PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NYJ @ NE . re-watch . thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
There is general attitude that this Jetes game is not worth re-watching going into playoffs. Even guys who like to put out clips are skipping this one. But there's one place that believes this film is as important as any . and that's Foxboro.

To me it is an interesting re-watch because the addition of Harrison and KVN changes dynamics of front line and opens new options esp. w further emergence of M.Flowers. There were some new D looks offered in the game etc.

I'll share some of my re-watch thoughts and hopefully some of you find it worthwhile to share yours as well .. or discuss..

But first - take a look at this amazing video . that shows progress the secondary made since that ugly month of September..

Perfect illustration of “being on the same page“.
I bet BB & MP are secretly LOVING this one.

___

Here some of my initial thoughts on this play from post game thread:

The story of Pats front 7 this year on this Lee safety. Players no one thought would play serious snaps this year here all making nice & orchestrated plays: M.Flowers faking edge rush and dropping to spy, A.Butler keeping 2 OL busy & moving QB from his spot, Wise setting the edge so QB has only one way to go, Lee legitimately 2-gapping (sending QB outside - see shot 2 where he hints covering inside) and shedding his blocker at the right time to embrace Petty..

(good coverage by secondary in the background)

Last edited:
Here nice Reiss article on 3rd down success employing 7-DB packages:

Patriots' success with 7-DB package on third down could be key in playoffs
____

quote:

The New England Patriots' defense made a major turnaround on third down in Sunday’s season finale, as the New York Jets were 0-for-12.

Of the 12 third downs, nine of them came with the team’s seven-defensive-back package on the field. That’s a smaller lineup, with three defensive linemen and one linebacker (Marquis Flowers). When a team goes that small, it potentially leaves itself vulnerable to the run, but ...

Primarily a special teamer in the first three years of his career, the 6-foot-3, 240-pound M.Flowers has been given more responsibility on defense, with the team tapping one of his primary assets -- speed -- in that seven-DB package. He was a significant part of the team’s third-down success on Sunday, leading the huddle in the seven-DB package. “I think one thing that he does, which is great in a lot of those situations, it becomes a much more opened-up game; there's more speed on the field offensively, and Marquis plays extremely fast,” Patricia said. “He hustles, he runs, he has really good speed, so it's something that kind of just fits his skill set really well.”

Looking closely at the newest Pat, James Harrison. Really has not lost a step. Here he is setting the edge, something that's lacked a bit.

The tackle play here is lacking but Harrsion took advantage.

Great retracing and recovery.

Curious to see if those wise men out there say about the use of 87 in this game... Did Brady even TRY to look for him? I know he had no targets, but was he even an option or simply a decoy every play...

Classic Harrison that we haven't had in quite some time.

Harrison Rip is one of his go to's bc of his strength.

The one that gets me excited is how James rushes 1/2 man to even the battle against a much bigger man in Beechum.

Harrison isn't a twitch monster & not the guy is was 6-7 years ago but he still has plenty left that directly fits a need here.

Great job by Lee staying clean & light on his feet. You won't win the physical, up close battle so stay clean and keep ur eyes on the QB.

Borderline hold on Butler? He loves that rip move. Looks like he gets ahead of himself here and isn't quite in sync with lower/upper body.

Reactions: ALP
Flowers crossing some face. Timed steps. So sweet. Textbook.

Thuney can process fast. Tech and play recogntion are there. Get some lbs on that body.

LBS are at Tom's mercy rn bc of Cooks & Gronk.

Push everything to the MOF to where we have bodies & hands or check down.

Been seeing this a lot lately. Brown has been very active. Great to see.

Last edited:
Not too familiar with the philosophy of snap counts regarding offense, but any reason why Cooks is far ahead of anyone else in snap count on offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes