PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Mitchell waived

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, drafting is a crapshoot. The Steelers drafted Antonio Brown. They hit the lottery. Drafting superstars makes up for anything.

BB drafted Edelman. Same difference.

I included the drafts from 2008 onwards because that period included the last time Bill successfully drafted somebody who is a WR.

I used a top-120 range because it represented players from whom it should be expected that they could at least become legitimate competitors for roster spots.

These two metrics should have actually placed Bill in the most favorable light possible, so I don't understand about what either of you are complaining.

My proposition was that ... during BB's tenure with the Pats
- his entire tenure, not just an arbitrarily selected part of it
- and ALL WRs, not just those filtered through an arbitrary and subjective "standard"
the Steeler's have drafted as many busts as BB has drafted WRs in total.

Your proposition is completely different, and you're applying arbitrary standards that restrict the sample size so as to "prove" a pre-determined conclusion.

I included the drafts from 2008 onwards because that period included the last time Bill successfully drafted somebody who is a WR.

I used a top-120 range because it represented players from whom it should be expected that they could at least become legitimate competitors for roster spots.

These two metrics should have actually placed Bill in the most favorable light possible, so I don't understand about what either of you are complaining.

I can arbitrarily reduce the sample size, too.

In 2002, BB drafted two WRs, and both were "hits". The Steelers drafted one, and he was a bust. Obviously, BB is a genius at drafting WRs and the Steelers suck at it.

Bethel Johnson was a real difference maker on the 2003 and 2004 SB teams. Sure he flamed out but go watch the season highlights (and 2005 also) and he pops up a lot.

Not a superstar by any stretch but not a bust either, IMO. I’d even say that without him and his KR TD vs Indy they don’t win it all in 2004, his best season IMO.

I had been hoping to see him play one more year. I feel like he’s most likely done playing.

Good memories though

Dude was a low-key Super Bowl hero, sorry he's gone but not surprised given all his injury issues.

7 targets, 6 catches, almost all in the 4th quarter comeback.

...Your proposition is completely different, and you're applying arbitrary standards that restrict the sample size so as to "prove" a pre-determined conclusion.
If that "pre-determined" conclusion is that the Emperor absolutely sucks at drafting WRs, then the Obvious answer is a resounding Yes, no matter what standards, sample sizes or any other damn metric is used.

If that "pre-determined" conclusion is that the Emperor absolutely sucks at drafting WRs, then the Obvious answer is a resounding Yes, no matter what standards, sample sizes or any other damn metric is used.

There's no way to dispute your opinion about Belichick, and I wasn't trying to. I was disputing the proposition that the Steelers are "so much better" by offering some perspective regarding the significant difference in volume of WRs selected.

Either way, your opinion about BB isn't really relevant to the specific hypothesis I offered and it doesn't change the facts that support it.

First of all, going back to 2008 makes it 11 years worth of drafts, not 10. So that's a failure on your part. And, again, it's an arbitrary cutoff by you that has no real basis other than to try say you're better than BB.

Secondly, Mitchell won his roster spot legitimately as a rookie. Getting an injury didn't change that.

So, it's your opinion that WRs from the 4th round who only have a 12% success rate should become legitimate competitors for roster spots? IMHO, that's moronic thinking at best. A 12% chance means that they are on the outside looking in to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back