PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac: "I want to be coached harder"

Nothing is going to change.

Jones’ remark about wanting to be “coached harder” can be viewed as a not-so-subtle shot at New England’s coaching staff. Belichick was asked about it during a Monday morning WEEI interview.

“We coach everybody the best we can every week,” the Patriots head coach said during his weekly “The Greg Hill Show” appearance. “That’s not gonna change.”

From Jones yelling at Patricia to Kendrick Bourne saying the Patriots need to “scheme” better in key situations, it’s clear a majority of the frustration is directed at one person. But don’t expect Patricia to be demoted anytime soon.

Unjustly...but yea. More specifically coaches they want to attract to be here

I am not putting all the blame on Fat Matt for the fall of Mac Jones really what has noodle Arm Jones shown so far?? Not much as a Starting QB. :rolleyes:
Difference this season is do to us being in so many nationally televised games, the criticism is national on how bad the offense is.. that's a whole different pressure on an organization..

Jones’ remark about wanting to be “coached harder” can be viewed as a not-so-subtle shot at New England’s coaching staff. Belichick was asked about it during a Monday morning WEEI interview.

“We coach everybody the best we can every week,” the Patriots head coach said during his weekly “The Greg Hill Show” appearance. “That’s not gonna change.”

From Jones yelling at Patricia to Kendrick Bourne saying the Patriots need to “scheme” better in key situations, it’s clear a majority of the frustration is directed at one person. But don’t expect Patricia to be demoted anytime soon.

Are we going to pretend that for 20 years Bill got the credit for how good the offense was, but now that the offense is bad, its the OC's fault?

I actually like that the players are voicing how they feel. people can still be part of the program, and still voice thier feelings.

Are we going to pretend that for 20 years Bill got the credit for how good the offense was, but now that the offense is bad, its the OC's fault?
Post of the year blame the Top I'm not putting all the blame on Matt.

This debacle I won't even characterize as an offense. Bill had experienced, respected play callers in those positions.. during the years..

I’d like to know what Mac meant specifically by “coached harder”? It’s a pretty vague statement.

Or it’s just as simple as what I originally thought as he’s trying to say he wants better coaches.

Last edited:
“Don’t worry Mac, you’re probably gonna get it if they hire O’brien.” Careful what you wish for.

However, I’d be interested to see what Obrien could do with the two tight end sets. He had a hand in the scheming when Gronk and Hernadez were in town. Adding in Stevenson as a premier rb in the mix couldn’t hurt either.

Bill gets credit for drafting, developing and surrounding Tom Brady with good coaches and players. He should also get credit for deciding to implement the offensive system in which the team thrived.

He should not get some credit for providing input/blame for game planning, scheming and play-calling.

I’d like to know what Mac meant specifically by “coached harder”? It’s s pretty vague statement.

Or it’s just as simple as what I originally thought as he’s trying to say he wants better coaches.
I believe the 2nd statement you made would be more of what I thought..

I believe the 2nd statement you made would be more of what I thought..
It’s got to be tough on Patricia and Judge when they’ve never done this before.

It’s got to be tough on Patricia and Judge when they’ve never done this before.
I believe due to them being in the organization for a while, knowing the nuisances of the day to day operations. Bill in the off-season, was thinking well my qb played well showed he could adapt to the nfl let me add more to his plate.

Charlie Weis said that play calling Is a work of art..

Post of the year blame the Top I'm not putting all the blame on I think it’s 100% Bill for making the hires and he would probably agree. Starts at the top. At least the Giants and Lions can laugh at their failures while writing them paychecks.

It’s BB 100% for making the hires and he would agree.

At least the Lions and Giants can get a good laugh out of their failure as they still pay these two to be on another team due to naming rights.

He was an average NFL QB as a rookie. We saw good to really good but far from special if you're being objective. In fact we've yet to seen a legitimate great game from Mac. Some really good ones but we haven't see special.

I think he could be a lot better with a real OC but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire so far.
This is what everyone that points to last season ignores. Granted, he was a rookie. What happened last season:

1. Mac was the most NFL ready QB in the draft;
2. Mac was coached w/ training wheels on (i.e. 3 pass attempts);
3. Mac beat up on weak teams & struggled against good teams;
4. Mac was an average league QB w/ training wheels (who cares how he did against other rookies);
5. Mac dropped off in Dec-Jan once he faced better teams, his physical limitations began to show.

This season, it is clear Bill wanted to change the offense to catch up w/ the rest of the league (more vertical):

1. Brought in a deep 50/50 ball WR in FA;
2. Drafted athletic OL in 1st Rd & fastest WR in 2nd. Drafted fastest RB in the draft;
3. Focused on outside zone blocking scheme to take advantage of speed and looking for YAC efficiency;
4. Began season w/ vertical concepts;
5. Mac was all-in with this approach, had one of highest air yds per attempt.

What happened:

1. Outside zone blocking scheme didn't take. Not sure if due to coaching, lack of talent or both;
2. Mac failed at vertical concepts, throwing a bunch of INTs.
3. Now, O is back to dink & dunk and placed training wheels back on.
4. Mac wants to go back to vertical concepts but coaches don't trust him.

It's a f*cking mess.

Two things can be true:

1. Patricia isn't the OC guy.
2. Mac isn't the guy.

They aren't mutually exclusive.

Belichick deserves a huge portion of the blame. He is the one who decided with a second year QB that he would have a career defensive coach run the two most important coaching jobs on offense (OC and o-line coach) and a special teams coach who by reports was a bad WR coach as the QB coach and then change the offense to a system that doesn't fit the talent he has on the roster.

I have been a big Belichick defender in the past and I think he is the GOAT head coach, but the moves he made this offseason in the coaching department would get most coaches fired. I don't think Kraft will fire Belichick, but most other head coaches in the league would be fired for this season unless there is a massive turn around.

This is what everyone that points to last season ignores. Granted, he was a rookie. What happened last season:

4. Mac was an average league QB w/ training wheels (who cares how he did against other rookies);
5. Mac dropped off in Dec-Jan once he faced better teams, his physical limitations began to show.

This season, it is clear Bill wanted to change the offense to catch up w/ the rest of the league (more vertical):

2. Drafted athletic OL in 1st Rd & fastest WR in 2nd. Drafted fastest RB in the draft;
3. Focused on outside zone blocking scheme to take advantage of speed and looking for YAC efficiency;

What happened:

1. Outside zone blocking scheme didn't take. Not sure if due to coaching, lack of talent or both;

It's a f*cking mess.

Two things can be true:

2. Mac isn't the guy.

Valid, valid solid points.. only thing I'll add is if we had competent play calling, just competent that's all this offense should be scoring 25 ppg.

What happened:

It's a f*cking mess.

Two things can be true:

2. Mac isn't the guy.

What makes you think that Mac was all in for the offense change? From reports, he and other players seemed pretty upset with it even in mini camps.

I’d like to know what Mac meant specifically by “coached harder”? It’s s pretty vague statement.

Just a news nugget, the raiders game has been flexed out the prime time spot.
FOB, (friend of bill) Lombardi stated the patriots don't have an offense they just run a bunch of plays!

why-not-both-why-not.gif
It's definitely both but OL play is more important for a few different reasons.

We've seen so many types of offenses/offensive styles work but nothing is happening no matter how simple or complex without your OL. Not your run game or passing attack. It effects everything and everyone (QB RB WR TE). Simplicity (RPO, WC), low volume plays (Shanahan/Kubiak), mix match of different styles (Gase/Daboll, we've seen it work but not without a competent, versatile OL.

No doubt Patricia could be upgraded but fixing this OL is the biggest issue we have rn.
Valid, valid solid points.. only thing I'll add is if we had competent OL play, just competent that's all this offense should be scoring 25 ppg.

What makes you think that Mac was all in for the offense change? From reports, he and other players seemed pretty upset with it even in mini camps.
Bourne is the only one we heard complains from.

Mac said it was a collaboration between coaches and him. We know Mac played mostly out of shot gun in college (check). We know Mac likes RPOs (check). We know Mac wants to go vertical (initially check, now he's complaining about short game).

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back