PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy G over 380 yards today (week 15)

Cassel did it for a non playoff team.

And like Cassel, JG isn't exactly beating the top teams in the league. And Cassel showed he wasn't good enough to beat the few good teams he did play.

Either way - after the Pats select a new QB I doubt there will be a lot of people wishing JG was still here. I've seen nothing to date from him to make me think otherwise.
That's disingenuous. It was a non-playoff team because it had Cassel at QB. The same team went 16-0 the previous year.

That's disingenuous. It was a non-playoff team because it had Cassel at QB. The same team went 16-0 the previous year.

The defensive decline also started in 2008. They went from very good to average. The offense couldn't get it done anymore either against good teams. In fact with Brady back in 09 they won fewer games than they did in 08. The defense continued to decline and so did the offense.

The point is if we're going to talk up JG throwing for 380 on a below average team, I think it's fair to give the same benefit of the doubt to Cassel on a declining team.

I doubt the move was calculated. It’s more likely that the Krafts made it clear that Brady was not to be traded.

That is disconcerting if BB and company thought trading TB was the right move and Kraft stopped it.

By the end of the year the 2008 Pats team was probably the No. 2 team in the NFL. Only the Steelers might have been better.

The point is if we're going to talk up JG throwing for 380 on a below average team, I think it's fair to give the same benefit of the doubt to Cassel on a declining team.

Are you seriously saying that the 2016 49ers offense JG plays with is on par with the 2008 Patriots offense (Moss/Welker) Cassel got to play with?

Stop it.

It shows you that Belichick has a good eye for evaluating talent. Probably has a good team of evaporators around him too. They recognized his quick release and took Jimmy before others.

It doesn't really show that. It shows that they seem to have hit on a good (or better) player. But, when you try talking about general QB evaluation, you get into the likes of Mallett and O'Connell, and that shifts the equation, even as Cassel and Hoyer move the needle more to the good, as well. That's not a knock on BB, either. QB is a difficult position to get right, regardless of when you pick, and there's too small a sample size to give BB a fair grade on making those picks.

Of course, the mic drop is "Brady, round 6".

Someone/s in the Patriots organization (i.e., Belichick and/or Kraft) made a judgment and a decision after Brady excelled throughout the first eight weeks of the season and just before the Trade deadline:

The judgment was that, barring major injury, Tom Brady gave the Patriots a better chance of being competitive this season, next season and probably the season thereafter than Garoppolo or anyone else they could realistically add to the Roster in the immediate future.

The decision was that, since it would be impossible from any practical point of view to carry two Franchise-level QB salaries, they would try to get as much for Garoppolo as they could in a Trade and let the chips fall where they may by going with the guy who brought them to nine AFCCG's, seven SB appearances and five Rings. (Whether or not they didn't want to trade him in the Conference or decided not to condemn him to the Cleveland Dumpster Fire is purely a matter of speculation.)

Only time will tell whether that was the right judgment and decision, but, FWIW, it is the decision I would have made.

I doubt the move was calculated. It’s more likely that the Krafts made it clear that Brady was not to be traded.

I doubt they had to, Belichick isn’t stupid and trading Brady was only something complete morons would consider doing.

Are you seriously saying that the 2016 49ers offense JG plays with is on par with the 2008 Patriots offense (Moss/Welker) Cassel got to play with?

Stop it.

Not saying that at all. But yes I think it's fair to give Cassel that same benefit of the doubt playing on a declining team for putting up big numbers against a weak team.

Frankly, I think it's kind of hilarious that the Patriots won one of the bigger regular season games in recent memory thanks to a clutch drive by our QB and offense...and instead of enjoying it - a few posters are still wringing their hands over a QB who is no longer on the team, wasn't particularly "amazing" when he was here, and wishing he was still here because he did well against some awful competition.

I doubt they had to, Belichick isn’t stupid and trading Brady was only something complete morons would consider doing.

