PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking Ahead...

Status
Not open for further replies.
my general impression around here was most were down on Brown this year and didn't expect to him to return

how did he play this year?
I felt he was excellent.

I must say that I have not considered the role of Wynn in meeting the need for a faster linebacker (which we always need, in addition to a stud pass rusher).

Yeah, you missed my bigger point and that is there are some reinforcements coming at various positions since that’s what this thread is about :rolleyes:

As long as we keep the O-line intact, and Flowers on D, I'm a happy camper. If Brady remains upright during snaps, we're good for another SB.

For me, the first key is re-signs

Brown
Flowers
Shelton or Brown
Jason McCourty
Jones
=====
the second is potential retirements

Gronkowksi
McCourty
Hightower
==========
the third is the huge deficiency on the team: receivers
The defense was truly awesome. However, scoring 13 points with only one WR with ANY receptions simply is unlikely to cut it. Only one other WR didn't even got any targets.
======
Free agency will likely we about replacement of players that we didn't re-sign. The only hole to be filled in free agency is at receiver.
=========
BOTTOM LINE
We are really, really solid if we re-sign our free agents and no one retires. Restructuring will likely produce the money to sign a free agent or two at wide receiver. Also, the draft should replenish the DL.
I love Belichicks SB week interviews with the tv analysts.
I think it was last year when he made the comment about at this stage he wants to coach players he likes.
Another year he talked about TEAM and how some players really aren’t right in this environment.
Yesterday he discussed how the team changes from year to year because each version has different strengths and weaknesses so they have to play differently. Players ask why they don’t do “this” be auses it’s what we did last year and he explains that we are better at different things this year so we do things differently. Very insightful.

Tom needs to sit all these youngsters considering retirement down or have them out to Montana or something.

my general impression around here was most were down on Brown this year and didn't expect to him to return

how did he play this year?

1. Inconsistent at times
  2. Better than Solder
  3. Improved as the season went on
  4. Well worth keeping, though he may price himself out of town

problem is you don't know what you'll have right away with Wynn.......at this point, I am not comfortable at all with putting a relative unknown as blind side protection for Brady. Maybe tag Brown and buy a year or just sign Brown and put Wynn next to him after next year when Thuney comes up for UFA

Only thing I would say is that Brown switched from RT whereas Flynn played LT at Georgia (and damn well). I get what you are saying and I badly want to keep Brown but I’m sure the team will know a)Wynn’s capabilities and b) their intentions for Wynn enough to make any determination. As I said earlier, if Brown and Flowers stay, I consider that a win (no pun intended). My only disagreement (and that’s too strong a term) is the order of priority which is very slight.

Only thing I would say is that Brown switched from RT whereas Flynn played LT at Georgia (and damn well). I get what you are saying and I badly want to keep Brown but I’m sure the team will know a)Wynn’s capabilities and b) their intentions for Wynn enough to make any determination. As I said earlier, if Brown and Flowers stay, I consider that a win (no pun intended). My only disagreement (and that’s too strong a term) is the order of priority which is very slight.

I hear ya........the LT position has been more consistent than DE....Brown is only really the 4th starting LT the pats have had since 1987......they do like to stick with what works

Any chance Hogan returns? Honestly, he's going to get a raise from someone. And he just doesn't get enough separation consistently.

Any chance Hogan returns? Honestly, he's going to get a raise from someone. And he just doesn't get enough separation consistently.

He’s been a good soldier but I do hope they find a way to upgrade at his position. It’s about the only thing this offense needs (a consistently healthy TE too probably-not writing Gronk off but there are certainly question marks after this season)

Last edited:
We need to look at receivers -

There's no real guys in FA at the moment that look like a real defined wideout.

I think we will look at the Draft for the receivers.

The only true #1 WR in this year is DK Metcalf - Could be unreal if he tests well.

Riley Ridley - He's my ideal Patriot Type Receiver, he's the younger brother of Calvin Ridley. Very good RR, Solid Hands, Can line up Outside and in the slot. Quicker than he looks. Good size as well.

TJ Hockenson - could become Gronk 2.0

Noah Fant - Evan Engram with better blocking.

@BaconGrundleCandy is the man to talk to about the WRs as is @reamer

Looking at vet receivers possibly available:

Cole Beasley-Looks unlikely to return to Dallas. Yeah he's a wide short shifty receiver, he'd fit well. Good route runner, great hands, really good at contorting his body in the air like Amendola.

Amendola himself-Speculation Miami could cut him, they apparently are tanking.

Emmanual Sanders-Denver would save ten mill by cutting him, toughs as nails, can line up anywhere, great hands. He's basically Edelman but, a little faster. Would love love love to get him. He congratulated Tom on IG, maybe he's a fan?

After yesterday performance i hope not.

FAs I'd like to see brought back:

Gostkowski
Patterson
Allen
Simon
Jones
Flowers
Hill (chance to compete for spot sort of deal)
Dorsett (unless there's an issue there that hasn't been made public)

The rest of the FA group are guys I'd either let walk or consider dependent upon other options (For example, I look at a McCourty return as dependent upon both the possibility of another CB being drafted high and the team's opinion of Dawson for 2019).

You mean Wynn?

On offence they are set at RB and online and of course QB, they need to get a TE regardless of what Gronkowski does and definitely need a couple of WR who can get separation and play outside the numbers.
On d they need a pass rusher and that’s it if they can keep the nucleus together. Re sign Flowers and hope the twins come back!

Looking at vet receivers possibly available:

Cole Beasley-Looks unlikely to return to Dallas. Yeah he's a wide short shifty receiver, he'd fit well. Good route runner, great hands, really good at contorting his body in the air like Amendola.

Amendola himself-Speculation Miami could cut him, they apparently are tanking.

Emmanual Sanders-Denver would save ten mill by cutting him, toughs as nails, can line up anywhere, great hands. He's basically Edelman but, a little faster. Would love love love to get him. He congratulated Tom on IG, maybe he's a fan?

Other possibilities:

Golden Tate
Adam Humphries
Tyrell Williams
Maybe Jamison Crowder

Please no antonio brown. We’ve never won a SB with a stud 1200 yard+ receiver...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes