PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looks like Eric Decker retired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it is. They have the best nonWR receivers in the NFL and the WRs will be fine.
The weapons are not significantly different than what Brady has always had.
If the WR'S play up their peak or close to I'm not worried but we are thin there anyway you look at it.

If the WR'S play up their peak or close to I'm not worried but we are thin there anyway you look at it.
For the first 4 games we are thin but after that we are fine.
WR3 and Wr4 don’t play a ton of snaps (about 24 a game last year combined.) so either Dorsett or Patterson or a combination can be just fine in that role.

With these "weapons"(snicker) and Edelman missing the first 4? Not happening this season.
I could see them starting off the year 0-2 and the media will love it. The game in Jacksonville could be really ugly. I think Brady will be in the low to mid 20’s for TD passes like 2006 and 2013. There’s just too many question marks at WR, RB could be an issue as well as the RT spot.

Think bigger
Bryant? Thomas? Tate? Gordon?
I unfortunately think it’s too late in the game now. I had no problem with them trading Cooks as I assumed they would address that via the Draft or trade but that’s looking like a huge mistake.

At least Bryant is a low risk.

I could see them starting off the year 0-2 and the media will love it. The game in Jacksonville could be really ugly. I think Brady will be in the low to mid 20’s for TD passes like 2006 and 2013. There’s just too many question marks at WR, RB could be an issue as well as the RT spot.

I unfortunately think it’s too late in the game now. I had no problem with them trading Cooks as I assumed they would address that via the Draft or trade but that’s looking like a huge mistake.
Ridley was there for the taking.
Then Kirk
Then Sutton

Patriots were 3rd in the nfl in scoring in 2013.

Patriots were 3rd in the nfl in scoring in 2013.
I know you love your stats but they were totally overmatched against the best team in the AFC that year which was the Broncos.

I know you love your stats but they were totally overmatched against the best team in the AFC that year which was the Broncos.

They were totally overmatched because Vollmer was playing hurt at LT and they didn't have Cannon at RT. And every Pats OLinemen that year with the exception of Andrews missed time due to an injury. They had zero continuity.

The pats really need to stop going after these old receivers.
I agree with you that they should invest some higher round talent at the position (again), but some of these “old” receivers have familiarity in the system and/or have enough NFL experience that it increases their odds of picking up the offense and contributing.

I don’t necessarily blame them for bringing a guy like Decker into the mix during the month of August. Now, if only Jabar Gaffney would come out of retirement...

I wouldn't worry!! The year Denver lost to to Seattle in SB Brady lost Welker hernandez gronk and branch if I'm correct. Lost 4 oh his top targets and still went to the AFC title game with scrubs like thompkins and aron Dropson (edelmans) first year starting. Bill is getting way too cheap by letting playoff amendola and cooks go. It's one thing to let cooks go but amendola was the clutchest Wide out in patriots history. Knowing full well Gronk is 1 hit away from retirement edelman coming off of torn acl and hogan banged up.. I'm hoping Patterson will be bradys #1 wr until edelman gets back. Expect big things from Patterson in the back field punt return game.

They were totally overmatched because Vollmer was playing hurt at LT and they didn't have Cannon at RT. And every Pats OLinemen that year with the exception of Andrews missed time due to an injury. They had zero continuity.

Wrong season.

I wouldn't worry!! The year Denver lost to to Seattle in SB Brady lost Welker hernandez gronk and branch if I'm correct. Lost 4 oh his top targets and still went to the AFC title game with scrubs like thompkins and aron Dropson (edelmans) first year starting. Bill is getting way too cheap by letting playoff amendola and cooks go. It's one thing to let cooks go but amendola was the clutchest Wide out in patriots history. Knowing full well Gronk is 1 hit away from retirement edelman coming off of torn acl and hogan banged up.. I'm hoping Patterson will be bradys #1 wr until edelman gets back. Expect big things from Patterson in the back field punt return game.

You're talking 2013.
- Hernandez was in jail.
- Welker was with Denver after he, Branch, and Hernandez had terrible drops the previous year.
- Branch was toast so it was no surprise the Pats let him walk.
- Gronk went down in the 7th game of the season.

- They had signed Amendola who did nothing in the AFCCG that year.
- They drafted Dobson.

This idea that bill is getting way to cheap is ridiculous. You really think the Patriots would be a good team paying a WR $16M?

Amendola may be clutch in the play-offs, but he gets banged up as well. He only had 1 season of his 5 with NE where he played all 16 regular season games.

Last edited:
Well no matter what, New England always finds ways to win. Leave it to Brady and Belichick. Happy retirement to Eric Decker.

Wrong season.

The only season that the Pats were over-matched against Denver was 2015. That is when Denver's defense carried them. That's the same season the Pats O-line was decimated with injuries.

The Pats weren't over-matches in 2013. 2013 there were a variety of things that worked against the Pats. Including the fact that Gronk was out and that Blount sucked a big fat one.. And Playoff Amendola had a big goose egg that year..

Ridley was there for the taking.
Then Kirk
Then Sutton
Everyone loved Wynn's pick including me but it was hard to expect he would end season with such horrible injury.I would not have taken any of WRs instead of Wynn. Remember that Sony pick was like adding another element of passing game. S*** happens and we should move on. I believe our offense will be fine.

His retirement was predictable, coming in as late as he did and missing all of the other work this team did and despite his "familiarity" with the Pats system he did not "get it" as evidenced by his lack of playing time Friday Night..

If he was in the groove would have seen more of him in last Fridays "dress rehearsal"... if memory serves me he did not even take a snap with #12.

Why not, he has perfected the fade............................................................route.

Yeah, Decker started of kinda slow and then tapered off from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back