PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Volin on Mac Jones: “The kid needed to be humbled” - UPDATED: Claims people "in the building" agree on Mac and Judge advocating for Zappe

Sweet baby Jesus that’s amazing. Just who exactly is supposed to be the egotistical one here, Ben?

I said SOME Zappe supporters. But many people on this board including some people who are in the pro-Zappe crowd portrayed Judge as completely incompetent and not knowing anything about offense and not knowing anything about the quarterback position.
Did you see what Judge did to Daniel Jones? Judge completely trashed that NYG offense and set Daniel Jones back probably 2-3 years in his development. It's not a coincidence either that Daboll has that operation, including DJ, moving in the right direction. Judge was an utter disaster in New York. Incompetent sounds like an appropriate characterization.

And it doesn't take a genius to see the Patriots offense has been much improved with Zappe. That's just a fact, whether some nitwit agrees with it or not.

LOL so we are to believe that bb would base his decision on which qb starts the gb game on what would please mac’s camp? My goodness

Well Mac will have plenty of motivation to play great. Lets hope his chip is even half the size as tom’s was

Did you see what Judge did to Daniel Jones? Judge completely trashed that NYG offense and set Daniel Jones back probably 2-3 years in his development. It's not a coincidence either that Daboll has that operation, including DJ, moving in the right direction. Judge was an utter disaster in New York. Incompetent sounds like an appropriate characterization.

And it doesn't take a genius to see the Patriots offense has been much improved with Zappe. That's just a fact, whether some nitwit agrees with it or not.
Daniel Jones is not the reason the Giants are winning games. It’s Saquon Barkley and the defense.

Just want to give everyone a reminder Ben Volin was brought into the Red Sox Globe as a replacement for Albert Breer. They are the 1A and 1B of Pats sh!t stirrers. Pretty funny how it's just these 2 that are saying this stuff... Probably coordinated with each other.

Breer extra pissy that Mac is a better Pro QB than his Ohio St's Justin Fields.

Idk. If Mac needed to be humbled, he had company. Just sayin.'

They all need to get beyond this BS and win games.
Humbled is the wrong word.

Jones needed a wake up call. He has had no threat of losing his job for 1.3 seasons. That has all changed. The Pats rolled the red carpet out and gave Mac the keys to the city. Pats Nation should be counting the hours until Macs triumphant return. I dont live back there no more, but my sister does and she tells me there is Zappe fever in her circles. People are impressed with this Kid

May the QB who plays the best and wins be the starting QB for the Patriots. No excuses.

Daniel Jones is not the reason the Giants are winning games. It’s Saquon Barkley and the defense.
Let's not bore everyone with straight football talk but the main reason for the sudden turnaround in New York is Judge out and Daboll in. Also, Daniel Jones has looked better than he did in either of the last two seasons under Judge.

Well, Bill said this was going to be a process.

The Globe is about as out as media can be with the Patriots. There's a war dating back before Bill was even hired to coach.

I doubt anyone from The Globe has better sources than a dozen other local reporters.

So far, other locals I respect say Benny V is what we all know he is.

I had this discussion with Steve Balestrieri last night. He and I put a lot of time in on articles with analysis, numbers, etc and they don’t get anywhere close to the attention the nonsense gets. It’s ridiculous.
WEEI has this article on Volin, who sucks, and that other idiot who only writes about sports media. Riemer. It's to the point I don't even want to click onto their site. They are so bad. Hot takes and media commentary. Jesus H. Gone are the days of Will McDonough, Peter Gammons, Steve Buckley and Bob Ryan. Alex ****in Riemer and Trollin' Ben Volin. Sports media sucks. Boston used to be great. Now it's bereft of talent.
Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

Regarding your frustration about the lack of attention your site's articles receive, perhaps hire a better writer than SB whose reports resemble bad 5th grade level book reports. Sorry for the brutal honesty. He may know football but he struggles to structure basic sentences and it is painful to read.
Interesting how opinions (brutal or otherwise) are so often referred to as "honesty". This is a thread about how Volin sprouts "hot take" brutal opinions that he pulls out of thin air with no factual basis (apart perhaps from a fake DM that he didn't check out, according to some reports) to generate controversy and get clicks. You come back with your own "hot take", criticizing Steve Balestrieri who sticks to facts he can report, i.e., pretty much the polar opposite of Volin, saying that he writes at a 5th grade level (perhaps due to the lack of Volin-type manufactured drama in his writing), pulling your own opinion out of thin air to illustrate and exaggerate how Volin operates. Your irony is well played.

