PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lance Zierlein's pre draft scouting report of Mac Jones was spot on

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score

Maybe Patriots scouting department should hire this guy. His observations pre draft were extremely accurate
He predicted Mac would be a good backup to ceiling of low end starter
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jones has above-average accuracy and a season full of eye-catching production. He displayed nice improvement as he grew into the position from 2019 to 2020. His accuracy and ball placement stand out and he throws a very catchable football with consistent touch on it. He's not much of an improv player but can hurt defenses with his feet once he leaves the pocket. The tape shows too much predetermined decision-making about where he wants to go with the football rather than letting the coverage and his progressions speak to him. While the production looks great, he has clearly benefited from a wealth of riches up front, in the backfield and at wide receiver. He has a tendency to play with some panic when pressure gets after him and could struggle when things aren't optimal around him. Jones has good backup to low-end starter potential.
  • Very thin lower body and struggles to fight off rush contact.
  • Slow ball handler on RPOs.
  • Leaves back half behind in his follow-through.
  • Average release quickness.
  • Locks in on a target rather than honoring the progressions.
  • Doesn't play with the desired poise of an NFL starter.
  • Antsy when reads don't quickly come together.
  • Play can be panicky and rushed in the face of pressure.
  • Has trouble locating open targets in direction where heat is coming from.
  • Would like to see him play with more grit.

Last edited:
Yeah except . . . here are his strengths according to the same guy. What happened to these qualities? Some are no longer there.

• Stepped up to the challenge in 2020.
  • Won't take unnecessary chances very often.
  • Feel for pocket slides to avoid pressure.
  • Can climb into a rhythmic drive throw.
  • Very confident making placement throws.
  • Feathery touch attacking over the top of linebackers.
  • Accuracy to prevent receivers from having to break stride.
  • Expedites release on hot reads and in the face of pressure.
  • Perfect placement with hanging it high for receiver to leap and make plays.
  • Shows flashes of throwing players open.
  • Wins at the back shoulder.
  • Willing to get rid of the ball rather than take a loss or make a mistake.
  • Some elusive qualities when he turns into a runner.
He projected to be a plus starter . . . again, by the same guy. So what happened?

Corky Mac will be out of the league in a few years. He is not NFL caliber material.

For example look at Mark Sanchez.

Maybe Patriots scouting department should hire this guy. His observations pre draft were extremely accurate
He predicted Mac would be a good backup to ceiling of low end starter
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jones has above-average accuracy and a season full of eye-catching production. He displayed nice improvement as he grew into the position from 2019 to 2020. His accuracy and ball placement stand out and he throws a very catchable football with consistent touch on it. He's not much of an improv player but can hurt defenses with his feet once he leaves the pocket. The tape shows too much predetermined decision-making about where he wants to go with the football rather than letting the coverage and his progressions speak to him. While the production looks great, he has clearly benefited from a wealth of riches up front, in the backfield and at wide receiver. He has a tendency to play with some panic when pressure gets after him and could struggle when things aren't optimal around him. Jones has good backup to low-end starter potential.
  • Very thin lower body and struggles to fight off rush contact.
  • Slow ball handler on RPOs.
  • Leaves back half behind in his follow-through.
  • Average release quickness.
  • Locks in on a target rather than honoring the progressions.
  • Doesn't play with the desired poise of an NFL starter.
  • Antsy when reads don't quickly come together.
  • Play can be panicky and rushed in the face of pressure.
  • Has trouble locating open targets in direction where heat is coming from.
  • Would like to see him play with more grit.
As much of that is wrong as is right.
Nothing he says about reads and decision making is consistent with how he has played this year.

Also hire the college scout who identified N'Keal Harry's #1 flaw....."struggles to create separation"
Don't remind us please Borgie that one hurt so much. :mad:

As much of that is wrong as is right.
Nothing he says about reads and decision making is consistent with how he has played this year.
We must be reading it differently it seems spot on. FTR: some hated the Mac Jones selection initially.

Corky Mac will be out of the league in a few years. He is not NFL caliber material.

For example look at Mark Sanchez.
I can't believe I'm sticking up for a guy that needed color coded signs and runs into butts for fun, but Mac wishes he was as good as Sanchez. Sad state of affairs.

