PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Gordon: finishes rehab, hopes to be reinstated before week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
other than the fact that Michael Floyd didnt spend 2+ years not playing football because of his issues?

That is a good point but we know what Gordon is capable of.

Whether he can do it again here or anywhere else is a legitimate question.

I wouldn't call that a rule, more like an exception. Didn't consider him because I don't typical consider alcohol within 'substance abuse'.

At least Gordon had the good sense to pass out in the Taco Bell parking lot rather than at a traffic light.

I wouldn't call that a rule, more like an exception. Didn't consider him because I don't typical consider alcohol within 'substance abuse'.

I consider alcohol a substance but thats irrelevant.

I agree. It's not a rule in which the team clearly states if a player has a alcohol or drug problem they will sign them and let them play. Like anything, I think the Patriots look at each situation on a case-by-case basis. With Floyd, they were "OK" with his situation meaning that there was little long-term risk associated to acquiring his rights and they were comfortable enough with any/all assurances that he would put his best foot forward to help the team.

I really don't see the issue with taking a flyer on Gordon. The cost will be minimal. The consequences will be minimal, but the rewards could be huge for great cost control.

BB has a history of taking risks with troubled players

Stallworth
Talib
Dennard
Moss
Haynesworth
Hernandez
Spikes
Willie Andrews
Dillon
Floyd
Kasckur
Faulk

All of these men got into serious legal trouble or were charged with substance abuse

Last edited:
He hasn't played football in what, 4 years? What on earth makes anyone think that he can still perform at a high level?
gordons-alive-o.gif

Bb has signed or kept players who have gotten into just as much doo doo as Gordon

1. 2010 - found passed out in a car with a teammate and pot...suspended from Baylor
2. 2011 - fails a drug test and is kicked off the team (Baylor)
3. 2013 - 1st NFL substance abuse violation...2 game suspension
4. July 2014 - arrested for DWI...2nd substance abuse violation...1 year suspension (reduced to 10 games)
5. Dec 2014 - suspended by the Browns for violating team rules
6. 2015 - 3rd substance abuse violation...suspended for 1 year by NFL
7. 2016 - application for reinstatement denied due to failing a drug test
8. 2017 - enters rehab

yes...what a poor mistreated and persecuted soul he is...

Z-E-R-O sympathy for any player that doesn't learn touching a hot stove will burn you.

and FYI, 7...count them... 7 times getting busted for violating substance abuse policies and being kicked off 2 separate teams is not "an honest mistake"

saying Josh Gordon just made an honest mistake is like saying Antonio Cromartie has a good pull out game...
You missed at least two other rehab stints in '16 and '14.

The fact remains that people continue to try to spin it as if there is some gray area to Josh Gordon being one of the biggest idiots in the history of the league.

"One drink," lol. I guess Roger Goodell just wants to keep the god damned Cleveland Browns down and out. It's a conspiracy. Every time he applies for reinstatement, all we hear about are more failed tests and his latest stay in a new rehab facility.

Bb has signed or kept players who have gotten into just as much doo doo as Gordon
Please list them. No one has blown through as many chances as Gordon, and it's not even close.

I was thinking more in the likes of Fitzgerald. I think he's a smart guy and he would excel in this offense. I would give up a 5th for him. That's assuming the cardinals will go down the tubes this season.
Damn, might as well make us patsfans go totally nuts and bring in Fitz AND Gordon.

I really don't see the issue with taking a flyer on Gordon. The cost will be minimal. The consequences will be minimal, but the rewards could be huge for great cost control.

BB has a history of taking risks with troubled players

Stallworth
Talib
Dennard
Moss
Haynesworth
Hernandez
Spikes
Willie Andrews
Dillon
Floyd
Kasckur
Faulk

All of these men got into serious legal trouble or were charged with substance abuse
None of these players were suspended by the NFL for years at a time, with 6-7-8 different offenses and many rehab stays.

