PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE@OAK . re-watch . thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raiders just fired Ken Norton Jr. Del Rio didn't like what he rewatched.

Regards,
Chris

More like deflecting blame. Del Rio is himself a DC, and obviously hired a DC with similar philosophy and background. Feeding soft zone coverages to Brady is like dangling meat in front of a sleeping croc. Good way to lose your hand or arm.

Ok, lets start with snap count as one basis for discussion.

The only development on O (apart from Karras seamlessly stepping in for Andrews) was further increase of the use of Dwayne Allen and corresponding decrease of Develin to his more standard %. Bennett also slightly up.

Bigger developments on D:
1. JJ snap count skyrocketed to his record 95%! And he certainly grabbed the opportunity. Huge development for 2018 as well.
2. Another riser for second week in a row is M.Flowers. He had impressive outing w forced fumble and PBU IIRC so hopefully we can find time to take a closer look at his last two games. Important re. speed hybrid option going forward.
3. Two other risers include new guys Ricky & Rilley . both showing solid presence on the line.
4. Surprising (hopefully not worrying) is decrease of Branch count esp. w Brown out.
5. The rise of M.Flowers keeps Richards on the margin. Of course some of it is about matchups but some trends are developing in last two weeks..

View attachment 18674

View attachment 18675
Interesting.
Works out to roughly an average of, per play
DL 3.2
LB 2.8
CB 2.9
S 2.5

So roughly we played 3 corners as the base (only 4 snaps with 2) and 3 safeties on about half the snaps.

Upfront in looks like 3 DL per snap plus 5 extra (counting Marsh's 2 as DL) and 2 LBs on half, 3 on the other half, IF we count M Flowers as LB rather than DE

I'd love someone reviewing the tape to look at M Flowers role.
Was he playing the Marsh, formerly Ninkovich role, or off the line, more like say Collins, and if that were the case, did Van Noy move up on the line and play the Nink role.
I'm under the impression we played 4 man fronts, but dropped one of the hybrid DE/OLB into coverage some of the time.
Could someone fit the personell into the roles for this game?

Clearly we intended to take away the passing game, and make them beat us on the ground.

More like deflecting blame. Del Rio is himself a DC, and obviously hired a DC with similar philosophy and background. Feeding soft zone coverages to Brady is like dangling meat in front of a sleeping croc. Good way to lose your hand or arm.
Del Rio firing anyone for how they defend Brady (which probably isn't the sole reason at all) is comical.
Del Rio and Tomlin should end up in the same retirement home comparing notes on how they couldn't defend Brady to save their lives.

This was pretty neat. Nothing super in depth, but fun to watch:

Interesting to not that one the TD to Cooks, Gronk breaks wide open too. It might not have gone for the TD, but it was as open as Gronk got all game

It's significant that for roughly the second half of the game, Patricia treats this like a training camp experiment, bringing different pressures on virtually every down.

Bedard has an interesting and very good analysis, unfortunately behind a paywall, but here's the teaser:

Bedard's Breakdown: Patriots' D sets stage for Steelers, playoffs with experimental 2nd half vs. Raiders

Here's one dramatic statistic from him - first 34 minutes around 6% pressures; last 26 minutes around 70% exotic pressures of all shapes and sizes, including some he's never seen before from the Patriots.

Maybe just putting weird stuff on tape to complicate preparations by opponents, or maybe just trying stuff out to see what he can do with his available tools, which don't include much in the way of traditional pass-rushers apart from Flowers.

Last edited:
1st qtr, 5:04, 3rd and 6, OAK 24
I'd like to see a better angle of the throw to Dorsett in the end zone.

3rd qtr, 12:50, 2nd and 5, OAK 43
The Left tackle just grabs Flowers and throws him down to the ground and jumps on top of him. Come on! That's got to be holding or something! Looks even more
egregious from the angle shown in replay

4th qtr, 14:56, OAK 50, 3rd and 6
Big play by Flowers in deflecting the pass. Chung got caught up in the pick. We really need to make sure we don't get picked.

Trevor Reilly had a few snaps playing off the line as LB this game.

Chung was back in on Base defense and played as the other Safety on some cover 2 looks.

Like last game, the Pats D played with a lot of 3 down lineman and 3 linebackers. Van Noy and sometimes Reilly would line up as one of the edge defenders while standing up.

Pats switched to dime personnel for the 4th qtr. Flowers #59, Van Noy, Butler and Jean-Francois rotated a few times. Wise and Flowers stayed on the entire time.

Allen had 11 run snaps and 13 pass snaps. 1 snap unaccounted for, sorry!

