PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Mariota

This is the Patriots.
This is Mariota.
These are the Patriots with Mariota.

20210218_123119.jpg

Any questions?
Just Say NO

so, wentz went for a 3rd and a 2nd. Think this means Mariotta is worth a 4th and a 5th

If we do decide this year to repeat last year's experiment of fielding a team which lacks an actual NFL quarterback, Mariota likely has what it takes to match Cam's world-class incompetence.

Not quite. Brissett still has mid range accuracy. He can't throw it downfield with any accuracy but he can hit a target in the all important 15-25 yard range without getting picked off. Cam couldn't even do that.

Brissett is distincly better than Cam.

But then virtually anyone is distinctly better than Cam.

As with most of our viable options, in all honesty, Brissett could serve as a temporary, inadequate placeholder, nothing more. Is that really good enough?

I am beginning to think we can EITHER address our qb situation by drafting or trading for an actually promising player OR concentrate on filling the many gaps left by Bill's drafting/trading incompetence. I am inclining more to the latter. That way the fanboy delusionists here can have another year waxing passionate about what a nice guy Cam is as he stumbles around in the backfield and launches balls randomly skyward.

If we keep sitting we won’t really get anyone.

so, this article is saying that the interest in Mariota via trade has waned and he might just be a cap casualty. Guess that contract is whats scaring teams away.

Wish list
Watson
Jimmy G
Mariota
Trubisky

so, this article is saying that the interest in Mariota via trade has waned and he might just be a cap casualty. Guess that contract is whats scaring teams away.
It’s like playing chicken
Throw them a 5th or 6th and be done with it.

Wish list
Watson
Jimmy G
Mariota
Trubisky

It’s like playing chicken
Throw them a 5th or 6th and be done with it.

yeah, I don't see the harm. I guess the problem with his contract is if he plays in 12 games he gets $18million. that goes to $20million based on winning percentage. But teams are leary of paying him $18million if he ends up being bad.

I still hope Jimmy G somehow becomes free.

I think Bill's probably waiting for the free agency period to start...We weren't really serious players in any of these trades anyway...
Cousin, There is a serious flaw in that. We better be pro-active players on some talent prior to FA.
There is a legitimate factor in who the Pats have ay starting QB as it pertains to talent acquisition. Why would any FA who hopes to go to a Team with a legitimate chance to succeed, be waiting on who the QB is from the Vets available that could make a difference or weather we commit to an unproven rookie. If that was BB's past M.O. he needs to change quickly.
I am vehemently opposed to that idea. If you were a Ertz or OBJ (if they get cut) or someone we could use, would you say if them..'O.K. they got Stidham, I'm all in'.?

This happened last year. The Mexican hat dance started spinning and we would up with Cam......as a last resort because, well we are the Patriots and who would not want us, We lost out on Teddy, Mariota, Kyle Allen, Foles, Chase Daniels and to a lesser extent Winston, Dalton even Flaco might have had better QB stats than Cam. Maybe even Rivers.OK, not murders row but could we have gotten more pure QB production?

What the hell would BB be waiting for now? The Colts and Rams did not wait.

He needs more FA people to buy into his QB choice.
DW Toys

Cousin, There is a serious flaw in that. We better be pro-active players on some talent prior to FA.
There is a legitimate factor in who the Pats have ay starting QB as it pertains to talent acquisition. Why would any FA who hopes to go to a Team with a legitimate chance to succeed, be waiting on who the QB is from the Vets available that could make a difference or weather we commit to an unproven rookie. If that was BB's past M.O. he needs to change quickly.
I am vehemently opposed to that idea. If you were a Ertz or OBJ (if they get cut) or someone we could use, would you say if them..'O.K. they got Stidham, I'm all in'.?

This happened last year. The Mexican hat dance started spinning and we would up with Cam......as a last resort because, well we are the Patriots and who would not want us, We lost out on Teddy, Mariota, Kyle Allen, Foles, Chase Daniels and to a lesser extent Winston, Dalton even Flaco might have had better QB stats than Cam. Maybe even Rivers.OK, not murders row but could we have gotten more pure QB production?

