PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy G over 380 yards today (week 15)

I’ve never understood the hesitancy in giving up picks for established young players. Maybe established is a stretch for Jimmy because it was only a couple games but it was still more NFL games than a first year college player.
If anything, the Jimmy G. trade demonstrates why the 49ers remain a top shelf organization in the NFL. While I still maintain Jimmy G. is a risk to injury because of his smaller frame, for a second rounder he is a steal.

The 49ers have struggled in recent seasons, but they are still a smart organization overall that can rise as a dynasty in coming years in a conference with inconsistent frontrunners (unlike the AFC with the Pats and Steelers always in the hunt). If Jimmy stays healthy, we might even see a Super Bowl showdown between him and Brady in a year or two.

Just think what the Cleveland Browns could have achieved with Jimmy G., Josh Gordon, and Kenny Britt. Instead, Jimmy being dealt to the 49ers place them in prime position to ascend their division next season as the Seahawks flounder, Cardinals rebuild, and Rams likely fall back down to earth with a tougher schedule.

If anything, the Jimmy G. trade demonstrates why the 49ers remain a top shelf organization in the NFL. While I still maintain Jimmy G. is a risk to injury because of his smaller frame, for a second rounder he is a steal.

The 49ers have struggled in recent seasons, but they are still a smart organization overall that can rise as a dynasty in coming years in a conference with inconsistent frontrunners (unlike the AFC with the Pats and Steelers always in the hunt). If Jimmy stays healthy, we might even see a Super Bowl showdown between him and Brady in a year or two.

Just think what the Cleveland Browns could have achieved with Jimmy G., Josh Gordon, and Kenny Britt. Instead, Jimmy being dealt to the 49ers place them in prime position to ascend their division next season as the Seahawks flounder, Cardinals rebuild, and Rams likely fall back down to earth with a tougher schedule.

The Jimmy G. trade demonstrates the value of not being the Browns, being an NFC team when this trade opened up, and having Brian Hoyer available to "trade". It doesn't really demonstrate anything else about the 49ers as an organization.

The guy is thin and small for today's league. As with Tony Romo, seasons and careers can end as the result of not having the size and strength to survive the weekly beatings that are part and parcel of playing quarterback in the NFL. Perhaps you disagree with my "eye test" approach to durability, but I just can't see Jimmy holding up to the hits guys like Brady and Big Ben have managed to overcome their whole careers.
jimmy-garoppolo-shirtless.jpg

Thin. Right. Note that this is BEFORE he came into the league.

Also:

Tom-Brady-shirtless-02-15-15.jpg

Right before he came into the league.

The Jimmy G. trade demonstrates the value of not being the Browns, being an NFC team when this trade opened up, and having Brian Hoyer available to "trade". It doesn't really demonstrate anything else about the 49ers as an organization.
Considering they were the team willing to part with only a second rounder for a guy who looked like a winner, I'd say they come out looking pretty smart.

If they aren't smart, why didn't 1/2 the league come offering a high 2nd rounder or low 1st rounder for Jimmy? I would have thought teams like Chicago, Arizona, and the New York Giants would have offered any pick to get a guy who could quickly turn things around.

jimmy-garoppolo-shirtless.jpg

Thin. Right. Note that this is BEFORE he came into the league.
I'll give you him being built, but he still is small in frame compared to the league average. I guess we can agree to disagree, but I wouldn't bank on him lasting a full 16 game season without going down for a handful of games. This picture proves he isn't flabby like a 42 year old Brett Favre, but doesn't do anything to change his size relative to other quarterbacks.

I'll give you him being built, but he still is small in frame compared to the league average. I guess we can agree to disagree, but I wouldn't bank on him lasting a full 16 game season without going down for a handful of games. This picture proves he isn't flabby like a 42 year old Brett Favre, but doesn't do anything to change his size relative to other quarterbacks.
Yes, he's a couple of inches shorter than Brady and a couple of inches taller than Brees. That doesn't make him small in frame. It makes him a couple of inches shorter than Brady. He clearly ISN'T small in 'frame'. There have been plenty of QBs who survived at 6'2".

I’ve never understood the hesitancy in giving up picks for established young players.
It's because it's a salary capped league.

Sure, there's more talent certainty with a vet, but you pay big $$$ for that relative to draftees, who are cheap, cheap, cheap on their first contract.

Yes, he's a couple of inches shorter than Brady and a couple of inches taller than Brees. That doesn't make him small in frame. It makes him a couple of inches shorter than Brady. He clearly ISN'T small in 'frame'. There have been plenty of QBs who survived at 6'2".
Obviously, the Patriots thought it better to keep Brady for 2-3 seasons of decent play versus 8-10 years with Jimmy G. Considering Jimmy had played lights out when he did start, I'd put my money on the Pats questioning his durability. Otherwise, why not deal Brady considering Jimmy has more long-term upside? My money is on the team not trusting his size as the NFL gets larger and more physical with each passing year. Brees is an anomaly in terms of size... heck, even Brady is small compared to the most sought after prospects.

I'm so proud of and happy for him.

