PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Watch [Very Old Thread from 2022]

Mac is a year 2 QB, you definitely can't compare him to GOAT Brady. Developing Brady was successful because he had a great team around him and performed best when the game was on the line. We just don't know what we have with Mac or this team, including the offensive strategy. Worst case Mac will become Chad Pennington who was a smart game manager that could be part of a winning team. Best case he evolves to be a close approximation of Brees or Manning who used savvy vs elite athletic talent to succeed. This is why we watch the games.
pretty cogent post...hey..you're not a stupid azzole...what did you do to Stu and when's he coming back?

Yeah not fair to compare Mac to Tom when he plays excellent or when he plays poorly. Have to let him be himself and see how it turns out. There's only one Brady and that's okay there is going to be ups and downs. Hopefully he develops into a top 10 QB by next year.

You guys have never heard the term “more robust” before? More robust presentation? More robust model? More robust data set? I guess that’s just something my company uses.
Many years ago I was sitting at a table with a group of co-workers and one of the ladies made a claim that I didn't agree with. I told her that she didn't have the clout to pull it off. She insisted that there was no such word as clout.

Ah. That makes sense. Pour one for me. I’m not getting much sleep these days.
We were spoiled by our first child. Within weeks of coming home he was sleeping 18 hours a day, 12 straight at night and a couple of 3 hour naps during the day. People would come over to see him and he was almost always asleep.

Many years ago I was sitting at a table with a group of co-workers and one of the ladies made a claim that I didn't agree with. I told her that she didn't have the clout to pull it off. She insisted that there was no such word as clout.

Sure there is... Rhymes with stout, which in some cases is another way of saying robust...

Well we have some doubters about Mac Jones ability. Has he already hit his ceiling? Is this the wrong situation for Mac Jones to succeed here with the Patriots?

Casting doubt on Mac Jones:

Concern about Mac Jones bad situation:

He'll be fine.
He's not good. He's not bad. "Watch out, that Mac Jones is going to not lose us some games this year!"

It's year 2. There's film on him. You have to be going forward or you're regressing. Here's to some improvement through this season but he will be part of a complete effort, not some undeniable force of nature this season.

And I'll be very glad to eat these words.

He's not good. He's not bad. "Watch out, that Mac Jones is going to not lose us some games this year!"

It's year 2. There's film on him. You have to be going forward or you're regressing. Here's to some improvement through this season but he will be part of a complete effort, not some undeniable force of nature this season.

And I'll be very glad to eat these words.
2 games in with a new OC.

Patience before assessing his future career before he's played it

2 games in with a new OC.

Patience before assessing his future career before he's played it
Setting up my card table in front of Mac's house with the sign on it. Change my mind.

Sure there is... Rhymes with stout, which in some cases is another way of saying robust...
Which rhymes with pout, which is what children (and a few adults) do when they don't get their way.

Folks really fail to appreciate how little experience Mac has. There is a perception that rookie development is accelerated, and maybe in some cases it is, but most players (especially QBs) don't reach their mental/physical peak/prime until probably 4-6 years into the league. That's not to say they can't be really good players before that, but it's not going to fully come together for any player, especially a QB, until they have enough accrued playing/game experience, and likewise for strength/conditioning as it relates to physical maturation.

One season + two games is very little time. If Mac looks how he does now in year four, then it's fair to legitimately question his ceiling. But I'd suggest giving him three full seasons before writing him off (hopefully we see incremental improvement in the meantime, which I believe we are).

If memory serves, Brady was selected in the 2000 draft, and didn't become a full-time starter until 2001. In my opinion, Brady was a good, not great QB in 2001 and 2002. By 2003 he began really polish/elevate his game to a consistently very good/great level, by 2004 he was elite, and by 2007 he was a special player and already historically remarkable.

Point being, it wasn't until 2003/2004 that we truly realized just how good Brady could/would be, which would've been his fourth and fifth seasons in the NFL, respectively.

Last edited:
Oh, not combatively. I want great things for him -- and yes, 2 games isn't much to write the story of the season. That said, he is where he is right now. Not where we hope he will be. I feel like he just got to where he can trust the line.

He looks like that good-ish young QB, not the wow wow wow type of QB. Like I said, change my mind.

And PS, good ish isn't "flop." You can do much worse.

