PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McDaniels back in the running for the Browns' HC job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL is a performance based business.

The lack of scoring in every post season loss is a common theme.

Look at who we had on offense, pretty amazing they ended up top 5 in scoring. McDaniels is not void of any blame. But, he definitely wasn't the only problem Sunday. An OC can have a perfect gameplan but, if the players don't execute there's not much he can do. McDaniels can't make Brady complete that deep pass to Edelman or make Slater catch that pass. I think they should have gone hurry up the entire game once it became clear the run game wasn't happening.

Even more common is a drastic reduction in takeaways by the D.

Same problem with Bill O'Brien in losses
14,21,17= avg 17ppg

McDaniels losses
13,34,14,13,16 18ppg

I personally don't think McDaniel's is head coaching material. I still remember when they beat us when he was Denver's head coach and they beat us and like a child he's going nuts after the game giving fist pumps to each area of the crowd. I believe the coach has to be professional and the set the tone, which is another reason why I love BB. Players take on the coaches personality and when they fall they fall hard because their players become undisciplined.

Saying that San Fran/Seattle have crazy coaches. I actually think Harbaugh is professional with his team, his behaviour on the sidelines is outrageous in my opinion. Pete Carrol, I have no respect for him after watching him coach us in the 90s. A lot of the fans here are bandwagon jumpers and don't remember the Carrol days. Nor do they remember legends like Tippet.

Same problem with Bill O'Brien in losses
14,21,17= avg 17ppg

McDaniels losses
13,34,14,13,16 18ppg

Time to move on from McDaniels then and get somebody in to break this streak of losing. Just making the post season with a HOF QB and HC isnt good enough.

Since 2004 Championship

05 lost Div round
06 lost AFCC
07 lost Super Bowl
09 lost WC round
10 lost Div round
11 lost Super Bowl
12 lost AFCC
13 lost AFCC

Even more common is a drastic reduction in takeaways by the D.

The defense kept the Pats in the game without its best CB.

The Broncos were held to FGs on 4 drives.

Brady becomes the player/OC

Then everyone on this board would hate him. No one is hated more by fans than the offensive coordinator.

From the CBS affiliate in Cleveland:

"The Browns met with him (Pettine) for 4 hours in Mobile Ala. Tuesday (1-21-2014) night before traveling to Florida Wednesday (1-22-2014) to kick the tires of former Rutgers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano.

The team also spoke this week with Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who withdrew from consideration on Jan. 8.

Schiano or McDaniels are not in the mix to be the next head coach of the Browns league sources told 92.3 The Fan."

My sources tell me that after Joe Banner, Mike Lombardi and owner Jimmy Haslam announce their new head coach, they plan on celebrating by seeing how many clowns they can stuff into the car.

Sounds like McDaniels being "back in the running" consisted of the Browns asking him one more time and him saying no again. So says Breer anyway.

Time to move on from McDaniels then and get somebody in to break this streak of losing. Just making the post season with a HOF QB and HC isnt good enough.

Since 2004 Championship

05 lost Div round
06 lost AFCC
07 lost Super Bowl
09 lost WC round
10 lost Div round
11 lost Super Bowl
12 lost AFCC
13 lost AFCC

Well 3 of those McDaniels was not play caller or OC. Also how about the players on the offense start making plays. It is not just the OC.

Since 2004 Championship

05 lost Div round
06 lost AFCC
07 lost Super Bowl
09 lost WC round
10 lost Div round
11 lost Super Bowl
12 lost AFCC
13 lost AFCC

Yeah how dare he only helps us come in 2nd and 3rd twice

Bunch of ricky bobbys up in this forum.

ricky-bobby-if-you-aint-first.jpg

https://twitter.com/tonygrossi/status/426203731458146304

We've already heard just about everything that could possibly come out of the Browns' HC search, so this shouldn't be terribly surprising. He supposedly pulled his name out when he learned he wasn't the #1 choice, so it makes sense that he'd be interested again if he now is.

But my biggest question: Would he want to take any current Pats coaches with him? If he leaves, that already three offensive coaches gone, and if anybody goes with him, that'd be more. My best guess is that Daboll would be the replacement OC, but O'Shea could follow McDaniels for an OC job of his own, for example.

I highly doubt that he would take anybody with him. That was the root of the BB-Ratgini feud. Mangini tried to take a few coaches with him. He went behind BB's back and was offering Jet jobs to Pats coaches.

If he does want to elevate someone to say a coordinator job, he has to clear it with BB first.

Hopefully, after reviewing the AFCC film BB told McDaniels its time to find another employer.

BB has given the boot other under performing Coordinators like Pees and Seely.

And the irony train keeps rolling on. How's that armchair?

Pettine hire is official. Sounds like the Browns wanted McDaniels, but he didn't want them.

I don't think that Belichick can stop a coach from taking a promotion elsewhere. Please correct me, and make me feel better if I am wrong. :)

In the extreme, Josh could offer Patricia an Assistant Coach position, and two of the position coaches coordinators positions, and lower level coaches positions as position coaches.

I highly doubt that he would take anybody with him. That was the root of the BB-Ratgini feud. Mangini tried to take a few coaches with him. He went behind BB's back and was offering Jet jobs to Pats coaches.

If he does want to elevate someone to say a coordinator job, he has to clear it with BB first.

I don't think that Belichick can stop a coach from taking a promotion elsewhere. Please correct me, and make me feel better if I am wrong. :)

In the extreme, Josh could offer Patricia an Assistant Coach position, and two of the position coaches coordinators positions, and lower level coaches positions as position coaches.

IIRC, The Team can refuse another team's request to talk with a coach while under contract. The only exception, I believe, is after the season is over for that team, and IF the position being considered/offered is higher than the one currently working at.

Also, IIRC, Mangini was still under contract with New England when he began approaching other Patriots coaches about positions with the JETS. I might be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

If Mangini had simply waited until he was hired by the Jets, there would have been less of an issue. I am convinced that his behind-the-back dealings were a prime reason he had a cameo appearance on "The Sopranos". :cool:

And the irony train keeps rolling on. How's that armchair?
Nonexistent, like your grasp of the Pats salary cap.

Remember all the money that Mike Jenkins and Donald Jones cost the Pats? Well, McDaniels wanted them. :p

Teams can block their coaches from interviewing for any non-head coach position. So when McDaniels wanted to interview for the Browns' HC job, Belichick couldn't do anything. If McDaniels would have gotten the job and wanted to hire Daboll or O'Shea as the OC, then the Pats could block it even though it's a promotion. I believe that the Pats could even block Patricia from an assistant head coach and DC job. The only guy they wouldn't be able to block is the HC.

Now, the question is whether Belichick would have blocked those guys from leaving. I don't know what the answer to that is. If it were a matter of losing almost everybody in one offseason, then he'd probably be more likely to block at least some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back