........Unless, you happen to actually be an expert at 5th grade writing (e.g., an elementary school English teacher), and you were serious. In that case, thank you for your important service to the community as a teacher, and never mind. ;)

You guys can remove him if you want. That was one of the first things I set up during the last update. The only thing I have no control over is if someone you do follow on that list retweets him.
Good to know I can ignore him. But now you have give me instruction on HOW to do it. I know (I think) how to ignore a poster, though I have never used it, but how does that work on the social media page?

Reactions: Ian
Ian's reply....

Yet Ian, your very next article is "media guy 1 reporting on media guy 2's hot take stuff that passes as news these days"

Regarding your frustration about the lack of attention your site's articles receive, perhaps hire a better writer than SB whose reports resemble bad 5th grade level book reports. Sorry for the brutal honesty. He may know football but he struggles to structure basic sentences and it is painful to read.

I have to disagree with this, well as much as anyone can disagree with an opinion.

As someone with degrees in English and ample experience in the world of creative writing, I am not sure a style above typical 5th grade writing is really needed for internet sports reporting. However, I once taught 7th grade English. I also read most of the articles that get posted here. I never really check to see whether an article is written by @Ian or someone else, but I have never seen anything written near as poorly as the typical 7th grader much less 5th grader.

But really all that is needed in these types of articles are facts and simple sentences. Too much verbal diarrhea and flowery language is not a good sign to me when it comes to journalism. Those who often have nothing to say try to hide that by saying too much. 7th graders (and all students) are famous for trying that. If I want to read creative writing, I will go elsewhere. When it comes to sports, I just want the information quickly so I can move on. But that's just me.

It's why I would be horrible at the job. Verbal diarrhea! :D

only thing that makes this questionable is that EVERY single beat writer from Boston is coming out against Volin saying he is dead wrong.

I was wondering why this thread had grown to 4 pages..

Looks like Volin had doubled on with another made up story, conveniently one that tries to legitimize his INITIAL made up story.

But it is YOUR post that should be a worthy of its own thread. McBrides comments are REALLY damning and shocking at the same time. THAT should be the headline we should be talking about. I've never heard of one sports writer damning another so directly AND publicly.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with this, well as much as anyone can disagree with an opinion.

As someone with degrees in English and ample experience in the world of creative writing, I am not sure a style above typical 5th grade writing is really needed for internet sports reporting. However, I once taught 7th grade English. I also read most of the articles that get posted here. I never really check to see whether an article is written by @Ian or someone else, but I have never seen anything written near as poorly as the typical 7th grader much less 5th grader.

But really all that is needed in these types of articles are facts and simple sentences. Too much verbal diarrhea and flowery language is not a good sign to me when it comes to journalism. Those who often have nothing to say try to hide that by saying too much. 7th graders (and all students) are famous for trying that. If I want to read creative writing, I will go elsewhere. When it comes to sports, I just want the information quickly so I can move on. But that's just me.

It's why I would be horrible at the job. Verbal diarrhea! :D
And that is why Ernest Hemmingway is so great. He cut through the crap and moved the story line along. I remember watching a piece on Hemingway on Biography many years a go and the thing that still stays with me was they showed examples of his process where he'd write a few pages than then spend HOURS paring down what he wrote. He was working hard to see if he could use one word instead of 3 and still tell the story he wanted.

Unfortunately, like you, I constantly fail to do what I admire most.

Last edited:
That's got to be a terminable offense by Volin.
In a just world, yes.

In the actual world - the Globe gets more clicks because people are all riled over what the troll says, which produces more advertising revenue for them. Volin gets a promotion, and is continued to be called “Patriots insider.”

Good to know I can ignore him. But now you have give me instruction on HOW to do it. I know (I think) how to ignore a poster, though I have never used it, but how does that work on the social media page?
No worries.

Click on the "Customize" button:

1666203347970.png

And then click on the "Show Media List" button:

1666203443084.png

And you can check/uncheck whoever you'd like. I do need to update that, so I'll try and do that in the next few days as some of them have moved on, changed outlets, etc.

That's got to be a terminable offense by Volin.
Given the history at the Globe, my guess would be at least a suspension. Other than being difficult to fans here in New England, I believe his record is otherwise clean enough that he'll survive it. Although, I'm guessing this ends his run on The Greg Hill Show on WEEI, especially given that Bill Belichick is on with them each Monday.

It's funny - he hesitated multiple times, which shows you he wasn't comfortable signing off on it. Should have trusted his gut.

WEEI has this article on Volin, who sucks, and that other idiot who only writes about sports media. Riemer. It's to the point I don't even want to click onto their site. They are so bad. Hot takes and media commentary. Jesus H. Gone are the days of Will McDonough, Peter Gammons, Steve Buckley and Bob Ryan. Alex ****in Riemer and Trollin' Ben Volin. Sports media sucks. Boston used to be great. Now it's bereft of talent.
Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF
Buckley is over at 'The Athletic' though....

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back