Considering they were the team willing to part with only a second rounder for a guy who looked like a winner, I'd say they come out looking pretty smart.

I'd say that they were lucky to be the "not the Browns" team that was in the NFC and had Brian Hoyer. It's pretty obvious from the reportage that those were important traits.

If they aren't smart, why didn't 1/2 the league come offering a high 2nd rounder or low 1st rounder for Jimmy? I would have thought teams like Chicago, Arizona, and the New York Giants would have offered any pick to get a guy who could quickly turn things around.

According to reports, teams asking in the offseason, including the 49ers, were told that JAG wasn't available. Also, according to reports, it was the Patriots calling the 49ers for the trade, and not the other way around.

It was not about some greatness of the 49ers organization. The organization had been a dumpster fire since Harbaugh left.

An interview from ESPN’s Adam Schefter offered one theory: The Patriots apparently didn’t want to send him to Cleveland, where quarterbacks’ careers die. Schefter said once the Patriots figured out a couple days before the deadline they had to trade Garoppolo (I’m not sure why it took that long; the writing was on the wall for a long time), they reached out to the 49ers even though the Browns had tried “over and over” in the spring to get Garoppolo and tried again in the fall but got nowhere.

“‘We have to trade him, and we’ve got to trade him here in the next two days. Where do we want to trade him? I like John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan. I think they’re going to do right by Jimmy G. Let’s call them.”“In this particular case, New England came to the realization before it made any calls, ‘Ok, unfortunately for us, as much as we want to keep Jimmy Garoppolo, we can’t,’ ” Schefter said on the “Murph & Mac” show on KNBR (h/t to 49ers Web Zone). “‘We have to trade him, and we’ve got to trade him here in the next two days. Where do we want to trade him? I like John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan. I think they’re going to do right by Jimmy G. Let’s call them.”

Schefter said the Patriots called the 49ers to pitch the trade and it took five minutes to get it done, which makes sense because the 49ers got a steal. San Francisco had to be shocked it fell in its lap like that. Schefter said he thinks the Patriots reached out to the 49ers because of Bill Belichick’s respect for Garoppolo, and his respect for 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan and their GM John Lynch.

Patriots wanted to 'do right' by Jimmy Garoppolo, so they didn't trade him to Browns

Bill Belichick clarifies Jimmy Garoppolo trade rumors from April
So, not the greatness of the organization, although I'd forgotten about the "I like John/Kyle" part.

According to reports, teams asking in the offseason, including the 49ers, were told that JAG wasn't available. Also, according to reports, it was the Patriots calling the 49ers for the trade, and not the other way around.
Good points all around. What's strange, if this is true, is that the Patriots wouldn't have said publicly that Jimmy was open to trade a week before the deadline and let everyone bid for his talents. I can't see why we wouldn't start a bidding war, with AFC teams like the Browns having to give the farm to afford him. Honestly, dealing Jimmy to the Browns would have been nice if only because it could ensure they could give the Steelers and Ravens more of a fight each season.

I've never gotten why there aren't more conditional picks.

Trade Garappolo for a 2nd, but for X starts or Y wins, or Z playoff games or a Super Bowl appearance (or whatever) over the next 1 or 2 years we get an additional conditional pick.

49s pay nothing or little if he's just another guy and shouldn't mind paying another first, second or whatever if he's their next franchise qb.

I am sure the team that tries to ruthlessly improve their team at every possible avenue just gave away JG without trying to get more. This must have been how it happened.

The reality is it takes two to tango and a) we obviously wanted to avoid AFC teams, b) JG could essentially veto teams by saying he wont sign an extension there and c) everyone knew the Pats couldnt franchise him. It was the perfect storm of things that made him available for less.

The irony is the people who are *****ing about how we should have kept him are angry at the return value even though the team tried the hardest to find a way to keep him.

I can't see why we wouldn't start a bidding war, with AFC teams like the Browns having to give the farm to afford him. Honestly, dealing Jimmy to the Browns would have been nice if only because it could ensure they could give the Steelers and Ravens more of a fight each season.

Because if you believe a QB can actually be good-to-great you want to move him outside your own conference.

JG and Yee could have easily vetod a trade to a team like the Browns or Arizona by saying he wont sign a franchise tender / extension there. Curran had a great summary podcast on QuickSlants at the beginning of November about the situation.

Not sure why you have Chicago here when they just traded up in one of the most ******ed draft day trades in a long time to get their QB.

I am happy for Jimmy. I was a huge fan of his but we made the best of the situation. It would have been cruel to send him to the Browns lol.

I honestly think BB could draft another Jimmy when the opportunity comes. He wasn't a first round pick. It seems we excel at picking overlooked quarterbacks.

Drew Brees

Fools for not franchising him and making him the starter in 2019. I don't care how lights out Tom is playing, he's in his 40's

Feel the same way. But the homers will never agree.

Who is the best player in the league?

Jags and Rams next ... Let's see what he can do ...
That reminds me a lot like RGIII season.
1. Teams are not used to play against him.
2. 49rs Played against 3 bad teams.

Bryan Hoyer team was able to put 39 points on this Rams team ... Let's see what JG can do...

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back