And did Stallworth even do anything prior to being a Patriot? His offense occurred well after leaving the team. He shouldn't be on the list, should he? Most of these players got in trouble one time.

None of these players were suspended by the NFL for years at a time, with 6-7-8 different offenses and many rehab stays.

And did Stallworth even do anything prior to being a Patriot? His offense occurred well after leaving the team. He shouldn't be on the list, should he? Most of these players got in trouble one time.

We signed stallworth in 2012 3 years after he killed someone

He served a prison sentence. I'd say that's worse than being suspended from the NFL

We signed stallworth in 2012 3 years after he killed someone

He served a prison sentence. I'd say that's worse than being suspended from the NFL
Stallworth was initially here in 2007, and brought back for ONE game in 2012 due to his familiarity. Stop with the nonsense.

Anyway, it's still not a good example because he had one incident that was an accident. Josh Gordon gets into new trouble every year and has been doing so since high school/college.

Stallworth was initially here in 2007, and brought back for ONE game in 2012 due to his familiarity. Stop with the nonsense.

Anyway, it's still not a good example because he had one incident that was an accident. Josh Gordon gets into new trouble every year and has been doing so since high school/college.

We brought back a guy convicted of dui manslaughter. Far worse than Gordon smoking a little dope and being an alcoholic. That's not nonsense

We've signed guys who have committed far worse crimes than Gordon. Stallworth being one of them

I will list them

We brought back a guy convicted of dui manslaughter. Far worse than Gordon smoking a little dope and being an alcoholic. That's not nonsense

We've signed guys who have committed far worse crimes than Gordon. Stallworth being one of them

I will list them
You are comparing situations that couldn't really be more different.

Stallworth was already well know here in 2007, had one negative incident, and was brought back for one game as a short term depth addition.

Gordon has been a habitual offender just about every single year from his days at Baylor, quit on his team by refusing to show up, is in and out of rehab all the time, puts all of his personal issues before football, and has a SERIOUS drug problem--even if you want to minimize the specific substances as "just" weed and alcohol.

If Gordon were to get his life in order, prove that he can actually stay on the football field for awhile etc, then Belichick may give him a chance. Any talk of it now is completely and totally asinine.

You are comparing situations that couldn't really be more different.

Stallworth was already well know here in 2007, had one negative incident, and was brought back for one game as a short term depth addition.

Gordon has been a habitual offender just about every single year from his days at Baylor, quit on his team by refusing to show up, is in and out of rehab all the time, puts all of his personal issues before football, and has a SERIOUS drug problem--even if you want to minimize the specific substances as "just" weed and alcohol.

If Gordon were to get his life in order, prove that he can actually stay on the football field for awhile etc, then Belichick may give him a chance. Any talk of it now is completely and totally asinine.

I work in law enforcement. Killing someone while driving drunk is a lot worse crime than being a habitual drug user. We signed a player convicted of manslaughter. Gordon doesn't have anywhere near close to that on his record. He's certainly no Boy Scout, and has attitude and drug issues, but never committed a crime on the level of above.

Don't forget about aqib Talib. Assaulted a taxi driver in 2009, then fired a gun at his sisters boyfriend in 2011. Again a serious crime. we traded for him in 2012

Corey Dillon. Committed domestic violence on his wife in 2000. We traded for him in 2004. A far more serious crime

Alfonzo Dennard served a sentence for punching a police officer. We drafted him

Haynesworth left a man paralyzed after crashing his vehicle going over 100 mph. He also was charged with assault and battery after punching a man in the face in a road rage incident .

Far more serious crimes were committed here, and yet the patriots signed these guys

Randy moss not only had a prior criminal history, admitted marijuana history dating back to high school. But also attitude issues. We traded for him

Agree NG, the fact is alot of the test things he has had and failed is because Gordon isn't even allowed a sip of alcohol. So it doesn't even mean he drinks in excess most of the time. Damn, he could have a sherry trifle for desert and fail a test, that's how ridiculous his situation is.

I'd sign him, and wouldn't look back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand