PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac: "I want to be coached harder"

I think the coaching criticism is overblown/exaggerated. I think coaching is critical for guys that need discipline and skill development, but coaching will never change natural reactions and personality traits. Mac is not one of those guys that needs discipline, and in general, a coach is not going to teach essential QB traits like pocket presence or field vision - that is why some QBs make it and some don't. I am hopeful the difference between last year and now is the obvious collapse of Brown and Wynn, and the Strange learning curve. If Mac's troubles are a result of coaching, I think he is cooked.

Coaching is critical for a young QB to help him improve the little things in his technique and help see the game from another perspective. Some of those little things are big things on the field. Most QBs who are starting are disciplined. You don't need a coach to help them with their discipline.

But Jones had above average pocket presence and field vision in college and his rookie season. Now it is below average. What happened?

Geno Smith is proof that bad coaching can make a young QB be much worse than he is. Why do you think so many high first round draft picks are busts? A lot of these guys become busts because the team that drafted ruined them, not because they didn't have the ability but because they were put in a position to fail.

The Patriots did this year the same thing we used to laugh at other teams for doing with young QBs and mock how they are ruining them. The OC, QBs coach, and o-line coach are defensive and/or special teams coach. They completely changed the offense (which is a huge no to young QBs) and chose a system that played to the talent on the teams' weaknesses rather than strengths. They have a major issue with the o-line and seem clueless on how to fix it. They are not coaching discipline to the team and the Pats are the most penalized offense in the league (or were a few weeks ago). Textbook case of what not to with a young QB.

Coaching is critical for a young QB to help him improve the little things in his technique and help see the game from another perspective.
As I stated above, I do not think coaching is going to teach "field vision". It is an ability some QBs have and others don't. It is not taught.
Some of those little things are big things on the field. Most QBs who are starting are disciplined. You don't need a coach to help them with their discipline.

But Jones had above average pocket presence and field vision in college and his rookie season. Now it is below average. What happened?
That is the critical question.
Geno Smith is proof that bad coaching can make a young QB be much worse than he is.
It is not simply one thing. Complex situations are never dependent on one variable. Bad coaching can contribute to a QBs regression or lack of improvement.
Why do you think so many high first round draft picks are busts? A lot of these guys become busts because the team that drafted ruined them, not because they didn't have the ability but because they were put in a position to fail.
I disagree. When the game speeds up and becomes more complex at the professional level, a lot of QB prospects do not naturally process everything fast enough to succeed at the next level. This is common in a lot of situations, not just with NFL QBs. As people are elevated they might have to multitask more, or manager new situations, or think under greater pressure. Some people can not elevate to the faster speed or higher stress, even with greater training.
The Patriots did this year the same thing we used to laugh at other teams for doing with young QBs and mock how they are ruining them. The OC, QBs coach, and o-line coach are defensive and/or special teams coach. They completely changed the offense (which is a huge no to young QBs) and chose a system that played to the talent on the teams' weaknesses rather than strengths. They have a major issue with the o-line and seem clueless on how to fix it. They are not coaching discipline to the team and the Pats are the most penalized offense in the league (or were a few weeks ago). Textbook case of what not to with a young QB.
Poor coaching and offensive play calling contribute, but everything is not of equal value is identifying the problem. I believe the poor OL play is the majority of the problem. If Mac had an extra 1 second on each play I think he would be a completely different QB even with the existing poor coaching and play calling. It is important to fix the major issue, and not get lost talking about the minor issues.

This OL, as it is currently, may be unfixable. If that hypothesis is accurate, then no OL coach or OC is going to overcome that.

I am the biggest BB slurper, but the GM might deserve the blame on this one.

If Mac gets a pass because the OL is worse than bad (maybe true), then Patricia should too.

If the Patriots had an average to above average OL, who is to say his play calling wouldn't be successful?
People are more and more echoing the former heresy of Captain Stone. Bill the GM is killing Bill the coach.

As I stated above, I do not think coaching is going to teach "field vision". It is an ability some QBs have and others don't. It is not taught.

That is the critical question.

It is not simply one thing. Complex situations are never dependent on one variable. Bad coaching can contribute to a QBs regression or lack of improvement.

I disagree. When the game speeds up and becomes more complex at the professional level, a lot of QB prospects do not naturally process everything fast enough to succeed at the next level. This is common in a lot of situations, not just with NFL QBs. As people are elevated they might have to multitask more, or manager new situations, or think under greater pressure. Some people can not elevate to the faster speed or higher stress, even with greater training.

Poor coaching and offensive play calling contribute, but everything is not of equal value is identifying the problem. I believe the poor OL play is the majority of the problem. If Mac had an extra 1 second on each play I think he would be a completely different QB even with the existing poor coaching and play calling. It is important to fix the major issue, and not get lost talking about the minor issues.

I think OL is the #1 issue. The main question is that due the coaching or talent.

I think OL is the #1 issue. The main question is that due the coaching or talent.
why-not-both-why-not.gif

I don't think you are an idiot, but you are clearly blinded by your bias against Jones. Show me video of the dumb mistake LAST YEAR or
You really can't think of one dumb play by a rookie QB? There were more than a few including the first play of his career.
him sliding before the sticks LAST YEAR.

You are projecting your views of him this year on him last year.
He was an average NFL QB as a rookie. We saw good to really good but far from special if you're being objective. In fact we've yet to seen a legitimate great game from Mac. Some really good ones but we haven't see special.

I think he could be a lot better with a real OC but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire so far.

I think both, but again, the main issue in the NFL is always talent, so I believe it is mostly talent. For some reason Brown and Wynn dropped off a cliff. I might be wrong, it might be a matter of discipline that the coaching staff is not managing.

I think he's just saying he welcomes being coached tough

y

Somebody needs to make a bunch of these and hand them out at the next home game

Agree with you and bob weathers, BB created this mess.

BB picks the players. makes the trades and spends the money on FAs who gets cut etc.

He makes the call on his assistants, whos the DC, whos the OC, who coordinates the ST etc

BB decides who plays and who sits, its all on him.

Yeah good

The Players want to win and not waste their efforts for nothing. Henry, Smith, Agholor and the rest want to see the ball come their way.

How would you like to run routes all game and never see a pass your way? Thats the life of a Pats TE and WR not named Meyers.
Hard not to agree with that, no wonder teams know what they are running a the passes are going in Myers direction..

However the bigger issue issue goes back to when RK, had an interview at the owners meetings and expressed his frustration not winning a playoff game.. and the unconventional ways BB handles the team. We should have knew something was up! Income MP and JJ..

Lots of of other players not just MAC 10 were questioning why the scheme changes.. as we can all see their frustration has boiled over..

I have said this since many years. This team will be as competitive as far as the offensive line will take them.

For me, the root cause is the offensive line....although there is blame to go around. Can't go deep if you have no time.

If I am a coach on this team, priority 1 is up front. Get physical and mean up front and at the very least go from there.

I have said this since many years. This team will be as competitive as far as the offensive line will take them.

For me, the root cause is the offensive line....although there is blame to go around. Can't go deep if you have no time.

If I am a coach on this team, priority 1 is up front. Get physical and mean up front and at the very least go from there.
Spot on, the O line is everything to an NFL offense. The line has been in disarray, this started with wynn and Trent Brown switching sides.. both as it was reported weren't happy with the position switch.

Everyone save for Andrews, strange and Onwenu need to go!

duplicate

Last edited:
Afraid? Not of Bill. They can and will do what they want

What they are concerned of is having the perception by the entire football world of treating Bill with a lack of courtesy and respect while trying to force him out of the big chair

Don't really think that too many people in the football world would care all that much how Bill's treated on his way out... They might feel he deserves whatever he gets anyway.

Everyone save for Andrews, strange and Onwenu need to go!
L/L's gone...Cachoo shouldn't be a high-priority signing... Brown will either 1) be our starting RT next season; 2) be our Swing Tackle but only after a pay cut; or 3) be on the waiver wire... Thanksdad shouldn't be playing professional football; he's a slap in Elvis' face, never mind Pat's.

Regarding OLmen, Bill's drafting since 2017 with the exception of Onwenu has been Horrible, and is yet Another reason why he should be NOWHERE ****ING NEAR One Patriot Place during draft weekend.

You really can't think of one dumb play by a rookie QB? There were more than a few including the first play of his career.

He was an average NFL QB as a rookie. We saw good to really good but far from special if you're being objective. In fact we've yet to seen a legitimate great game from Mac. Some really good ones but we haven't see special.

I think he could be a lot better with a real OC but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire so far.

I was basically asking the poster for video just to see if he would and possibly have him go back and might see his memory is incorrect about Jones. Of course he made at one stupid mistake last year. Even best QBs in the league make a handful of stupid mistakes over a season.

Don't really think that too many people in the football world would care all that much how Bill's treated on his way out... They might feel he deserves whatever he gets anyway.
Unjustly...but yea. More specifically coaches they want to attract to be here

Unjustly...but yea. More specifically coaches they want to attract to be here

Understood now... Yeah that's a valid concern, though I don't believe that Bob has to worry about being perceived as someone who's a hot-head without patience when it comes to churning through coaches, as other franchise owners whom we know have done...

Understood now... Yeah that's a valid concern, though I don't believe that Bob has to worry about being perceived as someone who's a hot-head without patience when it comes to churning through coaches, as other franchise owners whom we know have done...
Yea thats true. Hell even with the way Jerruh treated Landry didn't deter Jimmy Johnson from being HC

I am not putting all the blame on Fat Matt for the fall of Mac Jones really what has noodle Arm Jones shown so far?? Not much as a Starting QB. :rolleyes:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back