PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac: "I want to be coached harder"

Harder coaching from who? Patricia? I'm sure the coaching sucks, and isn't likely to get tougher or better, but Mac is generally middling at best right now and at times is looking genuinely befuddled. If he can't play consistently smart then he's really in trouble because the extraordinary physical attributes aren't there. It's a bad situation, struggling QB who's clearly regressed, and I don't believe the team has the coaching resources to fix it. Patricia was a huge mistake by Belichick... there's no denying it right now. And I'm not sure there's a clear or immediate path to correcting it.

This is something that has really stood out to me in the post-Brady era. Bill has flat out not put people in a position to succeed recently. The experiment with Patricia as the OC and play caller is a flat out disaster and I fault Bill as much as I fault Patricia. Patricia has no business running an offense. There is no rhythm to his play calls, he doesn't set up plays based on a look from a prior play, he doesn't see what the defense is doing and adjust on the fly, and the play designs themselves seem completely flawed as half the time the receivers aren't even looking for the ball when Mac needs to get rid of it. To be honest none of that is really all on Patricia. He has never done this before and Bill decided to throw him into the fire with a second year QB and basically hinder his development to the point Mac may not recover. Bill has put Patricia and Mac in a position to fail and it seems to have killed our once promising QB.

The tackle situation seems to be another spot Bill has but multiple people in position to fail. Why the swap of the two tackles? We went from an average to below average left tackle in Wynn and an above average to good right tackle in Trent Brown only two swap them and have two bad tackles. No matter what anyone says Brown can't be happy he signed for RT money and is now playing LT and Wynn gets moved to RT in a contract year. Hard to imagine them being potentially bent out of shape about having their position moved and affecting their current/future contracts hindered isn't contributing somewhat to their poor play.

Jon Jones is another more recent glaring example. Why is a guy who made his living in the slot for all these years now being asked to go one on one with two of the NFL's best receivers in back to back weeks? I like JJ and think he is a great slot corner and a capable outside corner against average receivers but why is Bill putting him on an island against elite receivers and letting him get torched?

How about you buckle up your overalls and play better.

In fairness to mac, this is just a snippet of the whole answer. He does show accountability at least and highlights that he needs to do better

“I think it’s accountability,” Jones said. “It starts with me. I want to be coached harder. I want to be a better player. The coaches have given us everything they’ve got. They’ve done everything to put us in position to win. But I want to hold everybody accountable, including myself. I think it’s tough, right? You get called out a little bit, you have to admit that you didn’t do your job. That’s part of the game. A lot of that blame falls on me. I didn’t do my best (Thursday night).”

Jon Jones is another more recent glaring example. Why is a guy who made his living in the slot for all these years now being asked to go one on one with two of the NFL's best receivers in back to back weeks? I like JJ and think he is a great slot corner and a capable outside corner against average receivers but why is Bill putting him on an island against elite receivers and letting him get torched?
Who else are you putting on the outside WR, especially in a game where Mills is inactive? The criticism that would be valid about this situation is that we shouldn't have gone into the season with a cornerback group almost entirely made of slot archetype guys who lack height. However, with the present roster, Jonathan Jones has to be an outside corner because he's simply better at it than the alternatives.

Not to mention jonnu smith who he’s paying a ton of money to for at least another season after this.

Agree on the tackle swap, really a microcosm of the handling of this offense. They had some things to build off the last season i thought but just made all these changes that made no sense and we’re seeing the results. When so many key players who did well last season have appeared to regress … mac, bourne, henry, wynn, Brown … thats gotta be square on the coaches failing to utilize them properly.

Did you watch SB 52? How about the entire last month of the 2015 season?

Belichick can move around the chess pieces of this current team all he wants... he doesn't have the requisite personnel on the roster or on the sideline to compete with the better teams in the league. When you have a decades worth of collectively subpar drafts with bigtime misses at key positions and you're literally hiring unqualified coaches for play-calling on both sides of the ball then you're really setting yourself up for failure.

Overall Belichick clearly has the experience, knowledge and coaching acumen but he also hasn't put even himself in the best position to succeed.

Who else are you putting on the outside WR, especially in a game where Mills is inactive? The criticism that would be valid about this situation is that we shouldn't have gone into the season with a cornerback group almost entirely made of slot archetype guys who lack height. However, with the present roster, Jonathan Jones has to be an outside corner because he's simply better at it than the alternatives.
They need to get him some help over the top. Jones was put one on one with Jefferson and Diggs multiple times the last two weeks with no safety help or double team a lot of the time and paid the price.

Did you watch SB 52? How about the entire last month of the 2015 season?

Belichick can move around the chess pieces of this current team all he wants... he doesn't have the requisite personnel on the roster or on the sideline to compete with the better teams in the league. When you have a decades worth of collectively subpar drafts with bigtime misses at key positions and you're literally hiring unqualified coaches for play-calling on both sides of the ball then you're really setting yourself up for failure.

Overall Belichick clearly has the experience, knowledge and coaching acumen but he also hasn't put even himself in the best position to succeed.
The 2015 season will forever be Bill's worst coaching job as far as I am concerned.

So I’m a little slow to come around. Matt is the main issue…I probably should have been more open to that in the past. IMO this can only be fixed with McDaniels or O’Brien.

In fairness to mac, this is just a snippet of the whole answer. He does show accountability at least and highlights that he needs to do better

“I think it’s accountability,” Jones said. “It starts with me. I want to be coached harder. I want to be a better player. The coaches have given us everything they’ve got. They’ve done everything to put us in position to win. But I want to hold everybody accountable, including myself. I think it’s tough, right? You get called out a little bit, you have to admit that you didn’t do your job. That’s part of the game. A lot of that blame falls on me. I didn’t do my best (Thursday night).”
I think in full context he said the right things. With that being said he knows there is an issue with this offense and he knows it isn't all his fault. Mac has been pretty bad this year but the coaching staff isn't doing him any favors at all.

What's ironic is I spent all night yelling at Patricia: "RUN THE F-ING BALL! F-ING PASS GAME SUCKS!"

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back