NFL hiring 17 Full-Time Refs next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogansArmy

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Troy Vincent: NFL planning to hire 17 full-time officials

Didn't see this posted anywhere, please merge if it was:
Troy Vincent, the league's vice president of football operations, told The Associated Press on Thursday that he expects the NFL to hire as many as 17 full-time officials this offseason.

The additions are allowed under the collective bargaining agreement and would increase the size of officiating crews from seven to eight, Vincent said during a visit to Buffalo.

Vincent said, the league is already receiving input from coaches, general managers and owners. And, he said, hiring full-time officials and discussions to expand replay reviews top the agenda

And of course since its the NFL, they gotta state some BS stat:
Citing NFL statistics, Vincent noted the league's current officials have an accuracy rate of more than 97 percent. It's only during those few occasions where a gaffe is magnified, he said, that they get so much attention.

Full time refs and expanded review... perhaps the NFL is finally starting to get the message.

I know one @Deus Irae around here who will not see a point to this..

That's not going to help when the NYJFL* is calling it in. Just another PR job to try to claw the ratings back in.

Roger's new job title:

titanic.jpg

I never thought full time refs were important. Will that help their eyes when they are looking at an obvious call? I don't think so. Cosmetic improvement.

It may not help with the accuracy, but in theory it could help with speed and consistency, both of which are good things. Speed because they may know the rule book better, which will limit game conferencing time. Consistency due to more training during the week.

Not sure why many seem to be down or nonchalant about this change, haven't most fans been asking for full time refs for years? And expanded review as well? I know I have.

And now the NFL decides to do that and people seem to think its a PR stunt... I get hating the NFL offices, I hate them too, but if (it looks like) they're trying to do the right thing, I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Useless and stupid

In other words, typical of the NFL in recent years

When I look at the beating Newton has taken this year and how few times the refs have thrown the flag, I have to think that anything the nfl can do to make sure the game is enforsed fairly would be a welcome site,

Finally. So obvious. Yet they've continued to treat it like it was still a 1950 weekend warrior league. Until today. Welcome to 1970, nfl.

I can't believe a disagree on this Capt Obvious remark. Millions ride on a well-called, fast-moving game. Why let part-timers do this for so long?

Because full-timers won't make a difference, and you'll actually be at risk of losing your best officials.

Because full-timers won't make a difference, and you'll actually be at risk of losing your best officials.

I have an open mind on this. My reasoning is simply people pay for what they think is important. If the NFL is paying employees part-time at nothing like the players they are officiating, this generally does not support the best refs. Yes, I could be missing something and will be happy to hear it.

Branch suspension overturned, no more 9am games and full time refs.

Whoa, three decisions from the NFL in a row I actually like

I have an open mind on this. My reasoning is simply people pay for what they think is important. If the NFL is paying employees part-time at nothing like the players they are officiating, this generally does not support the best refs. Yes, I could be missing something and will be happy to hear it.

1. You don't need full time refs for a part time sport
  2. Full time refs don't solve the problems of ****ty officiating (See NBA, NHL, MLB)
  3. By forcing refs to work full time, you'll be forcing decisions upon people who could otherwise make money elsewhere during the offseason.
  4. Anyone who's officiated can tell you that, once you know the rules, the rest is just getting up to speed and then applying them, and that's not going to get better after a threshhold is reached.

Instead of wasting time on nonsense like requiring full time officials, the NFL should be focusing on things like VR/simulation training.

1. You don't need full time refs for a part time sport
  2. Full time refs don't solve the problems of ****ty officiating (See NBA, NHL, MLB)
  3. By forcing refs to work full time, you'll be forcing decisions upon people who could otherwise make money elsewhere during the offseason.
  4. Anyone who's officiated can tell you that, once you know the rules, the rest is just getting up to speed and then applying them, and that's not going to get better after a threshhold is reached.
Instead of wasting time on nonsense like requiring full time officials, the NFL should be focusing on things like VR/simulation training.

5. Read The Official League Shill's piece on MMQB from two or three years ago. The refs spend a lot of time reviewing tape, etc. during the week. It's not like they finish a game, **** around with other things, show up Saturday night, and ref the game on Sunday. Yeah, technically they are part-time, but not really, not during the season.

Full time refs are going to do a damned thing to stop the errors we see on a week to week basis. If they want to do that, they need to scale the rules changes back. For example, a ball that touches the ground needs to be ruled incomplete. Another good change would be to scale back the PI/defensive holding/illegal contact penalties.

Have you SEEN Pete Morelli and his crew work this season? They can hire ten million new "refs', Goodell will still have his "fixer" work 4 or 5 Pats games a season, making ridiculous attempts at game changing while muttering profanities on camera to the Pats sideline...oh wait, that's Tony Corrente that swears at Patriots players and coaches...my mistake.

What the **** is the difference? I wouldn't trust either one of these mutts with 10 friggin' cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back