PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac: "I want to be coached harder"

The fact that the coaching staff has lost a lot of its most reliable and experienced members is a big part of BB having too much on his plate. Defections and retirements have done a lot of damage.

What's more damaging is that those losses have not been replaced adequately, or in many cases at all.

L/L's gone...Cachoo shouldn't be a high-priority signing... Brown will either 1) be our starting RT next season; 2) be our Swing Tackle but only after a pay cut; or 3) be on the waiver wire... Thanksdad shouldn't be playing professional football; he's a slap in Elvis' face, never mind Pat's.

Regarding OLmen, Bill's drafting since 2017 with the exception of Onwenu has been Horrible, and is yet Another reason why he should be NOWHERE ****ING NEAR One Patriot Place during draft weekend.

The interior OL is serviceable, and if Hines and Russey are OK, that area is OK. The tackles are abysmal. Cajuste and Brown can only be backups. Need 2 new guys. I assume our 1st round pick is a tackle.

Some of the coaches that left with Josh jumped at the opportunity as it was becoming too demanding on them.

Bill should've blocked McD from taking Bo Hardegree & even Bricillo with him... Those were just lateral moves in both cases.

I also would've hired Chad O'Shea as OC once Bill O'Brien was out of the picture, to make the transition from McD as seamless as possible... Instead, we get Bill doing his best John Cleese and announcing something Completely Different...

Bill should've blocked McD from taking Bo Hardegree & even Bricillo with him... Those were just lateral moves in both cases.

I also would've hired Chad O'Shea as OC once Bill O'Brien was out of the picture, to make the transition from McD as seamless as possible... Instead, we get Bill doing his best John Cleese and announcing something Completely Different...
That stuff happens. He blocked Caley which is good. I've gotta think he's who they want to be OC next year....the question is do the Krafts? I doubt they thought the offense would be THIS bad. Tall order for a 1st time OC who prob wouldn't get the title.

Unless he wants to put his job in more potential jeopardy he's best served to bring in a proven OC

Last edited:
Historically, I think it's been fine. BB's sphere of influence and authority has worked out well these last ~20 years.

We can all agree having a GOAT at QB made his system execute at an optimal outcome. High-performing, mid-budget franchise QBs make cap, roster, system, game-plan and play-calling decisions a lot easier with a higher margin of error. Just look at the coaches who are lauded for being successful and their corresponding All-Pro QB situation. The man put rosters together and coached teams that went to 9 Super Bowls. His team-building and coaching accomplishments will never be duplicated - ever.

To your point, i've come to the conclusion at 70, BB is simply stretched too thin and can't multi-task like he used to. He needs great coaches and talent around him and he just doesn't have it now. He still has a great football mind but i'm not sure how best that mind should be purposed.

It's interesting...I thought BB did a great job in 2020 with crap Cam and good last year getting back in the playoffs with a rookie QB and an improved roster. This year has been just a confusing, disappointing season and the in-game management has been worst of his era. That is what has been most shocking. The repetitive mistakes. The sloppiness. The lack of innovation. The lack of discipline.

Something needs to change. The team is going in the wrong direction.
Buckley said it well in his article today. The Krafts could tolerate losing seasons while BB pursues Shula but not organizational chaos which is what we’re seeing now. Chaos is a good way to describe what’s happening.

I agree this season is the worst coached season to date in the BB era. I also think BB’s seat isn’t as cold as it used to be. Let’s see how they finish.

That stuff happens. He blocked Caley which is good. I've gotta think he's who they want to be OC next year....the question is do the Krafts? I doubt they thought the offense would be THIS bad. Tall order for a 1st time OC who prob wouldn't get the title.

Unless he wants to put his job in more potential jeopardy he's best served to bring in a proven OC

Caley would've made sense before the season began, having served under McDaniels. How does he pick up the pieces from Patricia's non-system going into next year? I think they need a full re-set a la an experienced guy like BOB. Unless they think Caley is capable of that, which would be a tall order. Fixing this mess will be a pretty big job. It's like the Three Stooges tried to build a house and the whole thing must be demolished, including foundation, blueprints -- all of it.

The more I think about it, they need to give BOB keys to half the kingdom. He and Mac already know each other and that saves a lot of installation time.

Last edited:
Caley would've made sense before the season began, having served under McDaniels. How does he pick up the pieces from Patricia's non-system going into next year? I think they need a full re-set a la an experienced guy like BOB. Unless they think Caley is capable of that, which would be a tall order. Fixing this mess will be a pretty big job.
I'm reminded by something Bill said a couple of years ago. He said (paraphrasing) he's probably too old to lead a complete "from the basement up" rebuild but believed he can be successful here because his program, system, culture and coaches are already in place.

I agree with his thinking but clearly it's not an easy chore. We'll see..

Caley would've made sense before the season began, having served under McDaniels. How does he pick up the pieces from Patricia's non-system going into next year? I think they need a full re-set a la an experienced guy like BOB. Unless they think Caley is capable of that, which would be a tall order. Fixing this mess will be a pretty big job. It's like the Three Stooges tried to build a house and the whole thing must be demolished, including foundation, blueprints -- all of it.

The more I think about it, they need to give BOB keys to half the kingdom. He and Mac already know each other and that saves a lot of installation time.
Yes, but they have got to find the best OL coach they can. Bring Popovich back or whoever they want, but someone who can give his full time to getting them ready.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a fullback come back through the door as the Pats like power running and it's the only thing we're halfway decent at.

Yes, but they have got to find the best OL coach they can. Bring Popovich back or whoever they want, but someone who can give his full time to getting them ready.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a fullback come back through the door as the Pats like power running and it's the only thing we're halfway decent at.
They never should have let Jakob go.

They never should have let Jakob go.
I'm really kind of shocked that they haven't picked up a FB, even on the practice squad, just to improve the run game down the stretch. Seems like a no brainer.

I believe Weis has health problems, doesn't seem he has coached anywhere since leaving Kansas eight years ago. He has a 29-year-old son who is co-OC at Ole Miss.
Great! Bring Junior in. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Tom might even come back here, if we gave him some, any reason to.

I'm really kind of shocked that they haven't picked up a FB, even on the practice squad, just to improve the run game down the stretch. Seems like a no brainer.
It's just a philosophy. Charlie was off/on with the FB. Had Edwards and McCray as the hammers but also liked the guys who could catch like Centers and Pass who were FB in name only. Loved Edwards when he was here.

Josh had that same philosophy. Evans, Develin, etc

Bob did not. They really didn't have a FB.

Not sure who decided Jakob didn't fit in the offense's plans but it was not a good one IMO.

"...Tell us again, grandpa, what averaging 30 points looks like?"
Apparently, according to today's NFL, Gibbs should have dropped Theisman back to pass repeatedly vs. the Dolphins and only had Riggins carry it ten times. They were behind, after all.

Apparently, according to today's NFL, Gibbs should have dropped Theisman back to pass repeatedly vs. the Dolphins and only had Riggins carry it ten times. They were behind, after all.
Those 80's early 90s Redskins (no offense but that was their name) had a GREAT offense. Gibbs was a Gilman/Coryell guy but LOVED his running game.

Right, that's why someone like BOB needs to be brought in and told, "OK, it's YOUR offense to build from the ground-up. Here's the checkbook." That naturally would include hiring components like OL coach and other position coaches. This thing needs to become a smooth-running machine.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back