PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Mitchell waived

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made some key catch in SB 51, that was him at his finest.

IDK. Dorsett is young, very fast, very quick, a very good blocker, and he's had way more reps with Brady than anybody but Edelman and Hogan.
Yes. Also: 3 NFL seasons-- 947 yards for 3 TDs. Britt is 2 years removed from a 1,000 yard season with 5 TDs. Decker has similar NFL production. Should be competitive, but I suspect none will scare defensive coordinators.

If anyone signs him, I bet it will be the Titans, Texans or 49ers.

The Patriots will be entering the season with a new left tackle, and facing two teams that love to go after the QB. Would it really shock anyone to see the Patriots come out and try to use the running game to beat the tar out of those two front sevens, and then rely on passes to the RBs to just keep the chains moving?

Actually it would because it's been a while since they've shown the ability to win that way with consistency.

I'm working with two possibilities:

The Pats have a logjam at WR specially for WR3 or WR4 roles so there's no need to risk a roster spot on him in this context, he is a nice guy, hard worker, but business is business and he is away from the fields far too long and still struggling with his knee. So they released him earlier in training camp so his agent can try to negotiate a chance with other teams.

The other possibility and more likely is that he is really done and BB advised him to take care of his health first and foremost.

If he still wants to try even if it's next year I hope he gets another shot somewhere else.

IDK. Dorsett is young, very fast, very quick, a very good blocker, and he's had way more reps with Brady than anybody but Edelman and Hogan.

Dorsett is not "Quick he's Fast big difference". Edelman is quick Welker is quick. Did I add Brandon Cooks is fast not quick.

I'm working with two possibilities:

The Pats have a logjam at WR specially for WR3 or WR4 roles so there's no need to risk a roster spot on him in this context, he is a nice guy, hard worker, but business is business and he is away from the fields far too long and still struggling with his knee. So they released him earlier in training camp so his agent can try to negotiate a chance with other teams.

The other possibility and more likely is that he is really done and BB advised him to take care of his health first and foremost.

If he still wants to try even if it's next year I hope he gets another shot somewhere else.
These things usually are not necessarily the roster spot but the reps.
Essentially Mitchell wasn’t going to get healthy soon enough to get enough reps to compete for a roster spot with the other 4 guys. Given those 4 are competing, they need reps to sort that out as well as getting ready for the season and on the same page as Brady.

At some point any rep given Mitchell would be taking away from someone who could make the team.

At this point, both Dorsett and Patterson are locks.
Patterson is a lock for special teams, Dorsett has had a great off season but he’s accomplished nothing in the NFL starting year 4. Can’t be a lock.

Thats a shame, he was a talented kid but just couldn't stay healthy with those knees.. I wish you all the best going forward Malcolm, thanks for helping us win that epic SB 51!

Another unfortunate angle on all of this is that competition hasn't been deciding who stays and goes at WR so far, its being dictated by injury. We had a super competitive group of WRs going into camp, but with all the injuries, suspensions, etc the depth chart is being decided for us

Patterson is a lock for special teams, Dorsett has had a great off season but he’s accomplished nothing in the NFL starting year 4. Can’t be a lock.

Of course he can be. You all keep ignoring how many times he's been endorsed by various members of the coaching staff. You're also ignoring his strong performance thus far in TC and the fact that Brady seems to now include him in his circle of trust.

Why r they obsessed with drafting guys with injury histories. ..

Very different situation with 4 proven veterans

You could have summarized your entire post in this one incredibly silly and unproven assumption buried near the end. I’d say at this point, the only thing proven about these 4 is that there was virtually no buyer’s market, their former teams couldn’t wait to dump them, and every one of them have question marks about whether or not they can even play the WR position adequately in the NFL at this stage in their careers, let alone with one of the most demanding, precision-oriented quarterbacks in league history, within an offensive system that demands all wide receivers understand and read defenses the same way the quarterback does.

Why r they obsessed with drafting guys with injury histories. ..

huge potential upside

For where they drafted Mitchell it makes sense to take those calculated risks, but they shouldn't be doing that in the 1st round.. id argue they shouldnt do it in the 2nd round either, but it worked out pretty well with Gronk

I am so gutted about this.. Honestly think he could of been a great player here. His hands were unreal, came up big when we needed him. Had so so much talent and would of excelled here. I hope Kraft can some way pay him in a nice send off. Would hate to think of Mitchell going and not being able to look after him self with the medical side of things.

Was such a good pick just a shame those knees couldn't handle the pressure:(

Dam I'm going to miss him..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill