PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts: the stretch run edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, the refs yesterday were terrible. They should not be allowed to take the field again without some major re-training. Calling ticky-tack things at the beginning of the game was totally ruining it. Then they'd call some borderline things, but let other obvious fouls go. No rhyme or reason; no flow to the game, particularly in the 1st half. Pats won in spite of the refs.

Interesting, because he could have just blown the question off. Wonder what messages Bill is looking to send with that. To his own team at least, certainly.
LOL, I think he's saying, "be good to us when you run into us during the playoffs. I scratched your back, now you scratch mine," or words to that effect. Easy to say this when we won the game, but cripes. That OPI on Jules? Really?

Interesting how Bowles accepted the penalty and gave the Pats a third and twelve and then the Pats scored. Bowles said he knew the Pats would go for it on 4th and 2 and 3rd and 12 was better odds. Bellichick said we probably would have kicked the FG. Also Burkhead is back! The team just got stronger.

d) At least once v. TEN, Brady tried to throw while falling backwards with pressure in his face from two free rushers. Yesterday, it appeared that he was deliberately throwing wide to White on at least two occasions to avoid a pick-six from tight coverage.
Maybe...and I know it was cross the body...but I think Brady used to make those tight throws into the dirt a bit "closer"...

e) The major improvement in Hollister's blocking this season is that, last year, he didn't even know who to hold.
I laughed.

1. That was the worst officiated game since the last time we played Carolina. The two holding penalties on Brown were ridiculous by today's standards. One he barely touched the guy. The White pick was also awful. He was actually within the one yard limit of the LOS where blocking is allowed and then all he did was square up. My god the Rams/Chiefs game the receivers were blocking 10 yards downfield and they weren't calling OPIs.

2. JE11 is one tough bastard. I thought he might have separated his shoulder or broken his collarbone on that one. This Patriots team is thin after the first layer. They cannot afford injuries.

3. Having the OL back intact made a huge difference. If Wynn hadn't gotten hurt and was at LG this line when healthy could be dominant. Is it something in the way Andrews plays or what I'm not sure but it seems like every week a defender is trying to twist his neck off.

4. 90% of Gronk still GOAT-LIKE. Just so impactful in both the running and passing games. He better be first ballot HOF or it's pure BS. I'm sure Gonzalez will have better volume stats at the end still but he couldn't block a cornerback and at their peaks Gronk blows him away as a receiver as well.

5. Gilmore and Gordon had their heads screwed back on right again. They cannot have mental lapse games again. Whatever it takes to keep them playing at a pro-bowl level and not like the Titanic fail of two weeks ago.

6. People have complained about McCourty and Chung but to me they've been the glue and have played terrific again this year.

7. Looking ahead to teams who could and could not knockout the Chiefs if they hold onto the #1 seed.

Cannot: Bengals, Colts.
1/100: Ravens, Titans, Texans.
Maybe: Chargers - They've lost 9 straight games to the Chiefs including earlier this year in LA. The funny thing about the streak is the Chargers have played them tougher overall in KC than at home. The Chargers have the talent to get it done but they're the Chargers.

Denver - They've lost 7 in a row but most of them have been really close including this year losing by 4 and 7. Denver at 5-6 has losses to KC as previous mention plus 3 point to the Rams and 2 points to the Texans. They've also beaten Pittsburgh and the Chargers in the past two weeks. They have remaining @Cinn, @SF, Cleveland, @Oak and LAC left. I think worst case they go 4-1 in their last 5 and they could run the table. I think their chances on the 6 seed are pretty good.

Really good shot: Pitt almost pulled it off earlier this year when they were playing like crap and they've gone into KC in the past and beaten them in both the regular season and playoffs.

8. KC has 3 loseable games left. Baltimore, LA and @Seattle. I think all three need TO assistance to get it done.

9. It's funny but I don't think Houston has the makings to beat most of the other contenders but because of the mobile QB I absolutely hate the matchup for the Patriots. I'd much rather play the Steelers or Chargers who are better teams. KC is still the team I'd like to see the least.

10. Big Chargers fan this coming weekend as I am every weekend against whoever is playing the Steelers.

Great post, but you are sleeping on Houston. Sure, they haven't beaten anyone of any significance yet....but DeSahun Watson, J.J. Watt, Hopkins, and Clowney all are capable of turning a game at any time, IMO.

