PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More full-time refs coming

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I don't like it.

First, I don't buy that full-time will improving reffing quality much. It's not like the "part-time" refs sit around twiddling their thumbs re: football.

Second, the full-timers will be completely under the thumb of the NFL since it'll be their primary source of income.

NFL Moving to Full-Time Officials

This would normally be a good thing, but since its now impossible to trust the league in any capacity I just look at this as another way they can try to gain control over games with full time refs in their back pockets

Goodell has created a huge layer of mistrust with this league

I really don't care since it's neither my time nor my money, but it won't solve a damn thing. All these people who have been clamoring for fill time refs for years now are going to be disappointed when the quality of officiating doesn't change in the slightest.

I don't like it.

First, I don't buy that full-time will improving reffing quality much. It's not like the "part-time" refs sit around twiddling their thumbs re: football.

Second, the full-timers will be completely under the thumb of the NFL since it'll be their primary source of income.

People who dedicate themselves to their craft tend to produce a far superior product to those who do it on the side. That said, the NFL FO corruption will seep into officiating regardless of whether the refs are full time or part time.

People who dedicate themselves to their craft tend to produce a far superior product to those who do it on the side.
You must not watch terribly much NBA Basketball. Worst officials in all of sports.

after watching Abe Vigoda tonight....again (what is it with this clown, does he have a Patriots only frickin' assignment or what?), I cannot wait for full time refs. I don't care if they're blind ,crippled and crawling...anybody is better than this shytbird that was heading things up out there last night.# 26 commits PI....Abe announces "pass interference on #47"...huh? 47 wasn't even on the field! A blind man. We had an old blind wino out ther head reffing tonight. No wonder the Goon was there undercover...musta just had to see if his plans are taking shape.

XtkIBlty.jpeg
abe-vigoda-3.jpg

Pete Vigoda?...Abe Morelli?.....

Trying to think why I would care about this, somehow F..face Goodell has an ulterior motive.. this cannot be for the good of the NFL.

You must not watch terribly much NBA Basketball. Worst officials in all of sports.
If you read the second sentence of my post you will see that I mentioned that corruption would inflict officiating whether the officials are full time or not. NBA corruption is far worse than NFL corruption... at least at this time. Given how corrupt the NFL offices are, it makes little difference.

That said, without said corruption, anyone who believes that those who do something on the side would produce even close to the quality of product of those who dedicate themselves to a craft have never truly dedicated themselves to a craft. Given how many people are passionate about sports, finding skillful professionals who would truly dedicate themselves to the craft of officiating at such a high level would be easy compared to most disciplines.

People who dedicate themselves to their craft tend to produce a far superior product to those who do it on the side. That said, the NFL FO corruption will seep into officiating regardless of whether the refs are full time or part time.
An interesting "wrinkle" to the new "full-time" officials deal with the NFL is that they will not be prohibited from working a second job. By definition, that would seem to eliminate them from being full-time.

An interesting "wrinkle" to the new "full-time" officials deal with the NFL is that they will not be prohibited from working a second job. By definition, that would seem to eliminate them from being full-time.
IMO, you can dedicate yourself to a craft and still do something on the side, but the reverse is seldom true. Even though there is an abundance of qualified candidates who would love to dedicate themselves to NFL officiating, the NFL would totally **** up the process and get a bunch of tools anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

IMO, you can dedicate yourself to a craft and still do something on the side, but the reverse is seldom true. Even though there is an abundance of qualified candidates who would love to dedicate themselves to NFL officiating, the NFL would totally **** up the process and get a bunch of tools anyway, so it really doesn't matter.
Yeah, I don't disagree with that. I just think the terminology is another attempt by a corrupt organization to deceive the public. I also think it will make little, if any, difference in the overall quality of the officiating.

If you read the second sentence of my post you will see that I mentioned that corruption would inflict officiating whether the officials are full time or not. NBA corruption is far worse than NFL corruption... at least at this time. Given how corrupt the NFL offices are, it makes little difference.
MLB umpires are atrocious too.

NFL refs are probably the best of the bunch but they also have the toughest job in that they get far more attention for missed calls (since it's the most popular sport and since each game means so much more than individual games in other sports) and also since so many calls are subjective, so you'll always have fans of one team whining no matter what.
That said, without said corruption, anyone who believes that those who do something on the side would produce even close to the quality of product of those who dedicate themselves to a craft have never truly dedicated themselves to a craft. Given how many people are passionate about sports, finding skillful professionals who would truly dedicate themselves to the craft of officiating at such a high level would be easy compared to most disciplines.
Problem is there is no way to practice being an NFL ref in an actual NFL game situation. Watching videos all April isn't going to help a guy catch that pass interference call in October.