Folks really fail to appreciate how little experience Mac has. There is a perception that rookie development is accelerated, and maybe in some cases it is, but most players (especially QBs) don't reach their mental/physical peak/prime until probably 4-6 years into the league. That's not to say they can't be really good players before that, but it's not going to fully come together for any player, especially a QB, until they have enough accrued playing/game experience, and likewise for strength/conditioning as it relates to physical maturation.

One season + two games is very little time. If he looks how he does now in year four, then it's fair to legitimately question his ceiling. But I'd suggest giving him three full seasons before writing him off (hopefully we see incrementally improvement in the meantime, which I believe we are).

If memory serves, Brady was selected in the 2000 draft, and didn't become a full-time starter until 2001. In my opinion, Brady was a good, not great QB in 2001 and 2002. By 2003 he began really polish/elevate his game to a consistently very good/great level, by 2004 he was elite, and by 2007 he was a special player and already historically remarkable.

Point being, it wasn't until 2003/2004 that we truly realized just how good Brady could/would be, which would've been his fourth and fifth seasons in the NFL, respectively.
And it's a good & well-taken point -- and Mac's rookie year is very comparable to TFB's second year, except that Mac's 2021 team had a very different outcome than TFB's 2001 team. And of course, it's completely unfair that we have another 20 years of Brady to think about.

I think it's a given we don't know what we've got. But it's not therefore a given that he's one of the greats. All we know right now is what he can do right now, and that is a heck of a lot more than some guys -- he can not lose the game for you. Hey, I survived Cam Newton. I know that ain't nothin'. But that's just who he is right now. For all I know in a game or two I'll look back and laugh at this post when he has a 6 TD coming-out performance. More likely, in a year or two or three, as you say.

So, the question is whether we call tell whether Josh is a better OC than Patricia, after only 2 games? Of course, he is. Do you think that Bill would have fired Josh and replaced him with Patricia? Of course not. We are all hoping that Patricia will be an Ok OC.
Mac's Offensive Coordinators (OC) over the last 4 years are:
2019: Steve Sarkisian
2020: Steve Sarkisian (Won the 2020 Broyles Award for the Nation's top coaching assistant, and the FootballScoop OC of the Year Award)
2021: Josh McDaniels, who did well enough as OC with Mac to get a head coaching job.
2022: Matt Patricia

Mac had two years (with excellent continuity) with an excellent OC in Steve Sarkisian (not to mention Nick Saban as Head Coach) followed by a rookie NFL year with a very experienced (and IMHO excellent OC) in Josh McDaniels (and BB as Head Coach). So: three years with very experienced and established OC's in Sark and Josh. Now he has a rookie OC in Patricia, who very well may have long term OC potential (BB seems to think so), but even if Patricia turns out to be an "Ok OC" this year, at best he is learning on the fly.

So, in Mac's second NFL year he has a rookie OC in Patricia with new starters at LT, LG, RG, and RT. Frankly it would be shocking if Mac didn't struggle a bit out of the gate this season. Let's hope that things settle down in a few weeks and Mac starts to show some growth to build on last year.

Mac's Offensive Coordinators (OC) over the last 4 years are:
2019: Steve Sarkisian
2020: Steve Sarkisian (Won the 2020 Broyles Award for the Nation's top coaching assistant, and the FootballScoop OC of the Year Award)
2021: Josh McDaniels, who did well enough as OC with Mac to get a head coaching job.
2022: Matt Patricia

Which of these things is not like the others?
Which One Thumbs Up GIF by Originals

And it's a good & well-taken point -- and Mac's rookie year is very comparable to TFB's second year, except that Mac's 2021 team had a very different outcome than TFB's 2001 team. And of course, it's completely unfair that we have another 20 years of Brady to think about.

I think it's a given we don't know what we've got. But it's not therefore a given that he's one of the greats. All we know right now is what he can do right now, and that is a heck of a lot more than some guys -- he can not lose the game for you. Hey, I survived Cam Newton. I know that ain't nothin'. But that's just who he is right now. For all I know in a game or two I'll look back and laugh at this post when he has a 6 TD coming-out performance. More likely, in a year or two or three, as you say.
Could you please pass along how you survived Cam? There may be some of us still mumbling “where’s Stiddy”…

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back