What the hell would BB be waiting for now? The Colts and Rams did not wait.

He needs more FA people to buy into his QB choice.
DW Toys
You can sell Marcus Mariota to free agents easier than Jarrett Stidham

yeah, I don't see the harm. I guess the problem with his contract is if he plays in 12 games he gets $18million. that goes to $20million based on winning percentage. But teams are leary of paying him $18million if he ends up being bad.

I still hope Jimmy G somehow becomes free.
If he’s bad will he start 12 games? If he’s good enough to start 12 games it’s probably worth $10m this year and $8m to $10m next year since that figure has to be NLTBE. If he’s pretty good he will just get extended anyway and that extra money isn’t that important.

One game as a backup with low expectations doesn't discount the previous few years worth of play since his leg break, where at best he was streaky and inconsistent, and at worst he was panicky in the pocket, indecisive, scared to take a hit and couldn't throw accurately pass 20 yards.

Signing Marcus would seriously depress me. He has the physical tools, but has no heart. I think he'd make a quality backup, definitely better than Stidham, but he would be expensive.

Why would you want Mariotta when he couldn't perform with one of the best running attacks in the league.

yep

I see Mariotta as a guy who is afraid to lose (make mistakes). That might be the single biggest problem an NFL QB could have. Hard to build consistency or leadership. Hard to coach up. The fact that he can look pretty wo pressure doesn't help. (then again many QBs out there suffer similar.)

He was benched to Tannehill by Vrabel. Id be surprised this would be BB pick.

If BB cant get longer term solution this FA Id prefer Draft + “flawed“ fighters, or “limited“ quiet leaders/game managers, or reclamation projects
(incl Darnold if BB feels he has enough mental toughness & gets some positives by Hardegree )

Last edited:
Not trading for Mariota unless more players are involved AND the compensation is only a Day 3 draft pick...a Late Day-3 pick...
Then who is your qb?

yep

I see Mariotta as a guy who is afraid to lose (make mistakes). That might be the single biggest problem an NFL QB could have. Hard to build consistency or leadership. Hard to coach up. The fact that he can look pretty wo pressure doesn't help. (then again many QBs out there suffer similar.)

He was benched to Tannehill by Vrabel. Id be surprised this would be BB pick.

If BB cant get longer term solution this FA Id prefer Draft + “flawed“ fighters, or “limited“ quiet leaders/game managers, or reclamation projects (incl Darnold if BB feels he has enough mental toughness & gets some positives by Hardegree )

Mariota is much better than Darnold.

Mariota needs good coaching. He has the tools, he needs to become disciplined in a structured system. He will do well here.

Again, you are just retroactively applying what he has been in the last decade+ to what he was in his first few years. And this conversation is going in circles because you don't seem to realize that. He was not an elite player in his first couple of years no matter how much your narrative wants it to be true. He grew into that player from 2001 to 2006. The numbers show it and the way BB constructed the team around him shows it.

That is your opinion because you are clearly an outcome-centric person. I don't give a **** about the results of games at all when it comes to evaluating players or decisions. Outcomes have not much to do with how to evaluate the performance of someone.

This is not tennis or chess, but a sport with a crazy level of randomness and uncertainty to it where the smallest things like a coach deciding on a play late can lead to a RB being late on the field, not finding his protection assignment and giving up a strip sack to end a team's season. Or an opponent lining up randomly in the neutral zone far from the playside and overturning a potential season ending pick.

But whatever you are just talking in circles.
The only reason to play is the outcome.

No hope for this season. Maybe build a stellar defense and draft two project quarterbacks . Let them fight it out with a veteran or stidham.

No WR or TE worth his salt is gonna touch us . I don't think garopollo would come in here. Our options are fitzy/mariotta / minshew/ stidham.

Only rookie offensive weapons would come here. Trade down in first round to get additional picks in second round and draft two wide receivers in second round and defensive playmaker in first round .

If We are not sold on mac jones and he is available at 15, we could get kings ransom for that pick from someone else .

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back