To use your "craftsmanship" analogy, a man could dedicate his whole life to being the greatest glass blower on the planet but if he had no glass or fire at his disposal for 8 months out of the year, there's only so much he could do during that time period to improve his skills.

MLB umpires are atrocious too.

NFL refs are probably the best of the bunch but they also have the toughest job in that they get far more attention for missed calls (since it's the most popular sport and since each game means so much more than individual games in other sports) and also since so many calls are subjective, so you'll always have fans of one team whining no matter what.

Problem is there is no way to practice being an NFL ref in an actual NFL game situation. Watching videos all April isn't going to help a guy catch that pass interference call in October.

To use your "craftsmanship" analogy, a man could dedicate his whole life to being the greatest glass blower on the planet but if he had no glass or fire at his disposal for 8 months out of the year, there's only so much he could do during that time period to improve his skills.
It is true that real game action is the best way to hone skills, but the idea that film study and other methods can't significantly improve performance is absurd. If that were the case, every nation is history would have wasted vast amounts of resources training troops in non-combat situations.

Not sure why you'd assume that they couldn't simulate real game experience. Given the huge number of NFL hopefuls that don't make it every year, it wouldn't be difficult or expensive to have a practice league in the off-season. Not only could this small practice league (60-70 guys) have weekly "games" that the refs could officiate, they could also tailor many of their practice drills specifically for refs to officiate. This would have the added benefit of getting fringe guys reps and usable tape that could help both the players and the clubs that may be considering them.

If the NFL truly did want to do officiating well, full time officials would be a critical component of it, but certainly not the only component.

The "part-time" refs have significant non-NFL income and so aren't as vulnerable to NFL pressure. When refs are full-time and get most of their income from the NFL they will knuckle under to anything the NFL asks.

It is true that real game action is the best way to hone skills, but the idea that film study and other methods can't significantly improve performance is absurd. If that were the case, every nation is history would have wasted vast amounts of resources training troops in non-combat situations.
Uh, are you honestly comparing refereeing a football game to fighting a war?
Not sure why you'd assume that they couldn't simulate real game experience. Given the huge number of NFL hopefuls that don't make it every year, it wouldn't be difficult or expensive to have a practice league in the off-season.
This is silly. The difference between NFL players and "NFL hopefuls" is HUGE. There is no comparison.

The "part-time" refs have significant non-NFL income and so aren't as vulnerable to NFL pressure. When refs are full-time and get most of their income from the NFL they will knuckle under to anything the NFL asks.
Looks like you're still confusing the issue of full vs part time with NFL corruption and competence. Until the NFL cleans up and is truly focused on providing the best product possible, whether the refs are full or part time makes no difference.

That said, if they NFL truly desired fair, skillful refs, I would be all for long-term poor performance to result in termination. There are many passionate, qualified candidates that could do an excellent job if given the proper resources and support. Sadly, the NFL would have to change dramatically to ever provide such an environment.

Uh, are you honestly comparing refereeing a football game to fighting a war?
This is silly. The difference between NFL players and "NFL hopefuls" is HUGE. There is no comparison.
The only comparison between fighting and officiating was about the effect of "on-the-job" training on performance. The comparison is apt, and is obvious to any who isn't grasping at straws.

The difference between the guys cut in camp and the ones who aren't isn't nearly so large as you imagine. Even if the difference in skill is as large as you say, the effect it would have on training refs would be negligible.

The quality of straws to which you are grasping is deteriorating quickly. I recommend trying to look at this with the intent of understanding rather than trying to attack the aesthetics of the opposing viewpoint to justify your original position.

Double post - apologies

The only comparison between fighting and officiating was about the effect of "on-the-job" training on performance. The comparison is apt, and is obvious to any who isn't grasping at straws.
LOL!! You compared training for being an NFL referee to training for combat, but *I'm* the one grasping at straws??? LOLOL!!!

Bottom line is this (and this will be my last comment on the matter): No matter how many ridiculous, inane analogies you come up with, having X full time refs is not going to improve the quality of officiating in the NFL. Other sports have full time refs/umps and their officiating is still atrocious. Prepare to be disappointed.

I don't like it.

I wholeheartedly agree with your point that having full time refs is not going to improve the quality of their efforts. On the other hand I don't think having them is going to make it any worse. If the league replaces officials with full time guys as they retire, then I'm fine with it.

Although having the refs "under the thumb" of the league is ALWAYS going to be a concern if you are a fan of the Patriots, but my biggest worry is losing the relatively good and experienced guys all at once.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back