PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NYJ @ NE . re-watch . thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick Breakdown is up Belichick Breakdown: Top Plays against the Jets . Good analysis of Dion Lewis TD run involving fake motion by OL left to distract middle linebacker so Lewis can run right. Interesting discussion of some of the sacks, the safety, and the punt catch by Sleator. Also BB compliments Harrison tackling technique and emphasizes tackling.

Interesting perspective from Matt Chatham who has played in such conditions:

Belichick Breakdown is up Belichick Breakdown: Top Plays against the Jets . Good analysis of Dion Lewis TD run involving fake motion by OL left to distract middle linebacker so Lewis can run right. Interesting discussion of some of the sacks, the safety, and the punt catch by Sleator. Also BB compliments Harrison tackling technique and emphasizes tackling.

Here Belestrator in YT version if someone prefers:

Adam Butler is the man of the hour . and great job on open field tackling (that got MP excited during the game)

The 3rd down line w Harrison looked really strong (4:15): Wise-A.Butler-T.Flowers-Harrison pushing the pocket into QB and rushing at the same time. Big, strong, agile front 4 that you can't easily run on . with 7 dwarfs behind.

Edge setting has new meaning with Harrison on board . and like BGC mentioned, they can be more confident now putting Flowers inside in this situations.

Main takeaway IMO is BB seeing Harrison as a key addition:
Z: “Guys here get excited for a new guy..“
BB: “No doubt. No doubt.“

Last edited:
So happy to have Dion Lewis healthy for these playoffs. A true difference maker.

Not too familiar with the philosophy of snap counts regarding offense, but any reason why Cooks is far ahead of anyone else in snap count on offense?

???

Instant Playbook: Why Rob Gronkowski is 'the best blocking tight end in football'

Last edited:
As a distraction from the turd fountain that is ESPN I recommend to everyone to listen to Chathams newest podcast.

He hits on a couple of Jets stuff but then goes inyo big picture mode on Cooks, Dorsett, the defense.. and absolutely shockingly* has pretty much exactly the same opinion on most of those things as the reasonable people here.

In short.. Cooks is great at what he does but lacks a well rounded route tree, doesnt have the greatest hands and is not particularly elusive. His season was a success and it is a shame we didnt get to see him with Edelman on the field.

Dorsett is one of the people to watch this offseason because he was impressive in tape review being open often but not being looked at. Expects him to get even less looks in postseason as Hogan, MM & co are coming back.

The defense is playing well and everyone citing stats like YPG is a moron. He calls the Pats D one of the best in the playoff and goes on an epic dissemination of what matters in football games, Patriots tendencies/strategies and takes out hot takes people have about the Pats D.

If you like football and not the soap opera that has taken over most media right now please go and listen to it. It is amazing.

I made a separate thread for it once I finished his defense rant because it is just amazing. I dont want to derail too much of the rewatch with discussion on that..

Matt Chatham on the Patriots defense and pointlessness of cumulative stats in general

Last edited:

I mean more than any WR/TE/RB

I just don't know football strategy - is Cooks a WR you put into every package because his style just fits? I'm genuinely asking haha, I just thought it stood out.

Or am I reading the snap chart wrong? Why did I get a dislike and question mark for that post, I'm legitimately wondering haha. Am I getting something wrong here?

Dorsett is one of the people to watch this offseason because he was impressive in tape review being open often but not being looked at. Expects him to get even less looks in postseason as Hogan, MM & co are coming back.

Been harping on this since day one- he runs clean, crisp routes and is an outstanding blocker. I really hope we retain him.

Brady has always been anal when it comes to his reads, and sometimes I wonder if that works against him. It may well be the case with Dorsett who is often the last read and if Brady is not comfortable with his protection, he tends to lock on early reads.

But the good thing is he hasn't lost confidence in Dorsett because after Dorsett dropped that 40 yarder, Brady went right back to him to get a first down.

Been harping on this since day one- he runs clean, crisp routes and is an outstanding blocker. I really hope we retain him.

Brady has always been anal when it comes to his reads, and sometimes I wonder if that works against him. It may well be the case with Dorsett who is often the last read and if Brady is not comfortable with his protection, he tends to lock on early reads.

But the good thing is he hasn't lost confidence in Dorsett because after Dorsett dropped that 40 yarder, Brady went right back to him to get a first down.

Chatham actually said out loud what I was a bit too scared to say. Dorsett looks more elusive than Cooks.

This doesn't mean he is a better player than him or whatever but that if he develops the way we think he might over the next summer then we might have another decision to make with Cooks in a year.

I just don't know football strategy - is Cooks a WR you put into every package because his style just fits? I'm genuinely asking haha, I just thought it stood out.

Or am I reading the snap chart wrong? Why did I get a dislike and question mark for that post, I'm legitimately wondering haha. Am I getting something wrong here?

I for one RARELY use the "dislike" or "disagree" tabs. Sure this is just a message board but there is seldom a reason to attack someone's reputation.

To answer your actual question, injuries and overall ability factor into playing time. No?

On the most simple level he is the player that is a legitimate deep threat and stretches the field. This means you can use him on almost every passing play to clean out areas (since coverage will follow him) or as a proper receiving option.

Keeping him on the field also for running plays doesn't give away any hint to the opponents about what is to come.

Chatham actually said out loud what I was a bit too scared to say. Dorsett looks more elusive than Cooks.

This doesn't mean he is a better player than him or whatever but that if he develops the way we think he might over the next summer then we might have another decision to make with Cooks in a year.

I think they both work well together. Pairing them and splitting them out wide has stressed defenses in a way I haven't seen with any other personnel or packages.

My bet is that McD knows that this "elusiveness" exists- he knows that Dorsett is getting open, just not getting the looks, and McD is going to plan to use this to his advantage at some point in the playoffs by making Dorsett the first read, or primary playmaker because he'll have the third or fourth best CB on him.

I think they both work well together. Pairing them and splitting them out wide has stressed defenses in a way I haven't seen with any other personnel or packages.

My bet is that McD knows that this "elusiveness" exists- he knows that Dorsett is getting open, just not getting the looks, and McD is going to plan to use this to his advantage at some point in the playoffs by making Dorsett the first read, or primary playmaker because he'll have the third or fourth best CB on him.

I am not sure about the playoff part. With Hogan and potentially MM coming back I think it is far more likely that Dorsett ends up inactive (and Britt cut) but I would be intrigued if that was not the case. I would love to see 3-4 designed plays to Dorsett in each of the games.

That being said, I think he has the potential to be a cheap alternative for Cooks in a year in case he prices himself out of our range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST