PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Mariota

RIpats88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Don't see too many people mention him as an option. But he looked pretty good in one game for the raiders.

Has legs like cam newton but has a better arm and is younger. And shouldn't be too expensive. If he works out with the Patriots could be a decent bridge while they draft a guy

Honestly haven't heard much news about him at all.

I’ve seen him brought up I’ve been banging that Drum.
Problem is Raiders like him too.
If only we had the cap last year to make a competitive offer

I'd almost rather see Brissett. Mariota is that guy who can do a little of everything but is elite at nothing. At least if you get Brissett you know what style we're going to try to play -- defensive, grinding, run to setup the throw. Because Mariota is a jack of all trades master of none, it's going to be tempting to put the game on him too much and blow him up, just like happened when he was with the Titans..

Don't see too many people mention him as an option. But he looked pretty good in one game for the raiders.

Has legs like cam newton but has a better arm and is younger. And shouldn't be too expensive. If he works out with the Patriots could be a decent bridge while they draft a guy

Honestly haven't heard much news about him at all.
I wonder what the MM narrative would be today if the Chargers DBs had secured more of his errant passes that clanged off their hands that game

I'd almost rather see Brissett. Mariota is that guy who can do a little of everything but is elite at nothing. At least if you get Brissett you know what style we're going to try to play -- defensive, grinding, run to setup the throw. Because Mariota is a jack of all trades master of none, it's going to be tempting to put the game on him too much and blow him up, just like happened when he was with the Titans..
If we're going down another stopgap route Brissett would be top of my list. I'm surprised he isn't mentioned more but I'm assuming that's cause we can't just sign him as a FA can we? We'd need to compensate the Colts? Or have I got that wrong..

If we're going down another stopgap route Brissett would be top of my list. I'm surprised he isn't mentioned more but I'm assuming that's cause we can't just sign him as a FA can we? We'd need to compensate the Colts? Or have I got that wrong..

Thing with Brissett is idk if he would be much if an upgrade on cam newton. His best year he had 18 passing tds and 4 rushing TDs.

Honestly could see cam newton match that if this team upgrades the receiver and tight end positions

looked good in one game for the raiders...

does that balance out the 63 games in Tennessee where he looked not good?

I like that guy

One game as a backup with low expectations doesn't discount the previous few years worth of play since his leg break, where at best he was streaky and inconsistent, and at worst he was panicky in the pocket, indecisive, scared to take a hit and couldn't throw accurately pass 20 yards.

He's an unrestricted free agent. He got a contract extension in 2019, but it was only for one additional year. The Colts paid him $28 million to get him under contract for the 2020 season. Oops.

I thought he was going to the be the guy going into 2020. I figured that they'd get good communication from Vrabel on what this guy could and couldn't do. I would think he'd be ok.

I know for me, I have to get beyond the fact that the next guy is not going to be Brady 2.0. I can tell from the posts that there is a lot of people who have the same problem. He just needs to be good enough.

i really think a guy like mariota/brissett/trubisky IS who you're going to see under center next year.......and i'm ok with that

The Jimmy G threads are full of people pointing out that Jimmy G is injury prone. Let's not pretend like Mariota is durable.

He seems like his short throw accuracy and touch is much better than Cam which is an upgrade I can't wait to see.

I am still holding out hope that the Pats can trade up from 15 to get one of the top four QB prospects. If the Pats draft a player who needs to sit a year to learn I'm a lot more interested in Mariota. If the future qb isn't already on the team after draft day then I'm not in favor of Mariota.

Honestly could see cam newton match that if this team upgrades the receiver and tight end positions
if our receivers and tight ends can anticipate the ball been thrown 5 yards too short and dive to catch it everytime then yes, count me in.

But honestly, something is wrong with his shoulder and or mechanics. He's inconsistent and we have enough evidence from the 2020 season to know its not going to work out here.

He played one good game last year and people think he’s the answer.

I’ve seen him brought up I’ve been banging that Drum.
Problem is Raiders like him too.
If only we had the cap last year to make a competitive offer
Cousin,
Nice breakfast of apple buckle cake coffee and juice.
But on to your comments. Unless BB can swing a deal for a Matt Ryan and his 35 year old age and CAP, you might be looking at an "on-the-cheap"QB signing because we have so many needs in FA and our Draft record is abysmal........but that is not entirely on Bill.
Why Ryan? I think he might be one of the few to bring the Pats to the playoffs as BB winds down. I think a long run in the play-offs tempers this Brady comparison.

Now the only flyer I might take is Watson (he did not make the playoffs with a Team that was about as bad as us in 2020).If it takes two first, two seconds and two players, that does not seem like a lot if Watson is not a flash in the pan. He's not Mahommes or even Allen though. Let's face it Watson had more weapons than Cam.

We suck at first rounders and usually trade out anyway......no ;loss there. So #15 this year and a 1rst rounder in 2022 but I would see if we can make it a third rounder in 2022 (for flexibility) and a second in 2023 plus Hightower and Gilmore (Nick C knows them well). If Watson is the real deal and if we missed on a rookie QB this year (Jones?), WE will be searching again in 2022 and maybe 2023.

Las Vegas will have $35mm tieD up in two QB's. Don't be so sure Mariota is the one who is traded. Carr?

I still think Washington's ERFA Kyle Allen is under the radar for BB and Josh. They did try to acquire him, He had a broken ankle in 2020 so they are buying low.

If not, another guess might be Gardner Minshew or FA Trubisky....but Mitch has already three Teams who are targeting him.

Can't see BB waiting on a rookie to lead this Team to the play-offs (and I love to follow the Draft). If three years is a fair evaluation, BB knows the clock is ticking. Without a doubt he is going for a Vet IMO.
DW Toys

Not sold on Mariota, but any veteran QB option is predicated on what the Patriots think they're going to do in the draft. Nothing is guaranteed of course, but I'm sure they have an educated guess on who is going to be available, who would be willing to trade with them (up or down), and who they really like. If they're confident they can get a draftee to develop, the goal is to find a reasonable vet on a two year deal so the rookie has to EARN the starting bid, and isn't just expected to be the guy from day one. Mariota would be fine for that, so would Brissett or Trubisky.

If they don't feel like any QB's they really like will be available to them in the draft, a guy like JG makes more sense as an option for the next 4-5 years.

Brissett is just a more expensive Cam at this point.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back