PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Mitchell waived

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expected . still a heartbreak. One of my favourite. Unbelievable short story.

Smart & all-around talent (with CB, PR, KR experience) . drafted with significant injury concerns and talk of redshirting rookie year . had some issues early in TC but bounced back to some hype before first preseason game where he suffered gruesome dislocated elbow . not many people saw him contributing that season . but he bounced back quickly and was there miraculously for big victory @ARI week 1 . suffered hammy that lingered through first part of the season . and when he finally came back to a most impressive rookie WR stretch in second part . he injured his knee on what looked like nothing in the last meaningless game of the regular season . but managed to bounce back once more for what might've been his swan song in SBLI . so special . in one of the all-time great rookie SB performances of the greatest comeback of all.

Everything he did on the field seemed so effortless, angelic . and it was unearthly how quickly he gained Brady's full trust despite availability issues. It was magic the short time it lasted . unfortunately couldn't find another trick from his Magician's Hat*.

Should've been great part of Pats future . now looks to be great part of Pats past.
He still believes he can make it back though, so good luck . wherever, whenever.

loved having you, MM

*The Magician's Hat is of course MM's first published book (that got him Reese Witherspoon's invitation)

Last edited:
You could have summarized your entire post in this one incredibly silly and unproven assumption buried near the end. I’d say at this point, the only thing proven about these 4 is that there was virtually no buyer’s market, their former teams couldn’t wait to dump them, and every one of them have question marks about whether or not they can even play the WR position adequately in the NFL at this stage in their careers, let alone with one of the most demanding, precision-oriented quarterbacks in league history, within an offensive system that demands all wide receivers understand and read defenses the same way the quarterback does.
Ok Chicken Little. Stay scared that Bill Belichick, josh McDaniel and Tom Brady can’t figure out how to get 3 receptions a game out of a group of 4 veteran NFL WRs.

Dorsett's NFL seasons:

As a rookie in 2015 with Indy, he had Luck as his starting QB for 5 games, Matt Hasslebeck (in his final season) for 5 games, and Josh Freeman for one game. Dorsett injured his ankle in game-7, causing him to miss 5 games mid-season. The injury dogged him the rest of the way.

In his first three games, with Luck starting, Dorsett caught 5 for 113 yds (23.0 ypc) and a TD. After that, it went downhill for him, and he finished the season with 18 catches for 225 yds, a 12.5 ypc, and a 46% catch rate. He also fumbled twice.

In 2016, with Luck starting the first 15 games (Tolzien started wk-17), Dorsett improved to a 56% catch rate, catching 33/59 for 528 yds (16.0 ypc) and two TDs, fumbling only once. Dorsett missed week-7 with a hamstring tweak.

Last year, without benefit of OTAs or Camp, the first half of Dorsett's season with the Pats was pretty dismal. He caught only 4/8 tgts (50%) for 85 yds (21.0 ypc), averaging 14 snaps per game.

After the BYE, and after Hogan was injured, he caught 8/10 tgts (80%) for 109 yds (13.6 ypc), averaging 33 snaps per game. He also caught 2/3 in the post season for 50 yds.

Great kid, contributed right away. Sorry about his injuries, but it happens in the nfl...seem to recall another Georgia player that had a nice rookie year with the pats, only to get hurt.

Everyone keeps calling him injury prone. My definition of injury prone is a player that blows out his shoulder 1 year, his bicep the next year, pec the next season etc. Malcom Mitchell's injury problems are related to 1 area. His right knee. He blew his ACL out in his right knee in 2013, injured the right knee again in 2014, missed 2017 with a right knee problem (likely ACL) and he had a procedure performed on his right knee about 10 days ago. I know I'm splitting hairs but when a bad ACL injury doesn't heal correctly and you play in the NFL it doesn't take much for a minor cut to tweak that 1 injury again and again. I really liked this kid. Bought his jersey and had hoped he would be here for many many years. Good like MM

Everyone keeps calling him injury prone. My definition of injury prone is a player that blows out his shoulder 1 year, his bicep the next year, pec the next season etc. Malcom Mitchell's injury problems are related to 1 area. His right knee. He blew his ACL out in his right knee in 2013, injured the right knee again in 2014, missed 2017 with a right knee problem (likely ACL) and he had a procedure performed on his right knee about 10 days ago. I know I'm splitting hairs but when a bad ACL injury doesn't heal correctly and you play in the NFL it doesn't take much for a minor cut to tweak that 1 injury again and again. I really liked this kid. Bought his jersey and had hoped he would be here for many many years. Good like MM

whether it's various injuries, or the same injury over and over, is irrelevant to the definition.

Definition of injury-prone
: frequently injured
  • an athlete who is injury-prone

Definition of INJURY-PRONE

injury-prone in British
(ˈɪndʒərɪˌprəʊn)
adjective
often sustaining injuries
the most injury-prone rider on the circuit

Injury-prone definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

That's why I stated I was splitting hairs Doche Irae. But thanks for the 'cough' informative Webster definition.

How is it splitting hairs to deliberately misuse a term?

Patterson is a lock for special teams, Dorsett has had a great off season but he’s accomplished nothing in the NFL starting year 4. Can’t be a lock.

Well said but people are salivating over Dorsett to make that 4th year NFL WR jump?? :D As noted by knowledgeable posters this Offense will have some growing pains minus Edelman. And we better hope Gronk or Hogan doesn't go down. To say it's slim pickings after them is being kind. Our WR's minus Edelman unless somebody is coming out of the woodwork doesn't scare any DC's. That poor Drafting of young WR's over the years might come back and bite us in the @ss.

I think the need to do the "waived/injured -> IR" thing first, don't they? Then release him with a settlement?

Answered my own question once I realized that Mitchell had been removed from the PUP list the day before. So, not injured (technically).

Saw this coming when they signed Danny Shelton.

Go west Malcom Brown.

Well said but people are salivating over Dorsett to make that 4th year NFL WR jump?? :D As noted by knowledgeable posters this Offense will have some growing pains minus Edelman. And we better hope Gronk or Hogan doesn't go down. To say it's slim pickings after them is being kind. Our WR's minus Edelman unless somebody is coming out of the woodwork doesn't scare any DC's. That poor Drafting of young WR's over the years might come back and bite us in the @ss.

You know it's funny. When watching film on both Cooks and Dorsett last season I liked Dorsett better as an all around receiver which included blocking etc....

I'm glad to hear he's somewhere within the Brady's circle of trust because if they can get on the same page it could be an awesome deep threat combo.

He seems to have good hands and has made a few contested catches during the limited opportunities he had. IIRC, a few of those contested catches were because Brady under threw him due to a lack of continuity (or something) but again if he and Brady on the same page, wow.

Anyway, I think this could be a big season for him. Maybe not in yards or TD's but in impact.

Now that's just me watching film so take that for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents