PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac: "I want to be coached harder"

Patricia is a good OC and the players are just holding back his genius is not the hill I would die on...
Saying he’s not the problem or not the only problem isn’t saying I believe he’s an offensive genius. Just don’t be surprised this off-season when Patricia is still OC and all the moves are on the OL instead.

Saying he’s not the problem or not the only problem isn’t saying I believe he’s an offensive genius. Just don’t be surprised this off-season when Patricia is still OC and all the moves are on the OL instead.

He may not be the only problem. He's about 90% of the problem. Team ADDED to a 10 win team and got worse. The offense regressed in ALL categories since last year. This offense is on pace to be worse than the 2020 offense with cam newton. And we now have MUCH better skill players. All that is on coaching

If he's the OC next year expect another garbage showing. Kraft said he didn't like how bill built the coaching staff before the season but was giving him benefit of the doubt.

The Patricia experiment has failed. If Bill wants to waste another year he with this failed experiment he should be fired. And if not then the Krafts deserve another lost year.

Last edited:
He may not be the only problem. He's about 80% of the problem. Team ADDED to a 10 win team and got worse. Only thing changed was the coaching. And who coaches the OL? Patricia

If he's the OC next year expect another garbage showing. Kraft said he didn't like how bill built the coaching staff before the season but was giving him benefit of the doubt.

The Patricia experiment has failed. If Bill wants to waste another year he with this failed experiment he should be fired. And if not then the Krafts deserve another lost year.
The OL got worse. Like way worse. It’s the players not the scheme. I’d be pissed if I was Onwenu and saw the **** Brown and Wynn have been giving up.

The OL got worse. Like way worse. It’s the players not the scheme. I’d be pissed if I was Onwenu and saw the **** Brown and Wynn have been giving up.

That is true. But who coaches the OL? Patricia.

Also why did Bill trade one of our OL to the bucs to save some cap space?

That is true. But who coaches the OL? Patricia.

Also why did Bill trade one of our OL to the bucs to save some cap space?

A) Mason has fallen off
B) Onwenu is a stud

I don’t do media without sources anymore. Pats Fans frequenter James White says he supported Mac Jones being frustrated but also pointed out everyone not named Rhamondre Stevenson has been wildly inconsistent. If everyone is piling on one person it probably isn’t that. Reality is never that neat.

Most of all the former players in the media are laying a majority of the blame at Patricia’s feet. Sure Jones has regressed this year, but even then he is not in the top two or three things wrong with the offense. And his regression could be directly (at least partially) related to no one with offensive experience coaching him.

He had very good pocket presence last year. So this could be a product of coaching and a historically bad o-line.

Granted, as we saw with Tony Eason about 40 years ago, you constantly get your QB under pressure and getting hit at an unprecedented rate and he can start to see ghosts for the rest of his career no matter how much protection he gets.
No he didn't, not to me at least.

Mike McGlinchey, Elgton Jenkins, Orlando Brown Jr, and Jack Conklin are good options if the price is right.
Now you got me thinking. Some good names on that list.

Is it the players though? I think Scar got more out of o-lines arguably more talented than this line. The work of the o-line coach is probably the most underrated among NFL coaching staffs. They work with the o-line on the sidelines changing up blocking assignments all game. The Pats’ o-line coach is too busy with the QB and the overall offensive strategy to give the o-line the time they need.

I think Patricia the o-line coach is getting a free pass since Patricia the offensive coordinator has been so bad.

It was gutless. It disgusted me in real time to see it.
I was disappointed when I saw him do that on third down. Slides one yard short of the first down in front of a DB.

Go for it, kid. The whole team is looking at you.

Doesn’t Mac Jones know how pumped he makes his guys when he sacrifices his body for the good of the team?

Blown opportunity, Mac. Play like a tough guy.

No he didn't, not to me at least.

Well to the rest of the world he did. People forget how bad the o-line was at the beginning of last year and how well Jones avoid the constant rush by stepping up in the pocket and getting rid of the ball quickly.

I think Patricia the o-line coach is getting a free pass since Patricia the offensive coordinator has been so bad.
And the fact he was given both jobs is a black mark on the guy who foolishly did it.

Well to the rest of the world he did. People forget how bad the o-line was at the beginning of last year and how well Jones avoid the constant rush by stepping up in the pocket and getting rid of the ball quickly.
He doesn't have great pocket awareness IMO, that's specifically what Zappe has over him.

I know you always post in his favor, but I personally don't think he's that good.
A bum? nah, A champion? No as well.
He's Andy Dalton IMO, but I'd LOVE to be wrong.

He doesn't have great pocket awareness IMO, that's specifically what Zappe has over him.

I know you always post in his favor, but I personally don't think he's that good.
A bum? nah, A champion? No as well.
He's Andy Dalton IMO, but I'd LOVE to be wrong.

He had good pocket awareness last year. That is a fact. In fact, it was one of his strengths last year. You can revise history if you want, but he did.

Here are some examples from last year where Jones stepped up in the pocket that I could find

This will be unpopular, but I believe there is some merit to the following IF/THEN logic.

IF the injured and inept OL is the cause of Mac's issues,

THEN Matt Patricia's effectiveness as an OC is also being compromised by that same OL.

It is being argued that we cannot judge Mac because the OL uselessness. There is some validity to this. Some will say Mac is trash anyway. Others will say very few QB's could do anything with this line. Bottom line, how many plays have we witnessed this year that were blown up by garbage OL play? Well, that affects Patricia as a perceived play caller just as it affects Mac as a QB. As someone already mentioned, if Sean Payton was the play caller this year, it wouldn't matter. If true, we can't really judge Patricia then.

You are trying to convince me, but you're failing, cuz I'm not an idiot.
Mac Jones is a mediocre qb, he makes too many dumb mistakes...who slides before the sticks, CONSISTENTLY....MAC JONES.

He had good pocket awareness last year. That is a fact. In fact, it was one of his strengths last year. You can revise history if you want, but he did.

Here are some examples from last year where Jones stepped up in the pocket that I could find

You are getting a little Mac10-ish with your Mac defense of everything, but these are great clips and give me some hope if the OL ever gets fixed in the future.

This will be unpopular, but I believe there is some merit to the following IF/THEN logic.

IF the injured and inept OL is the cause of Mac's issues,

THEN Matt Patricia's effectiveness as an OC is also being compromised by that same OL.

It is being argued that we cannot judge Mac because the OL uselessness. There is some validity to this. Some will say Mac is trash anyway. Others will say very few QB's could do anything with this line. Bottom line, how many plays have we witnessed this year that were blown up by garbage OL play? Well, that affects Patricia as a perceived play caller just as it affects Mac as a QB. As someone already mentioned, if Sean Payton was the play caller this year, it wouldn't matter. If true, we can't really judge Patricia then.

Patricia is the OC and o-line coach. If you want label him as a complete failure as an offensive line coach rather than an OC, so be it.

But an OC is supposed to scheme the offense to maximize the team's strengths and minimize the team's weaknesses. Last year, when the o-line sucked, McDaniels schemed the offense to minimize that problem by having a sixth lineman or using a FB to block (oops, don't have one this year) or running plays away from the weak parts of the line or whatever it takes. If the o-line is a disaster it is on the OC and the o-line coach to fix it. I blame them both.

Reactions: Ian
You are getting a little Mac10-ish with your Mac defense of everything, but these are great clips and give me some hope if the OL ever gets fixed in the future.
One thing that gets lost is a simple fact that we already know. It’s a lot easier to just play than to have to think/worry about something on every single snap. Watching those clips is definitely a reminder of that after enduring watching this season.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back