Allen went out for a route 11 times, blocked 2 times with the pass snaps.

2nd qtr, 14:30, NWE 38, 2nd and 10, 13 personnel, Allen in the slot on the left, Gronk right of line, Bennett right of line in motion laterally behind Gronk
TE Screen to Bennett running behind the lineman to the left before the reception. Allen engages #51 with leverage to the outside. #51 shoves his right hand into Allen's face before pulling and throwing Allen to the ground by his shoulder. You could say Allen got beat here, or you could say there should have been a penalty on #51 for hands to the face. It doesn't affect Bennett because the other player got him down.

Allen did a good job on this pass block with Waddle riding shotgun:
3rd qtr, 14:16, NWE 36, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen right of line off LOS, Gronk in the slot on the left

Allen was targeted twice and caught 2 balls:
1st qtr, 7:36, OAK 45, 2nd and 11, 12 personnel, Allen left of line, Gronk right of line
4th qtr, 10:53, NWE 36, 2nd and 4, 12 personnel, Gronk and Allen left to right at the end of line

Allen had 8 positive run blocking snaps.

1st qtr, 6:05, OAK 28, 1st and 10, 22 personnel FB, Allen right of line, Hollister in motion to left of line but off the LOS - Burkhead Fumble
Allen sets the edge well against Mack #52. Allen also holds #52 by his arm so he can't recover the ball and Allen recovers it himself. Even after Burkhead ran by and away from Allen, Allen held onto Mack's arm holding him back. Mack might have recovered the ball. Instead Allen has his arm wrapped around Mack's left arm in like an arm bar so Mack can't recover the ball. Allen recovers the ball instead!

1st qtr, 4:57, OAK 19, 1st and 10, 21 personnel FB, Allen right of line
Allen sets the edge very well against #52. Turns him to his side. #52 Mack looks frustrated with Allen and gives him like a get off me swatting of hands when the play was over.

2nd qtr, 15:00, NWE 33, 1st and 10, 22 personnel FB, Allen left of line, Gronk right of line
Allen sets the edge. #52 Mack does the swat Bosa, Miller and Barrett beat him with previously. This time Allen is able to turn himself around and engages Mack. I think #94 getting past Solder blew up the play. So Lewis went inside. Mack doesn't really attempt to turn the corner because Lewis is going towards the middle. But if Mack tried to turn the corner it looks like Allen had good position to push him past Lewis if Lewis went to the left.
This is an improvement against this move, and let's remember Bosa, Miller and Mack aren't exactly nobody's.
The most amusing part is Khalil Mack getting visibly frustrated with Allen's sustained blocking. Mack pushing and shoving before the whistle blows. Ref even comes in to break it up. Nice job getting under their #1 pass rusher's skin, Allen!

Allen had 2 snaps where there wasn't much he could do because of the D.

1st qtr, 11:16, NWE 13, 1st and 10, 22 personnel FB, Gronk and Allen left to right end of the line
Allen runs forward and looks to engage a defender, in this case the Safety in the box. The safety reacts to the run and shoots forward. Allen is too late to engage
the Safety inside. Not a negative play because I've seen quick receivers not able to engage a DB quick enough when they shoot forwards.

4th qtr, 2:00, NWE 24.5, 2nd and 6, 22 personnel FB, Hollister left of line, Allen right of line
Strech play going outside, Allen gets a little push inside by Edge defender while he moves up to engage LB #57. #57 has a little bit of outside leverage now. #57 disengages from Allen and runs away and then towards the runner.

Allen had 1 negative run blocking snap.

4th qtr, 1:14, NWE 26, 3rd and 5, 21 personnel FB, Allen right of line
Allen engages edge #47, #47 fights hard on this. Tries to disengage from Allen. Allen holds him as #47 uses one arm to try to tackle Burkhead. #57 cleans up the play.
You could call that ticky tacky, but I think Allen's job was to push #47 to the side. He doesn't quite succeed. Hard to tell but I think #47 is the one that slows him down too?

Another solid run blocking performance by Allen! And he improved on that swat move that he was getting beat on the last two games.