Brady is traded and I doubt the JG led Patriots sniff .500 this year.

Every GM who needed a QB this past offseason and failed to offer at least a 1st and 2nd for Garappolo should be fired, with the exception of Houston who took Watson. Jimmy's play this year and going forward will make that plain. Two firsts was a fair price, and the QB hungry teams in the league should have paid it. The Chicagos, Arizonas, Clevelands, and other teams will regret not making a stronger bid.

Cassel did it with a playoff team. They were a playoff team before and after him. The team didn't make the playoffs because of him.

Lets look at the 5 Pats losses

Wk3: Miami 38-13. The Wildcat game. Good chance of a loss even with Brady
Wk6: @SD 30-10. Good Chance of a loss even with a Brady. Brady thew 3 ints against SD in 2007 AFCCG
Wk9: @Indy 18-15. I think Brady gets us the win here
Wk11: NYJ. Cassel had 400 yards passing and 62 rushing.
Wk13 @Pitts 30-10. Cassel had 4 turnovers and Brady doesn't lose to Pitts, so call this a Brady win.

So Brady gets the Pats a likely 2 more wins over Cassel.

There is a reason people were high on Cassel after the 2008 season.

Lets look at the 5 Pats losses

Wk3: Miami 38-13. The Wildcat game. Good chance of a loss even with Brady
Wk6: @SD 30-10. Good Chance of a loss even with a Brady. Brady thew 3 ints against SD in 2007 AFCCG
Wk9: @Indy 18-15. I think Brady gets us the win here
Wk11: NYJ. Cassel had 400 yards passing and 62 rushing.
Wk13 @Pitts 30-10. Cassel had 4 turnovers and Brady doesn't lose to Pitts, so call this a Brady win.

So Brady gets the Pats a likely 2 more wins over Cassel.

There is a reason people were high on Cassel after the 2008 season.

Are you high right now?

Including a game winning drive for a FG. It's getting harder and harder to root for him. I'm starting to feel sick that we had to let a QB this talented walk. And for almost nothing in return. Ugh.
Some QB wins the Super Bowl every year. A lot of the time it is Tom Brady. If he can win a couple more it does not matter that Jimmy G is gone. Rodgers has one. You need a good team. I think the 49ers are going to be one though. Let's be one too, with Brady, and after.

I'm thrilled that Jimmy G had a big game and that he's having success with the 49ers. It was very cool seeing the players mobbing the kicker after the game winning field goal. For pro players to get so excited about winning a game that put them at 4-10 is great.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Frankly, I think it's kind of hilarious that the Patriots won one of the bigger regular season games in recent memory thanks to a clutch drive by our QB and offense...and instead of enjoying it - a few posters are still wringing their hands over a QB who is no longer on the team, wasn't particularly "amazing" when he was here, and wishing he was still here because he did well against some awful competition.

Now this I can agree with! Two of these threads popped up like 10 minutes after our amazing win which I find absurd

Including a game winning drive for a FG. It's getting harder and harder to root for him. I'm starting to feel sick that we had to let a QB this talented walk. And for almost nothing in return. Ugh.
Absolutely!! It does make you sick because you see his potential and you see the cracks in the 40 year old Brady foundation starting to show up every week. Belichick has to be sick because it's obvious he wanted to hang onto Jimmy G.

Now this I can agree with! Two of these threads popped up like 10 minutes after our amazing win which I find absurd
Until Jimmy has anything close to an MVP season, on a team that earns a playoff spot, and actually wins one playoff game I am not going to hand wring anything about this. Also, btw, they waited as long as they could. And Brady may win the Super Bowl this year, and says he wants to keep playing 3 or 4 more. Jeez I don't know what people think else the Pats could have done with all this? let's hope we get a good player with that pick, and Brady keeps playing setting every kind of record.
@Pessimistic Pete .. Pete I think I responded to you by mistake and meant to respond to whoever you were responding too..

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back