PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking Ahead...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a deep threat at receiver. Can't rely on one guy (Edelman) to do everything. Need another pass rusher too. I believe BB will be very active this offseason.

This year was special. And it was special because nothing came easy for them. They fought adversity all season long. Very proud of them.

Priority #1 - re-sign Trent Brown
Priority #2 - re - sign Trey Flowers
Love both, but think both will command too much $$$... maybe Flowers on tag for one more run.

My first pass on off-season needs, not in any order:
  • Replace Gronk. Yes, I know he's not officially retired. He's either gonna retire or they will ask him to take a cut in pay. either way, IMO, he's done in foxboro.
  • Replace Hogan. He can't get open, and Brady needs another option at WR.
  • Younger and faster at LB.
  • Address the McCourty situation. Big shoes to fill.
  • Gostkowski. I don't know if I want to pay him 4 x 17m to miss kicks in the SB.
I am sure I have more, but this is what I feel at 11am , the Monday after the SUPER BOWL WIN !

Love both, but think both will command too much $$$... maybe Flowers on tag for one more run.

The 2019 cap cost of signing both Flowers and Brown is about $15M, doable IMHO (see Miguel for details on possible contracts).

The 2019 cap cost of signing both Flowers and Brown is about $15M, doable IMHO (see Miguel for details on possible contracts).
I think they are gone.

I would change the order, but agreed, would consider the off-season a success if both came back. I have a soft spot for Patterson too.

I know what you're saying, but if they can't protect Brady, it won't matter who's at DE

they are both 25 years old.....longer deals could lower that first year hit but even at 15M for the 2, it's not so bad

I know what you're saying, but if they can't protect Brady, it won't matter who's at DE

I wonder what the plan is for Wynn though. If they see him fitting at LT then that might lessen the need for re-signing Brown. Don’t get me wrong, I would love them both back, it’s a 1a and 1b priority ranking for me but because of Wynn, I give the edge to Flowers. That’s all.

I would love to get faster at LB. And don't forget about Isaiah Wynn!

I must say that I have not considered the role of Wynn in meeting the need for a faster linebacker (which we always need, in addition to a stud pass rusher).

I wonder what the plan is for Wynn though. If they see him fitting at LT then that might lessen the need for re-signing Brown. Don’t get me wrong, I would love them both back, it’s a 1a and 1b priority ranking for me but because of Wynn, I give the edge to Flowers. That’s all.

I agree. If we are to keep one, the one clearly should be Flowers.

Alos, I agree with the advantage of having three starter quality OT's.

Really like White but would require a hefty trade up. He’d be an incredible LB here.

Renfrow as a eventual replacement for Edelman makes sense.

Meh, too early to be talking about this. Gonna soak it in for a little bit and then start getting into the draft and free agency once this euphoria subsides a bit.

problem is you don't know what you'll have right away with Wynn.......at this point, I am not comfortable at all with putting a relative unknown as blind side protection for Brady. Maybe tag Brown and buy a year or just sign Brown and put Wynn next to him after next year when Thuney comes up for UFA

Tell me that the team is keeping Brown, Flowers and Gronk, and I'll pencil them in, right now, for another Super Bowl appearance next year. Tell me that they're also going to find a legit OWR1 or OWR2, and I'll be tempted to use ink rather than pencil.

I think Brown, Gronk, McCourty's are gone. Flowers will re-sign or get tagged. Clayborn and Allen get cut.

I wonder how much of a factor that Flores is now a HC in Miami will be losing free agents to him. Will Flowers prefer to play for him, with his inside knowledge does he try to poach other Patriot free agents.

my general impression around here was most were down on Brown this year and didn't expect to him to return

how did he play this year?

Tell me that the team is keeping Brown, Flowers and Gronk, and I'll pencil them in, right now, for another Super Bowl appearance next year. Tell me that they're also going to find a legit OWR1 or OWR2, and I'll be tempted to use ink rather than pencil.

I'd add keeping the McCourty twins.

The future's bright for next year. I think that the main cause of concern comes in 3-4 years, but so much will change by then! Let's enjoy what we just did, but also think about the next 1-2 years.

Our team shouldn't have a crazy amount of turnover in free agency. We should be able to sign the key guys and have replacements in place for those departing - Trent Brown for example perhaps. The secondary will remain excellent. Our DL will likely go through the biggest overhaul, but if we can keep Trey Flowers and the better or cheaper of Shelton/Brown we should be solid. LB core will be good AND we get Bentley back.

Offense shouldn't be too bad. OL will remain near the top regardless of Brown - we have Wynn in the back. The back end of the WR core will be subject to change, but if we're being serious here, they weren't really relevant for most of the playoffs. As long as we have Edelman, we have a good shot. The TE position will take the biggest hit, but we've shown in the past that we don't need a HoF-type TE to win games - this year and 2016 proved that. Hopefully we get a good replacement for Gronk and/or Allen. RB position should be just as strong next year w/ the development of Michel likely. Brady won't get any worse.

Remember to factor in basically the ENTIRE 2017 draft class coming back with a year of learning.

This includes Isaiah Wynn, Duke Dawson (basically...), JaWhaun Bentley, Braxton Berrios, Ryan Izzo, and Christian Sam. That by itself is a good group of added players!

Then factor in a 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd... and you get the drift. This isn't the 2018 Los Angeles Rams that mortgaged the future for 1-2 years of having a bunch of top-tier talent on the roster. This is a team that will be adding a LOT of young players next season and doesn't have a single position outside of TE that will be hurt this offseason. The future looks bright boys.
There are a lot of players on this roster who contributed little or nothing that have a chance to develop into good players. Most are on defense.
Wynn
Rivers
Ofaluma (sp)
Davis
Bentley
Dawson
Crossen (although I am not high in him at all
Obi

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection