PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac: "I want to be coached harder"

After 2020 of course... and this season...
2015 sticks out to me as the worst because Bill did multiple things that year that basically cost us wins and the AFCCG at home instead of Denver. The mortar kick for no reason when we were up big against Philly that seemed to spark a comeback. Harper out in the snow in Mile High for the second punt return of his career. Running Steven Jackson against Miami at the end of the year to send some stupid message to god knows who and losing home field advantage. Then not figuring out how to fix Stork allegedly tipping the snap count at Mile High in the AFCCG allowing the Broncos D to tee off on Brady.

This is something that has really stood out to me in the post-Brady era. Bill has flat out not put people in a position to succeed recently. The experiment with Patricia as the OC and play caller is a flat out disaster and I fault Bill as much as I fault Patricia. Patricia has no business running an offense. There is no rhythm to his play calls, he doesn't set up plays based on a look from a prior play, he doesn't see what the defense is doing and adjust on the fly, and the play designs themselves seem completely flawed as half the time the receivers aren't even looking for the ball when Mac needs to get rid of it. To be honest none of that is really all on Patricia. He has never done this before and Bill decided to throw him into the fire with a second year QB and basically hinder his development to the point Mac may not recover. Bill has put Patricia and Mac in a position to fail and it seems to have killed our once promising QB.

The tackle situation seems to be another spot Bill has but multiple people in position to fail. Why the swap of the two tackles? We went from an average to below average left tackle in Wynn and an above average to good right tackle in Trent Brown only two swap them and have two bad tackles. No matter what anyone says Brown can't be happy he signed for RT money and is now playing LT and Wynn gets moved to RT in a contract year. Hard to imagine them being potentially bent out of shape about having their position moved and affecting their current/future contracts hindered isn't contributing somewhat to their poor play.

Jon Jones is another more recent glaring example. Why is a guy who made his living in the slot for all these years now being asked to go one on one with two of the NFL's best receivers in back to back weeks? I like JJ and think he is a great slot corner and a capable outside corner against average receivers but why is Bill putting him on an island against elite receivers and letting him get torched?
I agree strongly with you overall analysis.

I disagree with regard to Jon Jones. He is our best outside corner. The other choice was Jack Jones (Mills was out).

I agree strongly with you overall analysis.

I disagree with regard to Jon Jones. He is our best outside corner. The other choice was Jack Jones (Mills was out).
So then you think Matt Patricia is doing a good job? The tackle switch has been a success? And Jon Jones doesn't need help against arguably the two best receivers in the league?

I'm glad Mac is vocal. Hes frustrated and so am I.

Mac needs a real QB coach.

Mac needs a real offensive coordinator.

He had that last year and went on to have a very good rookie year.

Even Tom had this support in his early, mid and latter years.

The same mistakes and tendencies are occurring over and over and over again.

I am so done with Bryant. My dog is an upgrade.
When I heard Mills was going to be out and people were saying "no big loss there" my first reaction was "have you seen Bryant play?"

It was ugly and expected.

Would you like him to say something like:

"What I said was about throwing it deeper in the short game. I got to execute that part better... I shouted that out to kind of get everyone going. That’s emotional. That’s football. I’m passionate about this game. Obviously, you don’t want to let your emotions get the best of you. But yeah, I think that’s pretty much it. It wasn’t directed at anybody. Just emotion coming out and we kind of needed a spark... At the end of the day we have to execute the plays and do a better job. Sometimes you’re just so competitive, right? You want to go out there, ‘hey, let’s get a 50-yard gain.’ Sometimes it doesn’t happen, but we might as well go down trying, and try to make it work.”

because, he did

I really don't have problems with players demanding more of themselves and teammates. He knows that he needs to play better, clearly, and is a fiery guy.

…you honestly believe he meant that? The shouting at the coaches and now this quote seem to indicate that he believes his poor play is someone else’s fault first and his fault second. When people are upset, and he seems to get upset quite a bit, they speak to how they really feel. It’s not until later, after they’ve calmed down, that they begin to massage the truth and play down everything they said. That’s the case here. He was clearly talked to in the time period between the game ending and his postgame presser. What you see there is the B.S. he was told to spit out.

You're also forgetting the banged up and poor Offensive line. Of course, that's something that you would fail to mention. But if you're talking about Tampa, it's all the O-line and no Brady, even though Brady is pressured and sacked bottom 3 in the league. But again, you will not bring that up.
You can't expect everyone to be thorough in all of their criticisms of last night. This is a fan forum and people have a right to be negative after last nights showing. Mac does deserve criticism and it is concerning that a second year QB's first words out of their mouth aren't about their own play. The post you replied to isn't even mildly inflammatory. Consider taking a break.

Exactly. But right off the bat, his first thought in the quote is that it’s someone else’s fault. How about just leaving that part out and saying something like, “I need to be better. I’ll watch the film and learn from this.” Hell, I’d even accept, “We all need to play better, and it starts with me.” Charmin-soft mentality.
Mac directed his tantrum at Patricia.

The Pats let Jones air it out at the beginning of this season and we saw INTs. Since Mac has come back from the Ravens game Patricia is calling safer plays to avoid turnovers. The Vikings did not pressure Jones in the 1st half, but adjusted and brought heat in the 2nd half choking off the NE offense.

VS the Vikings NE went 3 of 10 on 3rd down
VS the Bills NE went 3 of 12 on 3rd down

You're also forgetting the banged up and poor Offensive line. Of course, that's something that you would fail to mention. But if you're talking about Tampa, it's all the O-line and no Brady, even though Brady is pressured and sacked bottom 3 in the league. But again, you will not bring that up.
I've said multiple times the Patriots o-line is a major problem. But that doesn't absolve Mac of his liabilities. Apparently you think I want Mac to suck. I don't. He's just not playing well this season, and in combination with the gigantic mess at the OC position, I'm not optimistic moving forward. And you don't want me to talk about Brady but then you bring him up. It's not really a fair comparison because Brady's the best to ever do it, and he's still playing at a high level, but Mac's not anywhere near Brady's level. Even with Brady admittedly not having one of his best seasons.

If the Patriots are committed to Mac as their franchise quarterback then they need to burn the current playbook and release Matt Patricia and Joe Judge of their responsibilities. Bring in a Bill O'Brien or someone with some knowledge, experience and credibility. That's where it needs to start if there's any hope of getting things back on track. Mac looked promising, if not great, until week 12 of last season (just prior to the wind storm game), but he's been declining since, and he really looks regressed this season. He looks like he desperately needs a bonafide OC at least.

I've said multiple times the Patriots o-line is a major problem. But that doesn't absolve Mac of his liabilities. Apparently you think I want Mac to suck. I don't. He's just not playing well this season, and in combination with the gigantic mess at the OC position, I'm not optimistic moving forward. And you don't want me to talk about Brady but then you bring him up. It's not really a fair comparison because Brady's the best to ever do it, and he's still playing at a high level, but Mac's not anywhere near Brady's level. Even with Brady admittedly not having one of his best seasons.

If the Patriots are committed to Mac as their franchise quarterback then they need to burn the current playbook and release Matt Patricia and Joe Judge of their responsibilities. Bring in a Bill O'Brien or someone with some knowledge, experience and credibility. That's where it needs to start if there's any hope of getting things back on track. Mac looked promising, if not great, until week 12 of last season (just prior to the wind storm game), but he's been declining since, and he really looks regressed this season. He looks like he desperately needs a bonafide OC at least.
Imho a great balanced view..

You have to be an idiot to not see he's indirectly saying he wants to be coached better.
Couldn't agree more, it's quite transparent. Kid is begging for it honestly. I wouldn't mind if Bill took over the offense and took a hands on approach with Mac and the guys. And sent Matt to some other part of the team (and please just send Judge to coach special teams, I *promise* nobody will poach him just because he has a coordinator title).

Since Brady has been established as part of this thread, I would like to reaffirm my totally not gay love for Tom Brady the football player. As a person, seems like a real weirdo.

I'll use the GOAT to translate what Mac is really saying to the coaches.....

1670000885209.png

When I heard Mills was going to be out and people were saying "no big loss there" my first reaction was "have you seen Bryant play?"

It was ugly and expected.
I would have liked to see Jack Jones on Diggs but that might have been too much to ask for a rookie.

Bryant should NEVER be in man coverage. Ever. He should be the helper on double teams or playing cribbage in the clubhouse.

Exactly. But right off the bat, his first thought in the quote is that it’s someone else’s fault. How about just leaving that part out and saying something like, “I need to be better. I’ll watch the film and learn from this.” Hell, I’d even accept, “We all need to play better, and it starts with me.” Charmin-soft mentality.
I think he's pissed his coaches are morons. Mac can be a good QB, maybe very good, probably not great, but he won't get there with this coaching staff.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back