Offense Struggling or Defense Too Good?
The Patriots conducted their eighth practice of training camp This one was in shorts and shells with no contact.
Attendance – Julian Edelman and Yodny Cajuste remain on NFI, Demaryius Thomas is still on PUP along with Nate Ebner and Ken Webster. In addition, Lance Kendricks was absent while Rex Burkhead was limited. Edelman, Webster, and Ebner were on the field for the beginning of practice.
As we’ve seen recently, the kickers also retreated down to the lower practice field where you can’t see much of anything. But we will say, someone’s chipping should be improving….
The intensity was scaled back today as the team was working on individual drills and some situational work early. Later the punters returned and each had turns trying to pin the receiving team deep along the sideline…more below.
The offense has scuffled along the past few days and Friday wasn’t an exception. Tom Brady was getting frustrated, his voice was carrying over the field as he exhorted the troops. Is it the case of the offense not playing well or just that the defense is looking locked in and ready for the regular season? The chicken or the egg?
Our other observations included:
- Jakobi Meyers got some reps with the first team this morning as Harry was taking them with the second unit and Brian Hoyer. Later in the session, Harry moved back up in with the first unit.
- Sony Michel continues to get a lot of looks in the passing game. During the early 7-on-7 work, Brady went in Michel’s direction twice in the first four snaps.
- Isaiah Wynn took the early snaps with the first unit of the offense which is a positive sign for him. When the team later went to 11-on-11 drills, Dan Skipper “the Weatherman” took over.
- Brady worked early with the running backs in passing drills while Jarrett Stidham worked with Braxton Berrios, Ben Watson, Maurice Harris, and Matt LaCosse.
- Berrios continues to be taken to school by Jonathan Jones, who is blanketing him in coverage. Berrios can’t get separation and the 2nd yr WR is getting increasingly frustrated.
- Jones swatted away a pass intended for Berrios as he was trying to come across the middle and Brady tried to force it in there.
- The secondary as a whole has been outstanding. On the second snap of 7-on-7s, Brady had no one open, scrambled to his right and still no one was able to shake free. He then tucked the ball away as if to run….outstanding coverage.
- Brandon Bolden made a nice leaping grab from Brady during 7’s. Bolden ran a wheel route down the right sideline and Brady delivered a nice ball where Bolden jumped up high to bring it down.
- The punters returned to the field with Jake Bailey getting the first reps as the drill was designed to pin the opposition deep along the sideline. His first punt wasn’t very deep but he got a nice roll and it was not returnable. His second punt was much better with distance and great hang time.
- Ryan Allen’s last two punts were not good ones. The first he shanked it short, the second was short as well with little hang time and was returnable.
- Jamie Collins picked off a Hail Mary pass.
- JC Jackson continues to play at a high level and is having a very impressive training camp thus far
The Patriots are off on Saturday and Sunday is a travel day as the team will stop off in Canton, OH for a stop at the Pro Football Hall of Fame. On Monday – Wednesday the team will conduct joint practices with the Detroit Lions, before their preseason game on Thursday night.
The team probably won’t return to Gillette until next Saturday.
Follow me on Twitter @SteveB7SFG or email me at [email protected]