Last edited:
When Allen was on the field:(One unaccounted snap)

RUN ----- 1st qtr, 11:16, NWE 13, 1st and 10, 22 personnel FB, Gronk and Allen left to right end of the line
RUN ----- 1st qtr, 8:15, OAK 44, 1st and 10, 21 personnel FB, Allen right of line
PASS ---- 1st qtr, 7:36, OAK 45, 2nd and 11, 12 personnel, Allen left of line, Gronk right of line
RUN ----- 1st qtr, 6:05, OAK 28, 1st and 10, 22 personnel FB, Allen right of line, Hollister in motion to left of line but off the LOS
RUN ----- 1st qtr, 4:57, OAK 19, 1st and 10, 21 personnel FB, Allen right of line
PASS ---- 1st qtr, 4:18, OAK 15, 2nd and 6, 12 personnel, Allen in the middle of trips left receiver set, Gronk right of line
PASS ---- 1st qtr, 1:47, NWE 16, 1st and 10, 13 personnel, Allen in the slot on the left, Bennett in motion from right to left of line off LOS, Gronk right of line
RUN ----- 2nd qtr, 15:00, NWE 33, 1st and 10, 22 personnel FB, Allen left of line, Gronk right of line
PASS ---- 2nd qtr, 14:30, NWE 38, 2nd and 10, 13 personnel, Allen in the slot on the left, Gronk right of line, Bennett right of line in motion laterally behind Gronk
RUN ----- 2nd qtr, 33, NWE 7, 1st and 10, 22 personnel FB, Gronk and Allen left to right at end of line
PASS ---- 3rd qtr, 15:00, NWE 25, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen split out wide to the right, Gronk in the slot on the right, Amendola motions in between them
PASS ---- 3rd qtr, 14:40, NWE 30, 2nd and 5, 12 personnel, Allen in the slot on the left, Gronk in the middle on trips right
PASS ---- 3rd qtr, 14:16, NWE 36, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen right of line off LOS, Gronk in the slot on the left
PASS ---- 3rd qtr, 9:41, NWE 47, 1st and 10, 22 personnel FB, Allen in the slot on the right off LOS, Gronk next to him on the LOS
RUN ----- 3rd qtr, 8:20, OAK 37, 1st and 10, 21 personnel FB, Allen left of line
PASS ---- 3rd qtr, 7:49, OAK 34, 2nd and 7, 12 personnel FB, Allen left of line, Gronk right of line
PASS ---- 4th qtr, 11:38, NWE 30, 1st and 10, 12 personnel, Allen in the slot on the right off LOS, Gronk in the middle on trips left
PASS ---- 4th qtr, 10:53, NWE 36, 2nd and 4, 12 personnel, Gronk and Allen left to right at the end of line
RUN ----- 4th qtr, 10:29, OAK 45, 1st and 10, 22 personnel, Gronk and Allen left to right at the end of line.
PASS ---- 4th qtr. 9:58, OAK 42, 2nd and 7, 12 personnel, Gronk and Allen left to right in trips right. Allen on LOS
PASS ---- 4th qtr, 8:24, OAK 11, 3rd and 3, 12 personnel, Allen split out wide to the right, Gronk standing up but next to o-lineman on the right
RUN ----- 4th qtr, 2:34, NWE 21, 1st and 10, 22 personnel FB, Allen and Hollister left to right at end of line
RUN ----- 4th qtr, 2:00, NWE 24.5, 2nd and 6, 22 personnel FB, Hollister left of line, Allen right of line
RUN ----- 4th qtr, 1:14, NWE 26, 3rd and 5, 21 personnel FB, Allen right of line

Last edited:
This is almost unfair. First it is “undersized“ udfa Andrews taking place among top 5 NFL centers. Then his backup storms to #2 (albeit on the week).

Thanks Tony. I would be interested in understanding better how they are using Dorsett and how he is handling his responsibilities. With no touches, he was quiet on the broadcast. Also interested in RJF on the DL. Still looking for improvement against the run.

Hey Mack I owe you an apology. I never got around to this request. I attempted to but ran into a bunch of stuff this week. Car broke down on Thanksgiving and got a surprising job offer.

Anyways to answer your question without any video support. I got half way threw the game and took down some notes.

Basically they used Dorsett to clear out zones for other receivers. The only time he was targeted was a pass into the endzone which was incomplete but drew a flag for holding.

On top of that I consider him one of the better run blocking receivers on the roster. He's very aggressive in that role.

Hopefully this week will be less hectic.

Hey Mack I owe you an apology. I never got around to this request. I attempted to but ran into a bunch of stuff this week. Car broke down on Thanksgiving and got a surprising job offer.

Anyways to answer your question without any video support. I got half way threw the game and took down some notes.

Basically they used Dorsett to clear out zones for other receivers. The only time he was targeted was a pass into the endzone which was incomplete but drew a flag for holding.

On top of that I consider him one of the better run blocking receivers on the roster. He's very aggressive in that role.

Hopefully this week will be less hectic.
Thanks for the update and congrats on the offer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back