've traveled down the same roads.

I also gave up MLB, in spite of the fact that the game is in my blood and I coached it for 20 years. I stepped away a few years before you and haven't missed it one bit.

As for the NFL...
- I've also been contemplating skipping the games until Brady comes back, but I haven't decided yet. I will definitely be dumping the NYJFL the moment Brady retires though.
- I don't see the NYJFL issuing an apology, so that puts a damper on games being viewed in your house.
- NFL Sunday Ticket is not applicable.
- I haven't bought any NFL merchandise in over a year. I know that I'll miss the blue fleece Patriot gloves eventually, but I still have one pair left and a couple of others spread out among the family.
- ESPN is dead to me, but I still sneak over to the NFL Network now and then. That will end when Brady is gone and I leave the NFL
- Most of the names you listed for a merchandise boycott (mine is much longer) probably support things that I wouldn't want anyway. The only thing I would miss would be Steve Biscioti's cookies. ;)

View attachment 13955

Would you mind sending me your boycott list? I know I missed a lot of former players and coaches, as well as "journalists". I'd like to edit my thread and add them, so I won't forget.

It's the manifesto and the idea that anyone actually gives a **** whether some other stranger watches or not.

You're hilarious. Other people don't give a ****, but you definitely do. You keep posting in here. We've already established you're going to watch, and we're not going to watch. What else needs to be discussed?

Sounds like all you wanna do is argue. Your energy would be better spent talking about the Cardinals, our week 1 opponent. Instead, you're here. And, yes, avoiding topics isn't the reason we're here, but you can avoid ONE topic out of dozens of others -- this one. But you won't, for whatever reason. What's your problem with someone making topics you disagree with? "Oh, no, this guy's getting attention. No one deserves attention. I better come in and put a stop to this right now by repeatedly saying, 'I don't give a ****.' That'll show 'em."

Last edited:
You're hilarious. Other people don't give a ****, but you definitely do. You keep posting in here. We've already established you're going to watch, and we're not going to watch. What else needs to be discussed?

Sounds like all you wanna do is argue. Your energy would be better spent talking about the Cardinals, our week 1 opponent. Instead, you're here. And, yes, avoiding topics aren't the reason we're here, but you can avoid ONE topic out of dozens of others -- this one. But you won't, for whatever reason. What's your problem with someone making topics you disagree with? "Oh, no, this guy's getting attention. No one deserves attention. I better come in and put a stop to this right now by repeatedly saying, 'I don't give a ****.' That'll show 'em."

Please take my advice and put him on Ignore like I did. Just click his name and options will come up. This guy will go on for eons making the same points and tit-for-tatting. You should see some threads about Kraft that he dragged out for many pages with childish antics. Icing on the cake here was his creepy request to watch me via a smart phone app while I am not watching the opener. Yeah, that's normal,

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. - Mark Twain

I think you and I see the issue the same.

I agree with you...maybe we are talking about different things. My problem with Illegal Contact isn't that he disagrees with me. I don't know if he disagrees with me. It's that he takes issue with me even posting it, basically saying no one cares and that this isn't a topic to start a thread about or "advertise" despite a slew of respnses from people who feel otherwise. Anyway, all good, just want to explain I'm not trying to come across as defensive. If people think it's a dumb idea, that's what they think. I just can't stand how Illegal Contact goes onto threads to say what a stupid idea it was to start the thread to begin with, but I think we all know he is mentally unbalanced at best. I am going to take my own medicine and put him on ignore. Thanks for your thoughts though.

He's just being a trolling ****bag. I put him on ignore earlier and TA-DA! no more toxicity emanating from his poisonous pie-hole.

I'm not sure I won't watch, but all the other stuff..most def. Still a pats fan but hate the NFL
Well, I've felt the same since the late afternoon of December 18, 1976.

Nothing has changed.

Well, it was a real home job out in Oakland today, and we'll have details coming up...

-Jim Boyd, Channel 5 News Anchor

I think Illegal Contact makes some really interesting points in a humorous way. I like the discourse.

Ice, I appreciate the thoughts behind your post. That said, this is a forum for expression about all things Pats, and you have to expect differing viewpoints... even when they're as delicately and sensitively expressed as the poster to whom you responded. ;) Cheers and good luck.

His family will notice. His friends will notice. Most important, he will notice, and he'll know that he did what he thought was right.

Which is exactly what I said but that doesn't change the fact the NFL won't notice. They are the target of this boycott. I'm not trying to disparage the way people want to show their frustration with the league. There are just some methods I don't understand the rationale of.

Although I totally respect the views expressed in this thread regarding boycotting the NFL and not watching the Pats if they become ****, I wholeheartedly have to disagree.

For me, supporting a team means backing them through hell and high water. I supported the Patriots when they were the worst team in football and I will if they become that again. I will support the Patriots when Bob Kraft is dead, when Bill is close to following him and when Tom is fat and sat on a beach.

There are 53 players out there who need the support and to know everyone is behind them. A sulky 'they hurt my Tom so I'm taking my ball home' attitude doesn't help them.

Feel free not to buy NFL merchandise, use illegal streams to watch the game, don't put money in the coffers of the likes of Goodell, but turning your back on the team and the jersey sucks.

Go Pats!
Welcome to the club. At least when we were 1-15, we had our red jerseys and real logo; our identity.

Full disclosure: I always hated those bright red Santa Claus footie-pajama bottom pants. To me, they said, "Let's have a sleep-over!"

The all-white roadies said "You're getting your ass kicked today, and all your fans are going home sad."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back