I wasn't overly happy when we picked Mac. I thought Mac and Trask were very similar imo. I was just happy that we didn't select Justin Fields who at the time was being linked to us. Something about Fields felt horrible to me. I wanted Trey Lance. Turns out all of them were duds.

I haven't followed much college this year. There has to be talent beyond the first round..right? I'd kill for a more durable version of Jimmy G.

Yes. Jones at his best is high floor low ceiling just like the scouts said he’d be. That is assuming that he wasn’t completely broken which he is now. He’s not a leader and doesn’t do well when everything isn’t going right.

Maybe he arrived in NE 3-4 years too late. Sitting behind the GOAT for a while and learning what it means to be a franchise NFL QB would have been nothing but good for him.

Last edited:
Yeah except . . . here are his strengths according to the same guy. What happened to these qualities? Some are no longer there.

• Stepped up to the challenge in 2020.
  • Won't take unnecessary chances very often.
  • Feel for pocket slides to avoid pressure.
  • Can climb into a rhythmic drive throw.
  • Very confident making placement throws.
  • Feathery touch attacking over the top of linebackers.
  • Accuracy to prevent receivers from having to break stride.
  • Expedites release on hot reads and in the face of pressure.
  • Perfect placement with hanging it high for receiver to leap and make plays.
  • Shows flashes of throwing players open.
  • Wins at the back shoulder.
  • Willing to get rid of the ball rather than take a loss or make a mistake.
  • Some elusive qualities when he turns into a runner.
He projected to be a plus starter . . . again, by the same guy. So what happened?

Most of that isn't far off for when things are good with him. It's when the going gets rough and he panics that all hell breaks loose. I find it interesting that the word panic is mentioned so often by this scout on Mac's negatives. It's downright eerie.

I wasn't overly happy when we picked Mac. I thought Mac and Trask were very similar imo. I was just happy that we didn't select Justin Fields who at the time was being linked to us. Something about Fields felt horrible to me. I wanted Trey Lance. Turns out all of them were duds.

I haven't followed much college this year. There has to be talent beyond the first round..right? I'd kill for a more durable version of Jimmy G.
I watched Washington v Oregon last night. Both QBs were better than anything I’ve seen from the Pats in years.

Both are in Heisman contention with one other QB, and None of the three are rated as highly as Williams or Maye.

Might be a good year for QB-needy teams.

We must be reading it differently it seems spot on. FTR: some hated the Mac Jones selection initially.
The tape shows too much predetermined decision-making about where he wants to go with the football rather than letting the coverage and his progressions speak to him.

this is wrong. He isn’t making pre determined decisions at all.

Locks in on a target rather than honoring the progressions.

this is not accurate. He often chooses not to throw to a first read that is open

The tape shows too much predetermined decision-making about where he wants to go with the football rather than letting the coverage and his progressions speak to him.

this is not accurate. He often chooses not to throw to a first read that is open
Ice Cube Reaction GIF

I think your second paragraph sums it up and is responsive to both of the Zierlein quotes.

I admit to being confused by your first paragraph too. I feel like the first Zierlein quote is saying "Mac only wants to throw to his first read" in as long-winded way as possible. And note Zierlein says the alleged pre-determined decision is about where Mac "wants to go", i.e., he's decided he only wants his first read (even if he sometimes chickens out when that first read is open).

Last edited:
Could ya'll imagine if someone was dumb enough to call Mac an "undeniable NFL starting caliber QB" in his third year?

I don't know what would be crazier, the statement, or the fact stupidity like that exists.

I tell you this though, if you put Mac on Kyle Shanahan's offense, he will shine.

I think your second paragraph sums it up and is responsive to both of the Zierlein quotes.

I admit to being confused by your first paragraph too. I feel like the first Zierlein quote is saying "Mac only wants to throw to his first read" in as long-winded way as possible. And note Zierlein says the alleged pre-determined decision is about where Mac "wants to go", i.e., he's decided he only wants his first read (even if he sometimes chickens out when that first read is open).
The first part says he makes decisions presnap and goes there no matter what he sees.
That is not happening.
He is indecisive pre and post snap. He chooses NOT to throw to his first read even when it’s open, evidently because he is afraid to throw the ball further than 5 yards. So he drops back let’s the router develop with no intention to throw them dumps off to a safe check down.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back