PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JOSH GORDON REINSTATED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you overestimate how many people have willpower.
We have a nation full of people who smoke, are overweight, and/or struggle to have the discipline to apply themselves to a career and succeed.

I think once you truly hit a new low (or rock bottom or whatever you wanna call it) you have all the motivation and willpower in the world. Until it is not there anymore and you fall back into old patterns.

I mean we are essentially talking about chronic situations and not something of choice at this point.

I'm not sure how nicotine or cigarettes compares to other drugs but stating that it's a "lifelong" struggle seems a bit misleading. Yes it is a struggle to quit an addiction and may take numerous efforts but the first year is most definitely the toughest. The subsequent years become easier and easier to the point that cigarettes become an afterthought. No real mental battles like the first year iow. But I do agree that any slip up or moment of weakness can put you at square one or reawaken the struggle.

The slip up / moment of weakness returning you to square one is what makes it a lifelong struggle from my point of view.

There is no "just one drink", "just one hit" ect. anymore. On good days that might be easy, on average days sometimes a fight but on bad days -- and we all have those -- really a struggle.

I think once you truly hit a new low (or rock bottom or whatever you wanna call it) you have all the motivation and willpower in the world. Until it is not there anymore and you fall back into old patterns.

I mean we are essentially talking about chronic situations and not something of choice at this point.
We may define will power differently. To me waiting until you hit rock bottom means you don’t have will power as does falling back into the same habits.

In other words the guy who eats himself to 300 lbs THEN goes on a diet is exhibiting a lack of will power by getting there not demonstrating he has will power by finally doing something about. And losing it then gaining it right back also shows lack of will power.

Last edited by a moderator:
We at define will power differently. To me waiting until you hit rock bottom means you don’t have will power as does falling back into the same habits.

In other words the guy who eats himself to 300 lbs THEN goes on a diet is exhibiting a lack of will power by getting there not demonstrating he has will power by finally doing sobering about. And losing it then gaining it right back also shows lack of will power.

That is the thing though. You don't have the power to do anything about it. Truly admitting that you are not in control is the hardest aspect of everything connected to addiction. As long as you think "I have it under control" odds are you will always find yourself back at the same spot. And none of it has to do with willpower.

Hell, it hits the wealthiest people the same way it hits poor people. People that own expensive boats, cars or art also succumb to it. The reality is that usually the addiction is just symptom for whatever depression or other issue people have.

I really think people are often substantially under appreciating how little agency there is for the affected. A little more empathy would go a long way..

That is the thing though. You don't have the power to do anything about it. Truly admitting that you are not in control is the hardest aspect of everything connected to addiction. As long as you think "I have it under control" odds are you will always find yourself back at the same spot. And none of it has to do with willpower.

Hell, it hits the wealthiest people the same way it hits poor people. People that own expensive boats, cars or art also succumb to it. The reality is that usually the addiction is just symptom for whatever depression or other issue people have.

I really think people are often substantially under appreciating how little agency there is for the affected. A little more empathy would go a long way..
In some cases that is true in others it is not. Like everything else in life everyone who does something isn’t doing for the same reason.

My guess is there will be a CBA extension before the 2019 season begins.
You think that both sides are going to hammer out a new CBA in the next few weeks? I think we’d all be quite surprised. They’ve basically just begun negotiations.

Yeah, and you won’t lose weight if you’re in a huge caloric surplus from eating tons of almonds
Yep.

To the first level it really is as simple as "to lose weight you need calories in < calories burned". There's no way around that. It's fundamental physics.

So if you're munching on that handful of almonds you're going to gain more weight (or lose less weight) then if you're drinking that can of Coke, all things being equal.

However, it is also absolutely true that some foods are more filling per calorie than other foods, and so even if the food has more calories than something else, it can better satiate you and result in you eating enough less other things so that total calories in for the day is nevertheless lower than it would have been if you didn't switch to that higher calorie, but more filling food.

And of course that's even before considering the relatively healthiness. Something with more calories per unit mass can absolutely be healthier (in aspects other than weight) than something with less.

Was it ever reported what Gordon tested positive for?

Was it ever reported what Gordon tested positive for?
We'll never know the truth.
The NFL is not allowed to say. So all you have is what the player chooses to say, which of course is almost always chosen to put the player in the best possible light (which is why most PED suspensions are, haha, for adderall and most substance abuse suspensions are, haha, for weed).

We'll never know the truth.
The NFL is not allowed to say. So all you have is what the player chooses to say, which of course is almost always chosen to put the player in the best possible light (which is why most PED suspensions are, haha, for adderall and most substance abuse suspensions are, haha, for weed).

And the 'it's only weed' crowd eats that bleep up with a spoon.
If the new CBA either eliminates weed from the banned list or places the threshold testing limit so high it effectively does it will be interesting to see how many suspensions happen and how they'll be justified.

So, I just ate an Almond Joy candy bar, washed it down with a soda, then smoked a joint.

Really gotta stop reading these threads.
I've recently read somewhere about almonds...so after I smoke I use my Classic Coke to wash down my Mounds bars...

I still eat potato chips. Ain't giving those up. If I was overweight I'd consider it :p
There seem to be much healthier alternatives, these days. Less saturated fats, etc.

I've recently read somewhere about almonds...so after I smoke I use my Classic Coke to wash down my Mounds bars...

Ah, you're one of those health nuts, aren't you?

Serious question: how will the NFL decide whether or when to reinstate? Anything besides Goodell’s mood?

There seem to be much healthier alternatives, these days. Less saturated fats, etc.
Yea I eat the reduced fat and salt Kettle ones.

Serious question: how will the NFL decide whether or when to reinstate? Anything besides Goodell’s mood?

0085633070996_a1c1_0600.png

In other words the guy who eats himself to 300 lbs THEN goes on a diet is exhibiting a lack of will power by getting there not demonstrating he has will power by finally doing something about. And losing it then gaining it right back also shows lack of will power.

This presupposes that the person cares about their weight gain on the road to hitting 300.

It's entirely possible to get fat without wishing you weren't every step of the way. Some people just truly don't care.

Keep it simple...Josh needs to stay sober

That’s it, period. All the rest is secondary

No addict can blame anyone or anything for their affliction. All we can do is take responsibility for our sobriety.

Having said that, it’s not easy trying to live a sober life in our world. Some of your points are valid and true. But having been blessed to have lived a sober life for a long time, we don’t get angry over the things you mentioned.

The mantra of a sober person is total acceptance of all that is and will be. We stop fighting “the system” and just focus on sobriety and gratitude

Glad you wrote that, it's an important perspective.
I'm not really concerned with Josh as an individual. I'm looking more at the decisions we've made regarding social system design here. I agree that an addict who gets wrapped up in that, prior to getting sober, is avoiding their own issues.

I still eat potato chips. Ain't giving those up. If I was overweight I'd consider it :p

There are some decent alternatives. Paprika zucchini chips from the air fryer help me not miss Cape Cod chips. Well, I'll always miss them but I can deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back