PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Mitchell waived

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn shame...

The team will need it since Hogan and Gronk will routinely get doubled in the first four weeks of the season. One guy will probably still be dominant while the other one will likely get taken out of the game. There needs to be production coming out of the split end.

The Patriots will be entering the season with a new left tackle, and facing two teams that love to go after the QB. Would it really shock anyone to see the Patriots come out and try to use the running game to beat the tar out of those two front sevens, and then rely on passes to the RBs to just keep the chains moving?

That’s really the headline? More like defined by a great Super Bowl performance and a chronic injury. I don’t see how you have potential when you can’t physically play. I think “unfulfilled potential” is the wrong phrase here and should be applied to players who lacked the dedication or attitude to thrive despite having the necessary abilities (and functioning knees) to succeed at a high level.

Malcolm Mitchell’s Patriots Legacy Will Be Defined By Unfulfilled Potential

The Patriots will be entering the season with a new left tackle, and facing two teams that love to go after the QB. Would it really shock anyone to see the Patriots come out and try to use the running game to beat the tar out of those two front sevens, and then rely on passes to the RBs to just keep the chains moving?
Depends on what Bryan is able to do for the Jags. If he can clog the toilet, that defense is suddenly able to stop the run, too.

too bad...seemed like he had potential....

A real shame we will never forget what you did your Rookie year Malcolm.:) It's a shame our brass Suck at Drafting and Developing Young WR's.:rolleyes:

Yes, because it was the Patriots 'Suck at Drafting and Developing Young WRs' that caused his knee injuries. It has nothing to do with the Pats consistently taking shots at players lower the draft in the hopes of getting better talent then their normal draft position allows. Nothing at all.

I actually agree. If I had to bet, I think Dorsett is most likely of the group to emerge as a trusted, long-term option for Brady. I also think in most years, he’d be a bubble player to even make the roster.
Everyone is hoping, but I would hedge your bet on something that has never happened. Right now Dorsett is hoping to join a long list of guys who flashed in preseason. Most of those crashed and burned. So, yeah, a bubble guy seems about right.

Beyond Edelman (out for first four games) and Hogan, there is not a single player who has proven he can play well in the Patriots offense, and their previous teams gladly moved on from them. And don't even try to bring up Dorsett; it's not that I'm writing him off, but even by the most optimistic standards, you can't say he proved much less year. My guess is that one of those players - Britt, Decker, Dorsett, or Patterson - will stick while the other three will prove to be losing scratch tickets. That's just looking at this objectively, that these are four low-risk players whose stocks have all hit career lows within the last year or two.

I'm sure this will go nowhere, as I remember typing the same crap over and over again during the 2013 season and predicting that Dobson, Thompkins, Collie, etc., were vastly overrated in the minds of Patriots fans and were just temporary band-aids to a position in bad need of a makeover.

At this point, both Dorsett and Patterson are locks.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
Beyond Edelman (out for first four games) and Hogan, there is not a single player who has proven he can play well in the Patriots offense, and their previous teams gladly moved on from them. And don't even try to bring up Dorsett; it's not that I'm writing him off, but even by the most optimistic standards, you can't say he proved much less year. My guess is that one of those players - Britt, Decker, Dorsett, or Patterson - will stick while the other three will prove to be losing scratch tickets. That's just looking at this objectively, that these are four low-risk players whose stocks have all hit career lows within the last year or two.
Beyond the top 2 WRs and gronk and James white we have 4 veterans who have played at a wr3/wr4 level effectively in the NFL.
Last season the 3 in targets had 59 and 34 catches. The #4 has 18/12.
In ‘16 it was 48/32 and 29/23

So we are looking to fill roles that project to combine for about 4-5 targets and 3 catches a game.
I have very little concern that the 2 out of decker, Patterson, Dorsett and Britt who win the camp competition can produce that.

I'm sure this will go nowhere, as I remember typing the same crap over and over again during the 2013 season and predicting that Dobson, Thompkins, Collie, etc., were vastly overrated in the minds of Patriots fans and were just temporary band-aids to a position in bad need of a makeover.
Very different situation with 4 proven veterans vs a 2 round rookie and an udfa rookie.
And that season we were 3rd in scoring and most likely would have gone to the SB if gronk wasn’t injured.

Everyone is hoping, but I would hedge your bet on something that has never happened. Right now Dorsett is hoping to join a long list of guys who flashed in preseason. Most of those crashed and burned. So, yeah, a bubble guy seems about right.

I think the key difference to a lot of those that crashed and burned is that he has an entire season of experience with Brady/Josh/the scheme in him already. Not saying that this guarantees anything but right now he is in a better position to succeed than most WR who come here.

Guess he has officially become a veteran binkie for me.

The way I see it, while Edelman is on "hiatus", the Pats will likely have Hogan, Dorsett and Patterson ...

... PLUS (temporarily) two of:

- Britt, Decker - both big, with very good resumes, but 30+ (and neither of whom have practiced much this Camp, so far)

- McCarron, Berrios - both zero-experience smurfs, but young, fast and possessing cat-like quickness

Brady will also have Gronk, White & Burkhead to throw to, and possibly Hollister, Michel, Hill and even Allen. That's twelve potential targets. Of course, he can only have five of them on the field at a time, but still.

Last edited:
Well there goes my Fantasy Football stealth pick. :(

The way I see it, while Edelman is on "hiatus", the Pats will likely have Hogan, Dorsett and Patterson ...

... PLUS (temporarily) two of:

- Britt, Decker - both big, with very good resumes, but 30+

- McCarron, Berrios - both zero-experience smurfs, but young, fast and possessing cat-like quickness

Brady will also have Gronk, White & Burkhead to throw to, and possibly Hollister, Michel, Hill and even Allen. That's twelve potential targets. Of course, he can only have five of them on the field at a time, but still.

It is just my pov but I dont think Decker and Britt overlap too much apart from their physique. Britt is more of a boundary option, while Decker at this point looks to me more like a slot player / red zone weapon.

I think if Berrios or McCarron can flash in the right way then Decker's time here is quickly over.

Now if Britt's performance this offseason turns out to be smoke or he reinjures himself then Decker might be the one to profit from it. But I think if Britt confirms whatever made the Pats so patient with him he becomes a lock and the other three battle it out.

Last edited:
This offseason sucks.

I think the key difference to a lot of those that crashed and burned is that he has an entire season of experience with Brady/Josh/the scheme in him already. Not saying that this guarantees anything but right now he is in a better position to succeed than most WR who come here.

Guess he has officially become a veteran binkie for me.
Oh he was my binkie last year. Great measureables and I like him on film albeit limited. But I cannot deny his lack of production which was mediocre at Miami and spectacularly bad in Indianapolis and here (so far).

IDK. Dorsett is young, very fast, very quick, a very good blocker, and he's had way more reps with Brady than anybody but Edelman and Hogan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye