PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac: "I want to be coached harder"

I wonder if Patricia was just a placeholder for the guy BB really wants and that is Bill O'Brien, although Alabama fans don't seem to want him back

The fact that the coaching staff has lost a lot of its most reliable and experienced members is a big part of BB having too much on his plate. Defections and retirements have done a lot of damage.
Major brain drain no question... Scar, Flo, Josh, Daboll even Judge who was a fine ST coach.

Historically, I think it's been fine. BB's sphere of influence and authority has worked out well these last ~20 years.

We can all agree having a GOAT at QB made his system execute at an optimal outcome. High-performing, mid-budget franchise QBs make cap, roster, system, game-plan and play-calling decisions a lot easier with a higher margin of error. Just look at the coaches who are lauded for being successful and their corresponding All-Pro QB situation. The man put rosters together and coached teams that went to 9 Super Bowls. His team-building and coaching accomplishments will never be duplicated - ever.

To your point, i've come to the conclusion at 70, BB is simply stretched too thin and can't multi-task like he used to. He needs great coaches and talent around him and he just doesn't have it now. He still has a great football mind but i'm not sure how best that mind should be purposed.

It's interesting...I thought BB did a great job in 2020 with crap Cam and good last year getting back in the playoffs with a rookie QB and an improved roster. This year has been just a confusing, disappointing season and the in-game management has been worst of his era. That is what has been most shocking. The repetitive mistakes. The sloppiness. The lack of innovation. The lack of discipline.

Something needs to change. The team is going in the wrong direction.
Well put! That's a perfect depiction of BB and all he's done. I asked, because sometimes when a person has to much power it can be detrimental to the success of the team ect. Like we are witnessing.

I know that Bill is a Parcells deciple and he wouldn't have taken the patriots job without being coach and GM.. that is alot of power. Your absolutely right, the 2022 NFL where offenses are innovative, and geared toward the skill set of the teams players. If the offense could even match the effort of the defense then this team could be a force going forward.

The fact that the coaching staff has lost a lot of its most reliable and experienced members is a big part of BB having too much on his plate. Defections and retirements have done a lot of damage.
Yes along with the unwillingness to find coaching talent outside the organization.. Tom Curran reported coaches and staffers are asked to work 80,90 hours a week.
Some of the coaches that left with Josh jumped at the opportunity as it was becoming too demanding on them.

Well put! That's a perfect depiction of BB and all he's done. I asked, because sometimes when a person has to much power it can be detrimental to the success of the team ect. Like we are witnessing.

I know that Bill is a Parcells deciple and he wouldn't have taken the patriots job without being coach and GM.. that is alot of power. Your absolutely right, the 2022 NFL where offenses are innovative, and geared toward the skill set of the teams players. If the offense could even match the effort of the defense then this team could be a force going forward.
I mean...it's a tough situation right now. Based on his success I think Bill has earned the right to have complete control and say of all football decisions and be given the opportunity to build Dynasty III.

The problem is that hallway pass has an expiration date....and it's coming up.

Since Tom left BB is 23-23 (inc playoffs). I mean, in the grand scheme of things going .500 after the GOAT leaves isn't horrible.

The problem is we are on Year 3 and the team has expensive FAs who aren't performing, a poorly run product on the field and furthermore Bill surrounds his 2nd year QB who was picked 15th in the f-ing draft with a OC and Qb coach WHO HAVE NEVER COACHED THESE POSITIONS BEFORE. I admit, I thought it might have a chance to work but it's been a f-ing failure. Fat Matt run the offense like its 1948 and Judge - as QB coach has seemingly brought little value to this operation. I think Mac is playing better but it still is ugly.

This feels so much like the 1995 Patriots it's frightening.

I wonder if Patricia was just a placeholder for the guy BB really wants and that is Bill O'Brien, although Alabama fans don't seem to want him back

Oh, i Work with a lot of them, I can promise you they want BOB gone.

I think there is something to this.

Really.

Is Weis busy? Available?

I'm not kidding.

(Charlie is also not chicken/stupid about calling running plays)
It's really interesting why Charlie hasn't come back as a consultant of some sort.

I think there is something to this.

Really.

Is Weis busy? Available?

I'm not kidding.

(Charlie is also not chicken/stupid about calling running plays)
It's really interesting why Charlie hasn't come back as a consultant of some sort.

I believe Weis has health problems, doesn't seem he has coached anywhere since leaving Kansas eight years ago. He has a 29-year-old son who is co-OC at Ole Miss.

I asked my friend who's a lifelong 49ers fan about his thoughts on McDaniel getting a HC without having experience calling plays and he told me he designed a lot of the plays during his time in SF.

Look how fast Miami picked up a newly installed offense with a guy who knows what he's doing. McDaniel has done a great job in his first year. Pats need someone like this running the offense, but as Charlie Weiss has said, he doesn't think Bill will poach anyone that is not "friends and family".
Kellen Moore.

I believe Weis has health problems, doesn't seem he has coached anywhere since leaving Kansas eight years ago. He has a 29-year-old son who is co-OC at Ole Miss.
Makes sense. My belief was that Charlie, who is in his mid 60s, is financially set and doesn't want to work the long hours as an OC for BB. However I thought he might do something part time....guess not.

Not surprised he has health problems. He ate his way through gastric bypass. He even said that the only reason he got it was because he was afraid he would “drop dead” if he didn’t, and he just turned into a beach ball again.

The board is complaining about retreads ruining Mac Jones/offense and yet we want another retread in O'Brien to resurface here? The guy's claim to fame was getting into a yelling match with Tom Brady on the sidelines. He was officially the OC for year. No thanks. The team needs new ideas.

And the Texans fans sure didn't want him either. It's not all his fault what happened with the Texans, but a fair share is. Be careful what we ask for. Still, he's probably an upgrade over Patricia.

And the Texans fans sure didn't want him either. It's not all his fault what happened with the Texans, but a fair share is. Be careful what we ask for. Still, he's probably an upgrade over Patricia.
BOB as an OC is a monumental upgrade over Fat Matt.

Doesn't Patricia also have the dubious honor of being the OL coach? So actually we can blame almost everything on Patricia right now, if the OL is the root of the woes? He calls the wrong plays and he's a horrible OL coach this year?
Him and Judge are definitely in over their head and spread too thin. It's an organizational failure for sure. Embarrassing from a team that usually has its **** straight.

Not surprised he has health problems. He ate his way through gastric bypass. He even said that the only reason he got it was because he was afraid he would “drop dead” if he didn’t, and he just turned into a beach ball again.

It's sad, I always liked the guy. He's 66, not too old to be doing something in the game.

I mean...it's a tough situation right now. Based on his success I think Bill has earned the right to have complete control and say of all football decisions and be given the opportunity to build Dynasty III.

The problem is that hallway pass has an expiration date....and it's coming up.

Since Tom left BB is 23-23 (inc playoffs). I mean, in the grand scheme of things going .500 after the GOAT leaves isn't horrible.

The problem is we are on Year 3 and the team has expensive FAs who aren't performing, a poorly run product on the field and furthermore Bill surrounds his 2nd year QB who was picked 15th in the f-ing draft with a OC and Qb coach WHO HAVE NEVER COACHED THESE POSITIONS BEFORE. I admit, I thought it might have a chance to work but it's been a f-ing failure. Fat Matt run the offense like its 1948 and Judge - as QB coach has seemingly brought little value to this operation. I think Mac is playing better but it still is ugly.

This feels so much like the 1995 Patriots it's frightening.
Spot on, Kraft was looking for someone to get his franchise further than the super bowl losses in the 90s under Parcells. Wich bill was on his staff, and then with Carroll.

Giving bill complete control was done becuase Kraft admitted he'd made a mistake not retaining Parcells. Parcells did create a winning culture.

Bill benefited off this. Being a flame out in Cleveland and getting the coach and GM Jon was a gamble by Kraft.

Going 5-11 that 2000 season there was talk of if Kraft made a mistake.

We all know what happened In 2001 and beyond.. Caley should definitely be calling the plays.. it's gotten so bad I have a buddy who is season ticket holder since 97 and he's selling his pass.

The board is complaining about retreads ruining Mac Jones/offense and yet we want another retread in O'Brien to resurface here? The guy's claim to fame was getting into a yelling match with Tom Brady on the sidelines. He was officially the OC for year. No thanks. The team needs new ideas.
Look up the offensive stats that 1 year he was OC.. the offense put up record numbers in all sorts of categories.. I'll take Billy O any day as OC

What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
Back