PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE@OAK . re-watch . thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Ok, lets start with snap count as one basis for discussion.

The only development on O (apart from Karras seamlessly stepping in for Andrews) was further increase of the use of Dwayne Allen and corresponding decrease of Develin to his more standard %. Bennett also slightly up.

Bigger developments on D:
1. JJ snap count skyrocketed to his record 95%! And he certainly grabbed the opportunity. Huge development for 2018 as well.
2. Another riser for second week in a row is M.Flowers. He had impressive outing w forced fumble and PBU IIRC so hopefully we can find time to take a closer look at his last two games. Important re. speed hybrid option going forward.
3. Two other risers include new guys Ricky & Rilley . both showing solid presence on the line.
4. Surprising (hopefully not worrying) is decrease of Branch count esp. w Brown out.
5. The rise of M.Flowers keeps Richards on the margin. Of course some of it is about matchups but some trends are developing in last two weeks..

upload_2017-11-21_19-47-47.png

upload_2017-11-21_19-48-22.png

Last edited:
This is going to be a fun thread this week. Thanks for starting it.

Edited to update.

I have some things to discuss in mind and will try to post all-22 video as well.

1. A breakdown of Cook's long TD. Reamer posted a nice Baldinger video below.
2. Tom Brady skipping read progression and going straight to the last read. (Romo mentioned this during the broadcast)
That is GOAT level stuff. In fact I might just break from my hesitation of posting broadcast video to post Romo's explanation.

3. The Offensive line performance. Karras, Flemming, Waddle all did a great job. How they were assisted. Excetera.

If anyone wants to see a certain play or have an all-22 look at something please post it and maybe one of us can get it for you.

Last edited:
Here link to Lazar's advanced stats for those who care about numbers:
Patriots at Raiders advanced stats report: Tom Brady and Brandin Cooks were unstoppable

Interesting notes:
Nice to see Solder on top of great OL performance with clean sheet.
Karras was the boss.
E. Roberts allowed just 4 yds on 3 targets and added the helmet PBU;)
M.Flowers allowed 16yds on 5 targets and added FF (no PBU recorded here so we'll have to take another look).

So, depleted LB unit stepping up in coverage is one of the developments on D i am most interested and pleased about..

The broadcast included an all-22 angle on the Cooks TD. Karl Joseph comes down to the LOS to cover Dwayne Allen, leaving a single high safety. At the snap, Joseph and the LBs all drop into shallow zones. Gronk runs a seam route on the left side and probably would have caught a long gainer as the CB on that side stayed wide and the lone safety kept playing centerfield while the LBs let him go. Brady looked left initially likely to draw the safety over, but really wasted no time looking back right and throwing to Cooks. The rookie covering him did his best Gilmore-on-Hill week 1 impersonation, effectively covering nobody like the rest of his teammates.

If I'm a Raiders fan, this replay would piss me off. Seriously, nobody was covered, not just Cooks.

Regards,
Chris

This is going to be a fun thread this week. Thanks for starting it.

I have some things to discuss in mind and will try to post all-22 video as well.

1. A breakdown of Cook's long TD.
2. Tom Brady skipping read progression and going straight to the last read. (Romo mentioned this during the broadcast)
That is GOAT level stuff. In fact I might just break from my hesitation of posting broadcast video to post Romo's explanation.

3. The Offensive line performance. Karras, Flemming, Waddle all did a great job. How they were assisted. Excetera.

If anyone wants to see a certain play or have an all-22 look at something please post it and maybe one of us can get it for you.
Thanks Tony. I would be interested in understanding better how they are using Dorsett and how he is handling his responsibilities. With no touches, he was quiet on the broadcast. Also interested in RJF on the DL. Still looking for improvement against the run.

This was pretty neat. Nothing super in depth, but fun to watch:

That was great. Baldinger does a great job breaking down film.

The broadcast included an all-22 angle on the Cooks TD. Karl Joseph comes down to the LOS to cover Dwayne Allen, leaving a single high safety. At the snap, Joseph and the LBs all drop into shallow zones. Gronk runs a seam route on the left side and probably would have caught a long gainer as the CB on that side stayed wide and the lone safety kept playing centerfield while the LBs let him go. Brady looked left initially likely to draw the safety over, but really wasted no time looking back right and throwing to Cooks. The rookie covering him did his best Gilmore-on-Hill week 1 impersonation, effectively covering nobody like the rest of his teammates.

If I'm a Raiders fan, this replay would piss me off. Seriously, nobody was covered, not just Cooks.

Regards,
Chris

great write-up. just to add illustration

Thanks Tony. I would be interested in understanding better how they are using Dorsett and how he is handling his responsibilities. With no touches, he was quiet on the broadcast. Also interested in RJF on the DL. Still looking for improvement against the run.
agreed

his snap count tells me coaches think he is effective, even if not catching ball, want to know if film agrees

OK, the release of Marsh makes this request obvious. Can we see some more of the Raiders' running plays, please?

At first sight, I wondered whether it was just that Lynch is one heck of a player, but I noticed that Olawale was making a lot of yards too. Something to be concerned about for the future?

PFF graded Marquis Flowers tied as a top 3 LB in coverage in the last two weeks alongside Luke Kuechly, Deion Jones & Jatavis Brown.

Probably my #1 inquiry for this week’s rewatch is how he’s looking out there in an expanded role. Did we finally find a coverage LB? (and for peanuts too). Hopefully we re-sign him if he keeps his play up.

PFF graded Marquis Flowers tied as a top 3 LB in coverage in the last two weeks alongside Luke Kuechly, Deion Jones & Jatavis Brown.

Probably my #1 inquiry for this week’s rewatch is how he’s looking out there in an expanded role. Did we finally find a coverage LB? (and for peanuts too). Hopefully we re-sign him if he keeps his play up.

That's the plan for two weeks now but MF obviously decided he's waiting for nobody.. Both Reilly and M. Flowers had a couple of surprisingly good games. Harris plays smart and strong. Roberts improving in coverage. KVN huge in his OLB role.

The improvement of this heavily criticised and dismissed group is unsung story of Pats D turnaround. Hopefully Riley and MF can show consistency as well . they certainly look like they are in their own little zone now.

Just re-watched a bit searching for Marsh snaps and both guys were a pleasure to watch.. Hopefully we can add some “evidence“ later..

Last edited:
I ****ing loved the game plan for this past week. It was flat out manipulation, like jerking a marionette every time you felt like it. Open in no huddle, hurry up spread, and gas them before they even knew what hit them. It was funny to see Morrow and Obi waving in desperation to get subbed out to catch their breath. It's just unfair to what extend Josh/BB just outthink the opponent sometimes, especially a jackass like Del Rio who absolutely does not self-scout, at all (and therefore who never evolves) and I believe that the one week stay was not so much to acclimatize 100%, but just enough to outlast the Raiders long enough to put the game away, because we did start to run out of gas midway around the 3rd.

But in the meantime it looks like we then went to the short game until the Raiders ran out of patience and tried to take away the underneath zones, then we go to the deep game. When you rewatch the game, you can see Cooks do all those stop routes until they adjust, then go over the top where he devastates them.

Is it unfair? Absolutely, but that's what you get when you have in Del Rio, a coach who doesn't bother with self-scouting, so his tendencies are the same, year in, year out. I mean they're coming out of a bye and just making the exact same mental errors they're known for making.

Reminds me of the story I read about Bill Walsh. When he was on his deathbed and feeling sad, he used to say "How about them Raiders?" to anyone who knew football, and he would just start picking them apart, and end up laughing and feeling much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes