PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy G and His Crew Smeared Jax...Are They REALLY Elite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brit patriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Now it is fair to say that Jax do certain stuff very well, and that has been discussed here. However, I keep going back to that SF game where Jimmy G waxed Jax with his crew of receivers who have been underwhelming (granted, I like the look of Taylor).

We are hearing how this Jax defence is like the Giants in 07 or the Broncos in 15, or peak Seattle. and that the fact that Pitt got over 500 yards was a blip. However, those three teams I mentioned would never have let SF get 40+ on them.

Have Jax benefitted from having a division full of non-elite QB's? Is there a chance that though they do stuff well, there is certain stuff which BB and JM will see and rub their hands with glee about when it comes to moving the ball?

Now it is fair to say that Jax do certain stuff very well, and that has been discussed here. However, I keep going back to that SF game where Jimmy G waxed Jax with his crew of receivers who have been underwhelming (granted, I like the look of Taylor).

We are hearing how this Jax defence is like the Giants in 07 or the Broncos in 15, or peak Seattle. and that the fact that Pitt got over 500 yards was a blip. However, those three teams I mentioned would never have let SF get 40+ on them.

Have Jax benefitted from having a division full of non-elite QB's? Is there a chance that though they do stuff well, there is certain stuff which BB and JM will see and rub their hands with glee about when it comes to moving the ball?

Jacksonville Jaguars Strength of Schedule - 2017 - .431 (T-30th)

Interesting to see that in black and white.

Bar a one off against Pitt early in the season, it seems they only ever really shut down teams down is when they are playing the likes of Kizer, Savage, Taylor and guys of that ilk. Elsewhere they always seem to be giving up north of 20 points, even when it is against the likes of McCown. Then there is a chance when the QB is really good they end up like sieve.

Then there is a chance when the QB is really good they end up like sieve.

Now you have taken it a few steps too far. They are definitely a very good defense and not a sieve. But at the same time they are not great and certainly nothing historical.

I'm not the biggest believer in SOS, and if they were in the .470s or so, I'd probably call it a wash.

If you really want to cherry-pick, take out the Week 5 game at Pittsburgh, and their SOS drops to .415

Now you have taken it a few steps too far. They are definitely a very good defense and not a sieve. But at the same time they are not great and certainly nothing historical.

OK, sieve was over the top, maybe a bit porous. Just the writer in me differentiating between giving up 20 plus to 40 plus. Certainly well aware they do some stuff well and have good players.

If you adjust for opponent, as DVOA does, they had by far the best passing defense in football but one of the worst run defenses. It'll be a slog. Dion and Burkhead better be ready.

As for the 49ers, the Patriots lost to Miami this year, we shouldn't be too quick to point fingers.

If you adjust for opponent, as DVOA does, they had by far the best passing defense in football but one of the worst run defenses. It'll be a slog. Dion and Burkhead better be ready.

As for the 49ers, the Patriots lost to Miami this year, we shouldn't be too quick to point fingers.

Patriots didn't give up 44 points.

Divisional games are always the toughest games to me. I mean, Jax was swept by the Titans this year.

the jags are jekyll and hyde......at pittsburgh was the first time they had a decent game on the road in a very long time

IMO: If our O-Line can keep Tom clean long enough against their front four, we'll have an advantage in the middle of the field and should be able to move the ball.

Also, we've managed to revive our screen game at the right time of the season.

Should be an interesting game.

Divisional games are always the toughest games to me. I mean, Jax was swept by the Titans this year.

This. You play all3 divisional opponents twice a year. Like Belichick said, there's no secrets there. Everyone in the division knows everyone else's tendencies, plays, etc, because they see each other so often. So those games are always dogfights and they always come down to which team executes better, makes more plays, etc.

OK, sieve was over the top, maybe a bit porous. Just the writer in me differentiating between giving up 20 plus to 40 plus. Certainly well aware they do some stuff well and have good players.

I see what you did there. I hope you don't drain yourself with all this literary effort. :)

Mate,I am currently writing an article on Cybersecurity.....I am posting here so I don't kill myself!

I hear you. I'm also looking at deadlines for writing that needs to get done, and waiting for to hear back from the DoD about whether can include some stuff that was classified 40 years ago. They're taking their sweet time in responding to me. Sigh.

I could use a pint of bitters and a glass of Navy Rum.

I think this is definitely relevant as context. I think it's two fold:

1. Very good defense.
2. Very easy schedule

Most of the league is bad or mediocre, so yes, a lot of newer teams that are playoff teams like a Tenn or a Jax, have somewhat of a bloated standing based on how poor the product is in the NFL.

This doesn't really matter come Sunday, but I do find it disingenuous from the media, because is the situation was reversed, and NE had such a weak schedule, allowing 30+ points per game late in the year, we would never hear the end of it.

IMO: If our O-Line can keep Tom clean long enough against their front four, we'll have an advantage in the middle of the field and should be able to move the ball.

Also, we've managed to revive our screen game at the right time of the season.

Should be an interesting game.

I agree 100 percent, but would add that we need to avoid turnovers. The jags seem to feed on them, so we need to starve them.

The jags figured out Ben real quick in the first Steelers game and by the second game, they were in his head.

Well, with a B Squad D and no Gronk or Hogan. I mean, Hogan played, but he wasn't ready.

And, Brady rarely plays well down there.

Jax's D lacks depth and it may be what is costing them now, so late in the year.

The Seattle style of D, where you just pin back your ears from day 1 in Sept, and just keep going, it wears on teams. It's hard to maintain.

Jags have one of the NFL's best defenses.
So do the Patriots.
Matter of fact, if you're truly objective,Pats D is slightly better than Jax' right now- over the last half of the season- and that carries more weight than season- long stats.
For all the hype and worrying about Jags very good D- the bigger question is how in the world is the jags O gonna score on the Pats very good D?

Jags have one of the NFL's best defenses.
So do the Patriots.
Matter of fact, if you're truly objective,Pats D is slightly better than Jax' right now- over the last half of the season- and that carries more weight than season- long stats.
For all the hype and worrying about Jags very good D- the bigger question is how in the world is the jags O gonna score on the Pats very good D?

Agreed. I think the difference is the media coverage. I had mentioned last week that people will be shocked with how good our D would look vs Tenn, yet all the media does is regurgitate rhetoric that may not even be that accurate.

I was having a conversation with a co-worker who is a Lions fan, just yesterday, and he literally said "it was surprising to see Pitt give up so many points since they have such a great defense"...

I was like "dude, they've been giving up 30 points per game on average at home for like 2 months."

It's amazing what the average fan doesn't know when the information is readily available to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes