PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy G over 380 yards today (week 15)

Just stop it. You cannot tag Garoppolo and pay TB 22m at the same time. Garoppolo is gone either way after this season. We would be lucky to get a 3rd if we tag and trade.
I really think BB was hoping Jimmy G would agree to an extension and when it became clear JG was not going to agree to that BB pulled the trigger.

Until Jimmy has anything close to an MVP season, on a team that earns a playoff spot, and actually wins one playoff game I am not going to hand wring anything about this. Also, btw, they waited as long as they could. And Brady may win the Super Bowl this year, and says he wants to keep playing 3 or 4 more. Jeez I don't know what people think else the Pats could have done with all this? let's hope we get a good player with that pick, and Brady keeps playing setting every kind of record.
There is no way Brady is playing another 3 or 4 years. MAX 2 more years.

The two biggest knocks on Jimmy & Carr were how they handled pressure coming out.
Jimmy couldn't "feel" the pocket collapse around him. Since then he's done a lot better job manipulating his own surroundings.

He played ball here the entire time and never became a problem even though he could have.

That team could very good, very soon.

If I'm SF I continue to focus Defense & Oline priority #1.

Buckner, Thomas, Armstead, Foster, Witherspoon, Tartt is a pretty good bunch to start with.

On offense get used to Garoppolo to Kittle

Based on... an arbitrary age number? Statistically these last two years have been some of his finest. It’s not too farteched to think any more that we may have a man at QB who’s actually defying Father Time. He’s playing at a level that wins you Super Bowls. His last year will be when he plays at a manning-esque level 9 TDs-17 int, and I don’t see that being next year. People need to buckle up for 3-4 more years — He’s reinventing longevity.

Brady since returning from suspension last year ( playoffs included)
25-4...... 730/1090..66.93% for 8854 yards which is 305.3 ypg 63 TD and 12 int.
Oh and a QB rating of 106.4

I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical of the extreme longevity claims out there when the guy is breaking unknown territory as it is, but I think you have to wait until he actually starts not being one of the best quarterbacks in the entire NFL before you can comfortably predict the beginning of the end times

Brady is traded and I doubt the JG led Patriots sniff .500 this year.

I think Garrapolo is a good player, and they would have been in playoff contention with him, but you still don’t get rid of the best player to play the game when they are still at the top of their game. The Patriots developed a good young player in case Brady deteriorated the way everyone else before him did at his age, but he didn’t, and he’s been the best player in the game since Garrapolo was drafted, and he continues to be the best player in football. Hopefully they find a QB prospect in this draft they can groom to replace a Brady in three to four years, as that’s when he is really retiring,

Seriously, it is what it is. JG has (possibly) a brilliant future. Don’t forget, we don’t know how many 16-game seasons we’ll see. Even if we don’t have him, I hope it’s a fluke that when he was up he got injured in game 2. I like the Brady Backup League, and I always root for our (former) guys.

But the only givens is David. Brady Cliff might be next year or in 5. He was throwing beautiful long stuff to Cooks last night, at age 40. Uncharted territory. The day will come when he won’t be able to throw anything except his back out. That day seems no closer in G13, 2017, than in 2007.

That might all be in the past starting next week. Or, it might be 5 years.

It’s a no brainer that he’s one week closer to the end of his career than last week. So is JG.

Just enjoy the (continuing) ride.

I think Garrapolo is a good player, and they would have been in playoff contention with him, but you still don’t get rid of the best player to play the game when they are still at the top of their game. The Patriots developed a good young player in case Brady deteriorated the way everyone else before him did at his age, but he didn’t, and he’s been the best player in the game since Garrapolo was drafted, and he continues to be the best player in football. Hopefully they find a QB prospect in this draft they can groom to replace a Brady in three to four years, as that’s when he is really retiring,

Completely agree. Very skeptical though that JG would be able to withstand the losses this team has had on offense. I looked up the box score of his games last year. 2/3 of his pass yards last season were to guys who have not played for much or all of the season. And the OL has had growing pains early on.

Based on... an arbitrary age number? Statistically these last two years have been some of his finest. It’s not too farteched to think any more that we may have a man at QB who’s actually defying Father Time. He’s playing at a level that wins you Super Bowls. His last year will be when he plays at a manning-esque level 9 TDs-17 int, and I don’t see that being next year. People need to buckle up for 3-4 more years — He’s reinventing longevity.

He has to keep playing. If he loses his insurance there’s a lot that Medicare doesn’t cover.

Completely agree. Very skeptical though that JG would be able to withstand the losses this team has had on offense. I looked up the box score of his games last year. 2/3 of his pass yards last season were to guys who have not played for much or all of the season. And the OL has had growing pains early on.
Well, he's taken a guy at SF who was averaging 2 catches a game for the season and he's averaged 9 a game since JG came on.

Completely agree. Very skeptical though that JG would be able to withstand the losses this team has had on offense.

He threw for 380 yards with Marquise Goodwin, Kendrick Bourne, Garret Celek, and George Kittle as his top targets.

Im pretty sure Gronk, Cooks, and Amendola are an UPGRADE over that group.

I looked up the box score of his games last year. 2/3 of his pass yards last season were to guys who have not played for much or all of the season. And the OL has had growing pains early on.

Yeah because Gronk was hurt and Cooks was in NO.

The good news for the Patriots is that BB seems pretty good at finding QBs. Ignoring his drafting of the GOAT in the 6th round.

For the past 10 years, other than Mallet, who didn't amount to anything:
UFDA Hoyer: 37 starts, probably only Browns starting QB with a winning record since they were reincarnated
7th round Cassel: Didn't even play in college. 81 NFL starts
3rd round Brisset: After one year behind Brady became Colts starter. 15 starts
late 2nd round JG: Division 2 college QB to future NFL HOFer :D

Does anyone have a better track record of finding an developing QBs?

Basically if BB ever picks a QB in the 1st(even high 2nd with the JG pick) and lets him set behind Brady you can pretty much start casting HOF bust.

He threw for 380 yards with Marquise Goodwin, Kendrick Bourne, Garret Celek, and George Kittle as his top targets.

Im pretty sure Gronk, Cooks, and Amendola are an UPGRADE over that group.

Yeah because Gronk was hurt and Cooks was in NO.

Brady got by just fine without JE, Mitchell and Hogan. Could JG do the same in this system? I have my doubts.

Everyone’s entitled to disagree but I just don’t see this “amazing” or future HOF QB in JG that others see I guess. At least not when he was here. Let’s also not start wringing our hands till we see how he does against better competition.

Last edited:
Here’s a somewhat outlandish thought. It’s very possible that at the start of this season the two best QB’s in the entire NFL were on our roster.

A lot of people talked about Montana/Young and it seems that comparison was pretty accurate.

We really have an embarrassment of riches here. Belichick is a God among men. What a freakin genius. That fact any of us (myself included) are wringing our hands over Jimmy being gone is a testament to just how lucky (and spoiled) we are.

Enjoy every minute of this guys, there will never be another run like what we’ve had for almost the last two decades. It’s mind blowing.

My son and I root for the local college team, the USF Bulls. The recently lost a heart breaker to UCF and my son was upset afterwards and I told him, dude that’s what it’s like to be a fan of other teams. We are so spoiled being Pats fans, you have no idea how good we’ve had it.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back