PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets Safety Eric Smith fined 50K and suspended one game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Jets Safety Eric Smith fined 50K and suspended one game

Technically, since this is a PATS fan site, he isn't a homer.

I'm a homer. He'd be a homer if he went to a Jets board to discuss his team. Here he is just a troll.

Dont I have to be someone who provides no insight to the board and someone who tries to gain negative comments to be a troll?:confused:

You can observe what happened but you cannot observe intent.

The suspension was for what he did, not what he intended to do.

Thats why I have no issue with them suspending him for one game. My only issue is that why doesnt the NFL suspend every helmet to helmet hit like this then? If Boldin walks off fine after that play do you think Smith gets suspended? Once again I have no problem suspending Smith just be consistent.

Technically, since this is a PATS fan site, he isn't a homer.

I'm a homer. He'd be a homer if he went to a Jets board to discuss his team. Here he is just a troll.

Nah, K-Ro isn't a troll, IMHO.

Now, FootballFanetic. THAT was a troll.

Nah, K-Ro isn't a troll, IMHO.

Now, FootballFanetic. THAT was a troll.
you do really like me:D

I love how the NFL.com story on this suspension goes into the rule violation to help explain the fine/suspension. Read it:

"... using any part of a player's helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/'hairline' parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily"

Hmmm... helmet, check... butt, check... violently AND unnecessary, check.

BTW, I'm talking about the hit on Brady's knee. :mad:

NFL Network and ESPN both reported this. I dont agree with the suspension b/c he did not have any intent to hurt him but it was stupid so he deserves whatever the consequences are. At least this scrub wont see the field for us against cincy.

If Kerry Rhodes did the same thing what would you think of the consequences?

When I watch the video, it looks like to me that Rhodes alters Boldin's path at the same time Smith launches himself at Boldin. Had Bodlin not been redirected, would Smith still have hit Boldin with his helmet? Would he have hit him with his shoulder? Should Smith be able to adjust to that change in a split second, in mid-air?

I guess i'm one of the few that think the NFL got this one wrong. Though it is consistent with the current NFL administration's policy of responding to the perception rather than reality.

Thats why I have no issue with them suspending him for one game. My only issue is that why doesnt the NFL suspend every helmet to helmet hit like this then? If Boldin walks off fine after that play do you think Smith gets suspended?

I agree, the NFL fine/suspension process seems to be deep into the realm of "moral luck." I think the punishment seems fair in this case, but it's disturbing to think that somebody, typically a star, has to be injured for punishment to come down. It should be about the action more than the outcome. (To be fair, much of life works the same way -- look at the huge legal difference between murder and attempted murder.)

If Kerry Rhodes did the same thing what would you think of the consequences?
If Rhodes was Eric Smith on that play I would think he deserves a fine and a possible suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back