Interesting, because he could have just blown the question off. Wonder what messages Bill is looking to send with that. To his own team at least, certainly.

The message to his team is that Belichick previously told them these refs throw flags like crazy, but the team still didn't listen.

Interesting how Bowles accepted the penalty and gave the Pats a third and twelve and then the Pats scored. Bowles said he knew the Pats would go for it on 4th and 2 and 3rd and 12 was better odds. Bellichick said we probably would have kicked the FG. Also Burkhead is back! The team just got stronger.

You take that penalty if you’re going against Blake bortles, not Tom Brady. Terrible call

Great post, but you are sleeping on Houston. Sure, they haven't beaten anyone of any significance yet....but DeSahun Watson, J.J. Watt, Hopkins, and Clowney all are capable of turning a game at any time, IMO.
They can easily be what the Jags were last season in terms of going far in the postseason. Obviously, there are different strengths and weaknesses compared to the ‘17 Jags, but they can probably win a couple of postseason games.

The Pats as they look right now are not a team I'm exactly confident in. They can get better by playoff time but it has taken a while, longer than usual for them to figure it out and start playing complete games.

That being said I would obviously not count them out. They can beat any of the AFC teams and get to the Super Bowl but this isn't a team that I'd pencil in to go to the AFCCG.

The Pats as they look right now are not a team I'm exactly confident in. They can get better by playoff time but it has taken a while, longer than usual for them to figure it out and start playing complete games.

That being said I would obviously not count them out. They can beat any of the AFC teams and get to the Super Bowl but this isn't a team that I'd pencil in to go to the AFCCG.

If Gronk can stay healthy and they have a legitimate running game, they are still a very tough out. I’m fully expecting an AFCCG appearance. There’s still plenty of time to grow, but like you said, the fact that they’ve been a bit erratic is a concern, especially with some of the other top level teams that will be in the mix.

I know that we’re not supposed to pay attention to teams like Houston and San Diego, but they probably have the capacity to steal a game or two. Any way you look at it, the Pats have their work cut out for them. The area that I’m most positive and excited for is the running game. If they can run the ball successfully, they may have a balanced team that’s hard to stop, especially if Gronk can turn it on down the stretch.

For only the third game all year we had a full cast, Gronk, Edelman, Michel, Mason if we can avoid injuries to the major players I'll feel a lot better heading into the playoffs, course being 1 or 2 seed would help a great deal

Obi played. JC played. Dawson was inactive. Not a coincidence. Obi just joined the team. Dawson caught the flu going around? Dawson is still not 100%? Something is up. The Pats brought him back from IR to place him on the inactive list?

The play I saw Obi covered the running back. After the Titans shut down White maybe we are copying them. :)

If Gronk can stay healthy and they have a legitimate running game, they are still a very tough out. I’m fully expecting an AFCCG appearance. There’s still plenty of time to grow, but like you said, the fact that they’ve been a bit erratic is a concern, especially with some of the other top level teams that will be in the mix.

I know that we’re not supposed to pay attention to teams like Houston and San Diego, but they probably have the capacity to steal a game or two. Any way you look at it, the Pats have their work cut out for them. The area that I’m most positive and excited for is the running game. If they can run the ball successfully, they may have a balanced team that’s hard to stop, especially if Gronk can turn it on down the stretch.
Gronk is the x-factor. If he returns to the Gronk of seasons past, we are in business. If not it's much more of an uphill climb for this offense.

I don't know about that.. from watching them last night, their overaggressive defense is still overaggressive- it's still easy to exploit it. Clowney keeps losing contain- I don't know if he's doing it because he's a one-trick pony or it's part of the scheme (unlikely).

I think that we should consider the amount of reps in the context of THIS season. Perhaps the coaches wanted to give additional reps to Jackson to have him more experienced by playoff time.
====
With regard to free agency, J Jones is an RFA. The team would be fine with a 1st instead of Jones, or perhaps even a 2nd. I expect him to be extended before the new season begins.

More of an issue for the offseason is Jason McCourty. I'm sure he wants to stay, but he is an unrestricted free agent.

b.) I found it interesting that JC Jackson was in for Jonathan Jones late in the game yesterday given J.Jones' impending FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes